LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 314 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It has nothing to do with the Packers game since the team had 400 + yards passing 3 TDs and no interceptions, but there is a long term issue of the team not having a traditional deep threat at the wide receiver spot, at least no one who's established himself as such. Boldin, Manningham, and Crabtree are similar in the sense that their basic game is to be "possession" guys. It didn't affect the 49'ers against the Packers because the Packer defense was focused on stopping the read option. To do that, they basically gave up some pass rush and some coverage in exchange for having someone on the Packer side of the line of scrimmage who stayed to keep containment on the quarterback. As a result, Boldin had time to get open often well downfield and CK got more time to run around behind the line of scrimmage to give Boldin the time to do it, so long as he didn't try to head up field.

There will be games this year when the 49er's offense will need to break a wideout deep and stretch the field by actually having the ball caught once or more times during the game. This wasn't that game.

I like Williams more as a YAC type receiver than as the guy who catches the 45 yard bomb. He's not blazing fast (won't seem to outrun the ball) and he's small (he won't be physically superior to the cornerback), so he needs to be open by a lot and the ball needs to be out front. The save of the low pass he made in the Packers game was probably more the sort of play I'd expect him to make on a regular basis than the jump ball that resulted from the underthrow. Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson might have caught that ball, but Williams normally wouldn't.

The Seahawks game should be interesting. It was Ck's one game where the other team appeared to get in his head. I don't, however, think of it as the game where the need for a "stretch the d" wide receiver is going to be the big test. I see it more as a test of the progress the QB has made in a year.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I think the problem is......do we sign Crabs or Boldin to an extension? Anyway we can keep both?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KW had a good 7 yards on the defender but CK under threw it. That would've been sweet.

Agreed. Pretty surprising that Kap did that, too.

I think he missed him long a couple plays earlier...Hence shorting that one. It's emblematic of why I am not worried. The reason I think Vern and Quan shined and others didn't other than experience and talent, as they are both rare combinations of those qualities is that they were the only two in the game that had complete preseasons. Everybody else is young, raw, playing catch up, or all of the above. I would bet guys like Patton, Williams and Big Mac will start to come on over the next few games, and once Baldwin learns the offense we may see him weaved in as well, plus we will see some LMJ and Hunter throws out of the backfield. It just takes some time to build that faith and rapport, so when we are in a shoot out Kap goes to who he trusts....right now that's Vern and Bolden.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Classic webzone thread. QB throws for 3 TD's and over 400 yards. Next day: we've got a problem here!

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
kap had a 49er record breaking day and boldin goes over 200 yards and we're trying to find a PROBLEM???

Depends on how you look at it. If his "injury" was bad today we would be in a very bad place. We need one of the others to step up and take control. If Davis is in blocking we can't assume Boldin will always be open. Having a secondary WR option is a good thing.

if if if if
Originally posted by airbus:
It has nothing to do with the Packers game since the team had 400 + yards passing 3 TDs and no interceptions, but there is a long term issue of the team not having a traditional deep threat at the wide receiver spot, at least no one who's established himself as such. Boldin, Manningham, and Crabtree are similar in the sense that their basic game is to be "possession" guys. It didn't affect the 49'ers against the Packers because the Packer defense was focused on stopping the read option. To do that, they basically gave up some pass rush and some coverage in exchange for having someone on the Packer side of the line of scrimmage who stayed to keep containment on the quarterback. As a result, Boldin had time to get open often well downfield and CK got more time to run around behind the line of scrimmage to give Boldin the time to do it, so long as he didn't try to head up field.

There will be games this year when the 49er's offense will need to break a wideout deep and stretch the field by actually having the ball caught once or more times during the game. This wasn't that game.

I like Williams more as a YAC type receiver than as the guy who catches the 45 yard bomb. He's not blazing fast (won't seem to outrun the ball) and he's small (he won't be physically superior to the cornerback), so he needs to be open by a lot and the ball needs to be out front. The save of the low pass he made in the Packers game was probably more the sort of play I'd expect him to make on a regular basis than the jump ball that resulted from the underthrow. Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson might have caught that ball, but Williams normally wouldn't.

The Seahawks game should be interesting. It was Ck's one game where the other team appeared to get in his head. I don't, however, think of it as the game where the need for a "stretch the d" wide receiver is going to be the big test. I see it more as a test of the progress the QB has made in a year.

Vernon does this for us, but I would agree, one more would be nice. They are trying with Williams and he is fast enough, but I am not sure he is strong enough on the ball...Baldwin might be a good choice if he develops...another thought is to take a look at Patton, he seems to have the ball skills, and all though I would say he seems more quick in bursts than high top speed...it doesn't mean he isn't fast enough for certain.
Classic webzone thread. QB throws for 3 TD's and over 400 yards. Next day: we've got a problem here!

I don't think we have a "problem" at all...but it is something to pay attention to should it become a trend. Bolden is no puppy, if we are reliant on him, it's not exactly like the Lions leaning on Megatron here...there is some risk in being all in on a guy that age.
Originally posted by buck:
I was under the impression that our young quarterback had a pretty decent game.

His NFL passer rating was 129.4 and his espn quarterback rating was 89.8.

He completed 69.2% of his passes; 27/39. He averaged 10.6 yards per attempt.

He had 402 yards passing and 3 scores.

It's funny that Kaepernick had a mediocre game and still played extremely well. What does that say about his future? LOL...seems like he will become the best QB in the game and perhaps in the history of the game. All he has to do is keep his head on straight, stay healthy and keep developing as he has over the past two years.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It's funny that Kaepernick had a mediocre game and still played extremely well. What does that say about his future? LOL...seems like he will become the best QB in the game and perhaps in the history of the game. All he has to do is keep his head on straight, stay healthy and keep developing as he has over the past two years.

I think all 49er fans feel the same way but lets's take it one game at a time. I remember a rookie QB that played in 1969 named Greg Cook, his OC was Bill Walsh. He averaged 17 yards per completion. Coach Walsh referred to him as Montana before Montana. He was hit early in the season, tore his shoulder up and that was his career. I just hope Kaep stays healthy and does not go Hollywood. It's reaching the point where every time he takes the field the whole country is tuned in.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?

I don't think we should be worried. This team has not put a high priority on the WR position in sometime.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I think all 49er fans feel the same way but lets's take it one game at a time. I remember a rookie QB that played in 1969 named Greg Cook, his OC was Bill Walsh. He averaged 17 yards per completion. Coach Walsh referred to him as Montana before Montana. He was hit early in the season, tore his shoulder up and that was his career. I just hope Kaep stays healthy and does not go Hollywood. It's reaching the point where every time he takes the field the whole country is tuned in.

Naw...I'm going to take the whole career right now!
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

It's a different league now. Quarterbacks are placed in glass cases and touched rarely.
49ers have four pro bowl caliber o-linemen, pro bowl caliber rb, pro bowl caliber te, pro bowl caliber qb... plus boldin and more parts coming back as the season goes on... you can't have everything. not having that legitimate deep threat will hurt sometimes but seriously, this team is stacked on offense as it is.
No, it doesn't. Kap kept throwing to Boldin because Green Bay clearly didnt have an answer for him. That's how good offenses work. You keep pounding the defense until they MAKE you stop.

Share 49ersWebzone