LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Is it time for a change at RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a change at RB?

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This thread is laughable.

Gore has never been an incredible first quarter, or even first half runner. Gore has always made his money in the second half of ball games.

What do you expect from the guy? Hes not getting his carries and the guys in front of him are blocking like s**t. Even Hunter was getting hit in the backfeild.

We have one of these threads every year BTW. EVERY YEAR. Im 99.9% positie we had one last season and gore went on to have arguably his best season as a 49er.

We are 1-1 going into week 3. Some of you guys need your heads checked.

If we have this thread every year it will eventually catch up. Just saying. Lattimore was drafted as high as he was by Baalke for a reason. He was projected to not even be drafted. Baalke was not going to let someone else snatch him up. Gore has no burst and no speed left. Just power runs up the gut. He will be one of the greatest 49ers IMO but we have to learn to move on.
Originally posted by 951NINER:

Gore has never been an incredible first quarter, or even first half runner. Gore has always made his money in the second half of ball games.

What do you expect from the guy? Hes not getting his carries and the guys in front of him are blocking like s**t. Even Hunter was getting hit in the backfeild.

We have one of these threads every year BTW. EVERY YEAR. Im 99.9% positie we had one last season and gore went on to have arguably his best season as a 49er.

If we have this thread every year it will eventually catch up. Just saying. Lattimore was drafted as high as he was by Baalke for a reason. He was projected to not even be drafted. Baalke was not going to let someone else snatch him up. Gore has no burst and no speed left. Just power runs up the gut. He will be one of the greatest 49ers IMO but we have to learn to move on.

Look i loved the Lattimore pick, But Gore is still the best RB on this football team. Two off games where one team sold out to stop the run, and the other where we abandoned the run all together, where the oline didnt block and gore didnt get his carries doesnt change that fact.

Lattimore will likely not play a game this season unless we have injurys at the position. If its not frank it will be Hunter, and BTW, Hunter didnt exactly look like a probowler out there either.

Look i loved the Lattimore pick, But Gore is still the best RB on this football team. Two off games where one team sold out to stop the run, and the other where we abandoned the run all together, where the oline didnt block and gore didnt get his carries doesnt change that fact.

Lattimore will likely not play a game this season unless we have injurys at the position. If its not frank it will be Hunter, and BTW, Hunter didnt exactly look like a probowler out there either.

Look I agree that we have to ride Frank out, but I thought Roman took too long to use Hunter. After the 3rd qtr we had to abandon the run. So you can't say Hunter would have not done much either. I can't blame the O-line every time like a lot of people do. Gore has great vision and patience but LB are too fast now. Especially Seattle's.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Once again, this has nothing to do with Gore or Hunter. The blocking is garbage and the scheming/playcalling is even worse. Teams know when the 49ers are running and they are jumping all over them. The 49ers shifted over to this pistol/read option offense which had a nice run in the playoffs but the coaches have fallen far too in love with it. They need to get back to what worked in 2011 and most of 2012.

Agree 100%!!!! To much b******t offense!! This aint college, please run some kind of basic runs that work for gore and the HUGE line!!

Look I agree that we have to ride Frank out, but I thought Roman took too long to use Hunter. After the 3rd qtr we had to abandon the run. So you can't say Hunter would have not done much either. I can't blame the O-line every time like a lot of people do. Gore has great vision and patience but LB are too fast now. Especially Seattle's.

Nooone is blaming the Oline for the sake of blaming the Oline. Fact is they were awful last night. Truely aweful. Seattles dline was manhandling them in both the run and the passing game.

They were bad man. Real bad. The last person this loss is on is any running back.

I love how Gore has two off games due to circumstances beyond his control and all of a suden he is slow and only a power runner? Gimme a break. This is the same guy that was the best RB in the post season last year.

Fact is, for alot of reasons we cant run the football right now, least of those reasons is the guys carying the football.
FU*K!!! Living in Seattle, this next week will be hell.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
We were supposed to draft Gore's heir last year or Harbaughs first year. Hunter is not a starter. We have failed to address to drafting our future back.

Marcus Lattimore was drafted as Gore's successor.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
no.
  • dj43
Originally posted by bzborow1:
The problem the 49ers have is one of identity. When Smith was under center he was limited, which forced the 49ers to draft players and develop an identity of pounding the rock. Kaep comes along and all of a sudden that type of offense actually limits his abilities. I think the team needs to better define what it is on offense is their core competitive advantage and focus on that.

The other problem was Seattle just matches up well because they can single cover the receivers keep everyone else in the box against us. So far, they haven't figure out a way to force Seattle off that tactic.

The 49er defense played pretty well considering how bad the offense was. It was apparent the impact the loss of Reid had as Seattle really started to get things going after he left.

Week 14 should be good if Crabtree and Manningham return and play well. Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Davis is much better than the guys we trotted out there last night.

Blaming Smith for the lack of a running game now is disingenuous at best. (I could say something else but I won't) The truth is; Harbaugh has always been about a power running game with passing thrown in to keep it balanced. Of course that presumes that you must have credible WR threats. Indeed, the FO sought to provide that threat. They got lucky and Crabtree fell to them. He has developed into an effective blocker but he was drafted to present a bona fide target for Alex Smith. We all know about his hold out and lack of training camp experience up until last season, however, that had nothing to do with Smith. The bottom line is; Baalke/Harbaugh saw the need for a top tier receiver. Of course, along the way the further demonstrated that need by drafting Kyle Williams along with signing Moss and Manningham and drafting Jenkins, all of which happened while Alex Smith was still the starter...and all those moves were designed to build a DOWNFIELD passing game. The fact injuries and age precluded that happening is not the fault of the QB nor did it change the strategy of the run game.

I agree with you that Seattle matches up well, however I would state it in reverse: the 49ers, with their present lack of credible wide receivers, just does not match up well against the Seahawks. That will not change no matter who is the QB until we get a healthy group of wide receivers that demand Seattle put 4 secondary players in the defensive backfield and only 7 at the LOS. Your hope that we get that for the next meeting in December will be critical to whether or not the offense can carry their weight against the Seahawk defense.

In all this, it IS worth noting that there must be a complete and balanced offense if you are to beat Seattle. Alex Smith did a good job against most teams but in the playoffs, such as the NYG game, against a good secondary that took MC away, the passing game floundered. Then last season Crabtree got healthy, got all the way through training camp and became a weapon. Both Smith and Kaepernick made good use of him, CK more so because of his unusual arm strength. Now this year, without Crabtree, Kapernick performed poorly against a good secondary, in large part because we are back to the same problem as when Alex was at QB: lack of quality wide receivers. You MUST have both if you are to win against a good team. Kaepernick alone, as we learned last night, cannot turn Anquan Boldin into Larry Fitzgerald just because he has a cannon. That will not change.

Of course there is the other matter of play design and play calling...
I don't see how Gore or any running back could do anything in the situations we've had the first two games. Gore is literally hit in the backfield every damn play.

Come on, Niner fans. That Seattle defensive front completely dominated the Niner o-line. Nobody could have run on that defense last night. Give them their due. It wasn't Frank Gore. It was the Seattle defense - they were awesome last night. And, there is no doubt about it. The silent count gives their defense an added little jump. When the o-line can't really hear and is waiting for the snap, there is a split-second of delay that they don't have in a normal game situation. It's a tremendous advantage for the Seahawks at home - even more than I thought going in.
the philosophy is the problem, not gore. we need to use the read option, pistol stuff a lot less and lineup in the I and other prosets. give gore a fullback ahead of him and hes still a top 5 back in this league. we let the legend of the pistol offense get out of hand. gotta go back to what we were doing with smith when we had tons of success the last two years.
No one complained about the pistol offense or read option plays last year in the playoffs. Now it's a problem?

And the same guys blaming the offensive line every time we can't run the ball are the same people that want to sign Iupati to a mega deal.
  • dj43
Nooone is blaming the Oline for the sake of blaming the Oline. Fact is they were awful last night. Truely aweful. Seattles dline was manhandling them in both the run and the passing game.

They were bad man. Real bad. The last person this loss is on is any running back.

I love how Gore has two off games due to circumstances beyond his control and all of a suden he is slow and only a power runner? Gimme a break. This is the same guy that was the best RB in the post season last year.

Fact is, for alot of reasons we cant run the football right now, least of those reasons is the guys carying the football.
It was much more scheme than personnel. Seattle committed 8 men to the box most of the night. The result was that even when the 49ers held in Davis AND another blocker, the OL was still out-numbered. Also, rather than line up on the head of each offensive lineman, they lined up in the gaps, thereby taking away any angle advantage the OL tried to use to blast open a hole. So all that, plus a roving safety to follow the ball (often 240 pound Kam Chancellor), there was just no way to run the ball.

For this I spread the blame to Harbaugh and Roman and their failure to use the short passing zones behind those 8 man fronts. The Great Harbaugh is more responsible for this failure than any of his players. Seattle did the same thing at the end of the season last year. Harbaugh must have thrown away that tape, or just never looked at it because Carroll came out and dared him to prove he had learned how to counter, and now we know he hadn't learned. If this had been a new strategy, there might be some excuse but every high school coach in the nation knows you must be able to pass in order to beat an 8 man front. Why Harbaugh got beat by the same strategy two years in a row is puzzling and disturbing.
No one complained about the pistol offense or read option plays last year in the playoffs. Now it's a problem?

And the same guys blaming the offensive line every time we can't run the ball are the same people that want to sign Iupati to a mega deal.
we caught everyone with their pants down last year since we only ran the pistol after kap went it, everyone has had an entire offseason to study it now and look what happened. we couldnt run the last two weeks. even against greenbay where the threat to pass was HELLA established early on and we still couldnt get anything goin on the ground
Share 49ersWebzone