There are 205 users in the forums

Is it time for a change at RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a change at RB?

Originally posted by SofaKing:
No. We've had this discussion before and Frank has always proven us wrong. It's not the first time he's started the year slowly.

Seems like it, huh? I do need to see something from him in the next couple weeks tho, cause he hasn't done anything thus far.
The fan boys here don't want to hear it but Gore is not the answer at running back. He's a great short yardage back (goal line carry against green bay) but he does not have the speed nor the power to be a 3 down back anymore.
I think a few reasons:

-harbaugh/roman being too predictable in the run game (what happened to 2011 run formations?).
-fake hand off on the read option every play not fooling anyone and wasting time for kap
-need to get back to basic run formations, i formation, etc
-need to get hunter in there more, mix it up a bit more... no idea why hunter only got 1 run or whatever it was
-ol needs to man up.they got the hype now as one of the best ol's/best run blocking ol and they might have been last year but cant regress
-first 2 teams good defenses against the run who both played to stop the run
-i don't think frank will be with us after 2014 when his contract is up... hunter a fa after 14 as well... have to choose lattimore, hunter, james... sucks but might be time to move on, offer frank assistant job to rathman or something like that if he wants it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM ]
when we run power plays and we run traps and whams and pull our guards and he can't get through the holes then its time to worry.

every time he touches the ball in the cute running plays a defender is there before he even gets started.

that's not niners football and unless you're lesean mccoy you're going to get tackled.

and stop giving him those no hope of working runs either.. pass on 1st and 2nd then 3rd and 10 give him an inside hand off.

its disrespectful
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
The fan boys here don't want to hear it but Gore is not the answer at running back. He's a great short yardage back (goal line carry against green bay) but he does not have the speed nor the power to be a 3 down back anymore.

he doesn't need to be a 3 down back i thought that was the point of us having so many...

he does need to have open holes and the plays don't have any.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
No. We've had this discussion before and Frank has always proven us wrong. It's not the first time he's started the year slowly.

Seems like it, huh? I do need to see something from him in the next couple weeks tho, cause he hasn't done anything thus far.

I agree. He has to show something. He's looked slow. But I won't doubt him yet.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM ]
I agree. He has to show something. He's looked slow. But I won't doubt him yet.

Me either but I think it's in the back of most peoples head.
The 49ers came in this game thinking they continue to pound the rock. Hawks lined 8 in the box on first and second. Gore had a tough time fighting through the extra tacklers. Our receivers couldn't beat press, so their safety didn't feel the need to back off. This isn't the 2006 Seahawks defense folks.
I am willing to give Frank more time. I love Frank. I personally wouldn't bench him and I would say "no" right up until the point that Harbs decides that's the move that needs to be made. Packers game was an aberration since they sold out so hard to stop the run, and then our performances in SEA should not be used as measuring sticks since it's pretty clear that the new normal is that we always play like s**t up there.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
No it's time for a change in our run philosophy... Let's run some more power formations, and lets hand the ball off more. We have gotten away from that, and that's where Gore excels not 5 yards back in a pistol formation.

So maybe actually, if we want to continue to run pistol so often. Get LMJ or Hunter out there.

this. I think we need to do a better job of rotating our RBs and running Gore way less out of the pistol/read option and go with Hunter more and LMJ when he gets back. Long term, let's hope Gore gets back to being Frank Gore this season and we all need to pray that Hunter gets back to the form he showed the last 2 seasons and really pray that Marcus Lattimore can be a stud next season, we're going to need him.
I think they are stacking the box massively to stop our read option and Gore too. And the O Line has not played well. I don't think Gore is the problem.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
No it's time for a change in our run philosophy... Let's run some more power formations, and lets hand the ball off more. We have gotten away from that, and that's where Gore excels not 5 yards back in a pistol formation.

So maybe actually, if we want to continue to run pistol so often. Get LMJ or Hunter out there.

This all the way, cant put it any better
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yes I'm talking about Gore. We all know that he's up there in age. And while he still may be a great blocker, it's evident that his power, vision and speed are second class.

We can't have Kaep be our leading rusher every game. It puts too much stress on him and is not sustainable. At the very least, the carries need to be a lot more evenly divided amongst the other backs.

Our offensive line could not open any holes for our running backs including the very young and fast running back Kendal Hunter.
frank gore of a few years ago would have made something happen last night. I hope you guys are right and its scheme f**king him. he does not look like frank gore through the first 2 games.
Share 49ersWebzone