There are 189 users in the forums

Is it time for a change at RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a change at RB?

It's time to get back to some good old fashion bully ball, not this cute ish we've been doing. Protect your young qb by running the ball and pick your spots for the big play. Lets get back to basics!!!
I've been saying for a while now that Gore is not a starter quality anymore. He's just got too much wear & tear. He had a Great 8 year run of being the only offense for a few years and even the leading receiver but its time. They should start Hunter, sprinkle in some James,Dixon and even Gore to run the clock out. But Gore does not strike fear into opposing defenses as he used to.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Yes I'm talking about Gore. We all know that he's up there in age. And while he still may be a great blocker, it's evident that his power, vision and speed are second class.

We can't have Kaep be our leading rusher every game. It puts too much stress on him and is not sustainable. At the very least, the carries need to be a lot more evenly divided amongst the other backs.

This is the same s**t people said week 2 of the season in 2011 about Frank. Get back to me when you know football.

Great input to the conversation.

Trust me your conversation isn't worth it.

Then your posts are not needed in here. Thanks.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 16, 2013 at 7:30 AM ]
They were stacking the box and then dropping at the last minute or blitzing...sound familiar? The Ravens Super Bowl strategy? And just as the Ravens did, they handled our OLine fairly well, collapsing the middle. Not necessarily Gore as I'm not sure anyone can run through non-existent holes.
The o-line definitely played subpar in the running game yesterday. However as other have pointed out, Gore has faced stacked boxes throughout his career yet he has rarely looked so sluggish. It's possible that these two games could be anomalies but we'll see as the season progresses.

I think it's reasonable to say that Gore is on the slow downslope of his career. The question becomes when is it time to have a change at RB or a more equitable workload distribution.
Yes I'm talking about Gore. We all know that he's up there in age. And while he still may be a great blocker, it's evident that his power, vision and speed are second class.

We can't have Kaep be our leading rusher every game. It puts too much stress on him and is not sustainable. At the very least, the carries need to be a lot more evenly divided amongst the other backs.

Oh, hell but no. Now we iz blaming Frank Gore? Are you serious?
Originally posted by jreff22:
We need to put Kap under center and run the I. And occasionally play action out of it. This crap of being in the shotgun all the time is hurting the running game.

Yes! **** yes!.... THIS!

The problem is not Gore, it is the Pistol formation. The 49ers need to get back to QB under center I formation and run the rock. Our oline is made up of maulers, so let them maul. Colin can pass from under center, so let him. The pistol should be used 10-15 times a game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the offensive line acts like they forgot how to run block. it is that simple. all gore needs is a small opening and he can not get that. we saw what took place when we tried to get hunter out on a sweep. there is nothing wrong with our running backs. the impotence of the o line in two games in this area is something i was not prepared to see this year. if this same thing takes place this sunday, i think we are in trouble this year. we are a run first team, we have to run. that sets the table for everything else we do and keeps us from getting predictable on third down
Originally posted by JR80Forever:

The problem is not Gore, it is the Pistol formation. The 49ers need to get back to QB under center I formation and run the rock. Our oline is made up of maulers, so let them maul. Colin can pass from under center, so let him. The pistol should be used 10-15 times a game.

I think that they should abandon it completely right now. They should go back to the offense they ran with Alex Smith, not as conservative with the dinky dunk passes, but get back to those I-formation and double TE and extra lineman running plays and then just maul the opponents. Once they re-establish that offense then they can throw in some pistol again.

It has been two weeks and the read-option and pistol package hasn't worked for the 49ers. I so no reason in trying to force the issue when they were more successful trying to run their regular WCO with power running.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by lamontb:
The o line has been the issue not Gore. Also Bruce Miller blocking has been trash.

Bruce Miller is a waste of a roster spot, we need a fullback that is a threat to run, and receive, or we shouldn't bother carrying one on the roster.

wow 1 bad game and here come the fans who complete trash players and say they suck, You guys are barely fans anyway, giving up players that fast.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by jreff22:
We need to put Kap under center and run the I. And occasionally play action out of it. This crap of being in the shotgun all the time is hurting the running game.

Yes! **** yes!.... THIS!

What do you think we've been doing. Jesus do you guys watch these games? I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet we run the I formation more than any other. I know the I and inverted I were the primary positions we ran against Green bay. The I is the entire problem. In the I your running 2WR 1TE 1FB/TE and 1 RB. The problem is that when you only run 2 WR all you have to do is man the WRs. All you need is 1 FS to play over the top. Defense then drop the SS in the box effectively playing 8 men in the box. On passing plays then SS then switches to man on the TE. 2 of the LB are man on the RB and HB. The 3 LB is a spy that watches for the QB run and plays zone on the underneath crossing routes. We need to run more 3 WR 1TE 1RB or 4WR 1TE. Kaep was hardly in shotgun this game. They only stated running shotgun the game after we were like 15 down. We need to evolve. We need to turn Kaep into a comfortable pocket passer.
I don't think it's any secret that Gore runs better out of "traditional" power formations, with QB under center and a FB lead-blocker...the most "success" they had last night was the couple power runs they did do. IIRC, Gore may have even said he prefers those formations. But the read-option out of the Pistol worked for the most part over the latter part of last season.

Not the case now....defenses are prepared for it, and combine that with some shoddy OL play and HC/OC extremely stubborn about insisting it will work and you have the recipe for disaster.

And how ironic that the 49ers offense can't gain even a few yards with the read-option, yet the Niner D got absolutely abused with it last night. The Seahawks were just either foolish or charitable when they would try some kind of a stretch or sweep, because if they would've stuck with the RO Lynch could've had 150-yds and Wilson another 50.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Thing is, we didn't do that much pistol against the Pack, right? I mean Colin played a great deal from under center and made the throws. So, why yesterday did we do it so much? Pass rush? Noise issue?

We are supposed to be a bruising bully, I say, and a lot of your agree, get back to it. Let Frank prove he is done. Better to identify it now then mask it all season. My hope is that he is not. If he is, though, he is. The man is a helluva a competitor and regardless I will always appreciate the Tank. So, again, I say give him the opportunity to prove himself. Who knows, he is, as others have observed, a slow starter. My concern is not about the amount of yards, but who he is compiling them against.
[ Edited by fropwns on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
What do you think we've been doing. Jesus do you guys watch these games? I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet we run the I formation more than any other.

Admittedly was drunk and exhausted as I watched last night... but seems to me you are wrong. Will have to get back to you on that, if I can stomach another watch-through.
Share 49ersWebzone