LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 419 users in the forums

Your Concerns And Issues Discussion And Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Concerns And Issues Discussion And Poll

• mayo49
  • Veteran
You can add penalties to the concerns as we are the second most penalized team in the league.
Originally posted by mayo49:
You can add penalties to the concerns as we are the second most penalized team in the league.

A couple of penalties killed us last night.
Here is a penalty-by-penalty description of Sunday's infractions:

1. False start, Anquan Boldin (5 yards): This third-series snafu resulted in a second-and-11 situation and eventual punt.

2. Delay of game, Colin Kepernick (5 yards): One play after Boldin's error, the 49ers failed to get the snap off in time on third-and-11. Surprisingly, this was their only delay-of-game call all night.

3. Pass interference, Carlos Rogers (7 yards): Russell Wilson was 0-of-5 when he started the Seahawks' third series with a short pass to Sidney Rice when Rogers interfered.

4. Holding, Bruce Miller (4 yards): Miller tackled Malcolm Smith to the ground in the end zone to result in a safety and a 2-0 deficit.

5. Holding, Tramaine Brock (0 yards): Called for three special-teams penalties last week, Brock committed a hold on a second-quarter punt return that ended the first half.

6. Face mask, Ahmad Brooks (10 yards): Russell Wilson had conceded an 8-yard sack when Brooks' hand met Wilson's facemask. "I didn't mean it," Brooks said afterward.

7. False start, Mike Iupati (5 yards): Two snaps after getting plowed over, Iupati committed a false start. The 49ers have six false-start penalties through two games.

8. Pass interference, Nnamdi Asomugha (40 yards): Asomugha ran with Golden Tate down the right sideline without looking back for the football before it was too late.

9. Unnecessary roughness, Aldon Smith (14 yards): The 49ers' frustrations became evident by this point, when Smith slapped a Seahawks helmet after a 15-yard completion. Smith, who had two sacks, tackled Wilson for a 3-yard loss on the next play.

10. Unsportsmanlike conduct, Vance McDonald (15 yards): The rookie tight end lost his cool and shoved linebacker K.J. Wright after a fourth-quarter play.

11. Holding, Perrish Cox (10 yards): Trailing by 19 points with 5:13 left, Cox held on a punt return and the 49ers' final series started at their 13-yard line.

12. Unnecessary roughness, Anthony Davis (6 yards): Davis capped off the line's miserable night with a shove that he tried justifying later on Twitter: "The penalty. In physical combat/Oline play it's human nature to fight or flight when your backs against the wall. Never flight. Sue me."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/09/16/second-most-penalties-in-league-have-created-troubling-trend-for-49ers/#more-13195
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Here is a penalty-by-penalty description of Sunday's infractions:

1. False start, Anquan Boldin (5 yards): This third-series snafu resulted in a second-and-11 situation and eventual punt.

2. Delay of game, Colin Kepernick (5 yards): One play after Boldin's error, the 49ers failed to get the snap off in time on third-and-11. Surprisingly, this was their only delay-of-game call all night.

3. Pass interference, Carlos Rogers (7 yards): Russell Wilson was 0-of-5 when he started the Seahawks' third series with a short pass to Sidney Rice when Rogers interfered.

4. Holding, Bruce Miller (4 yards): Miller tackled Malcolm Smith to the ground in the end zone to result in a safety and a 2-0 deficit.

5. Holding, Tramaine Brock (0 yards): Called for three special-teams penalties last week, Brock committed a hold on a second-quarter punt return that ended the first half.

6. Face mask, Ahmad Brooks (10 yards): Russell Wilson had conceded an 8-yard sack when Brooks' hand met Wilson's facemask. "I didn't mean it," Brooks said afterward.

7. False start, Mike Iupati (5 yards): Two snaps after getting plowed over, Iupati committed a false start. The 49ers have six false-start penalties through two games.

8. Pass interference, Nnamdi Asomugha (40 yards): Asomugha ran with Golden Tate down the right sideline without looking back for the football before it was too late.

9. Unnecessary roughness, Aldon Smith (14 yards): The 49ers' frustrations became evident by this point, when Smith slapped a Seahawks helmet after a 15-yard completion. Smith, who had two sacks, tackled Wilson for a 3-yard loss on the next play.

10. Unsportsmanlike conduct, Vance McDonald (15 yards): The rookie tight end lost his cool and shoved linebacker K.J. Wright after a fourth-quarter play.

11. Holding, Perrish Cox (10 yards): Trailing by 19 points with 5:13 left, Cox held on a punt return and the 49ers' final series started at their 13-yard line.

12. Unnecessary roughness, Anthony Davis (6 yards): Davis capped off the line's miserable night with a shove that he tried justifying later on Twitter: "The penalty. In physical combat/Oline play it's human nature to fight or flight when your backs against the wall. Never flight. Sue me."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/09/16/second-most-penalties-in-league-have-created-troubling-trend-for-49ers/#more-13195

How dizzying!!!
I honestly think that Harbaugh is being way to protective of Kaepernick, but he doesn't want to lose Colin's running ability. Basically, he wants his cake and to eat it too.

Last year he was able to let Colin loose because he knew if Colin did get hurt, Alex was capable of running this offense. We all know that he has no faith in McCoy and Daniel's isn't anywhere close to ready.

If Harbaugh wants to protect Colin, he's going to have to play a more traditional offense, if he wants to unleash Colin, he's going to have to run the offense like it was last year. He can't have it both ways.
Originally posted by linkboy:
I honestly think that Harbaugh is being way to protective of Kaepernick, but he doesn't want to lose Colin's running ability. Basically, he wants his cake and to eat it too.

Last year he was able to let Colin loose because he knew if Colin did get hurt, Alex was capable of running this offense. We all know that he has no faith in McCoy and Daniel's isn't anywhere close to ready.

If Harbaugh wants to protect Colin, he's going to have to play a more traditional offense, if he wants to unleash Colin, he's going to have to run the offense like it was last year. He can't have it both ways.

Bingo.

I'm not a fan of putting him in harms way and its why I wanted the change back to normalcy. But doing a half assed approach that falls in the middle is not the answer.
Whats up with the penalties? The stat they showed last night had us as 5th worst in the league. WTF? How come Harbaugh has never corrected this?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Whats up with the penalties? The stat they showed last night had us as 5th worst in the league. WTF? How come Harbaugh has never corrected this?

2nd place now. only bucs have more penalties.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Yeah, as an irrational fan it was embarrassing, but it has to be embarrassing also for the coaches and players. At least I hope it is. A hard-fought game that you lose by 7 or even 10 points...okay, you can live with that. But to go up there just a few games removed from the last time you there, and get outplayed, outcoached, and blown out AGAIN? I know, it's just one 'L' in the standings, but just feels a lot worse than that.

a close loss like the super bowl eats at you forever because you can replay a million little things that would have made the difference because we were in the game and had a chance to win. to me getting blown out is easier to take. we were not in the game a halftime and really had little or no momentum in the first half . we did not put ourselves in a spot to win that game, we got out played and out coached as a team. we got kicked, so what. you move on, learn from it but forget it and make the next team pay. sorry to disagree but a close loss where you knew you had a chance to win is much tougher to take than a loss last night. we got kicked, fair and square, no excuses, and you move on. after tomorrow i think i will no longer be referring to last nights game. last years super bowl on the other hand lives forever in me
Listen you might think this is bs but it all falls into g or and harbaughs gameplan, they know they are going to most likely play Seattle in the playoffs so they ain't showing them s**t, just get by w/o losing too many to injury and let the She-hawks empty there play book...haha trust me

Originally posted by VA49erFaithful:
Listen you might think this is bs but it all falls into g or and harbaughs gameplan, they know they are going to most likely play Seattle in the playoffs so they ain't showing them s**t, just get by w/o losing too many to injury and let the She-hawks empty there play book...haha trust me

That's a terrible mentality to have since one game can change everything.

Want to know GB had to go to SF last year in the playoffs, the Fail Mary. That game gets called correctly and we're a Wildcard team.

Especially in a division that's going to as close as ours is, you can't afford to give any game away.
Anybody concerned over Kaps lack of accuracy through 2 games?

Both games he seemed to under/over throw receivers that would have resulted in good to great gains.

Last year I remember him putting balls on the money all over the field but he seems to be struggling through 2 weeks this year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Yeah, as an irrational fan it was embarrassing, but it has to be embarrassing also for the coaches and players. At least I hope it is. A hard-fought game that you lose by 7 or even 10 points...okay, you can live with that. But to go up there just a few games removed from the last time you there, and get outplayed, outcoached, and blown out AGAIN? I know, it's just one 'L' in the standings, but just feels a lot worse than that.

a close loss like the super bowl eats at you forever because you can replay a million little things that would have made the difference because we were in the game and had a chance to win. to me getting blown out is easier to take. we were not in the game a halftime and really had little or no momentum in the first half . we did not put ourselves in a spot to win that game, we got out played and out coached as a team. we got kicked, so what. you move on, learn from it but forget it and make the next team pay. sorry to disagree but a close loss where you knew you had a chance to win is much tougher to take than a loss last night. we got kicked, fair and square, no excuses, and you move on. after tomorrow i think i will no longer be referring to last nights game. last years super bowl on the other hand lives forever in me

How badly a loss (close game or blowout) nags at someone as a fan or player/coach isn't the point I was driving at...it was the "didn't learn anything" from the blowout just a few games ago and getting waxed again.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rondoman:
Anybody concerned over Kaps lack of accuracy through 2 games?

Both games he seemed to under/over throw receivers that would have resulted in good to great gains.

Last year I remember him putting balls on the money all over the field but he seems to be struggling through 2 weeks this year.

He looks alright, he tried to force a couple in there, but he didn't have much to choose from.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM ]
The running game. but i think it goes hand and hand with the game planing. I thought VMac was going to replace Walker? I havent seen him in any formations alongside V.D. And what happend to Kendall Hunter? some screens and some trap sweeps. Also didn't they bring in Eric Mangini for this type of thing??
Share 49ersWebzone