There are 206 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Boldin was in single coverage. When teams start doubling him, then someone else will be open. Nothing to worry about here..not yet.

Boldin is such a crafty guy he can improvise and get open even if he is doubled. He can find open spots to sit in. Also, when the play breaks down and Kap gets out of the pocket and has to "make a play," Boldin knows how to help the QB out.
Classic webzone thread. QB throws for 3 TD's and over 400 yards. Next day: we've got a problem here!
If this hasn't been mentioned yet it should. Crabs and Mario are coming back, so there are 3 proven veteran WRs counting Boldin that teams have to deal with heading into the playoffs. Add a youngster like Patton as a 4th option and that's plenty of WR talent. Throw in our TEs, our run game, our QB and our head coach and the only people who have a "big problem" are opposing defenses.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Classic webzone thread. QB throws for 3 TD's and over 400 yards. Next day: we've got a problem here!

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If this hasn't been mentioned yet it should. Crabs and Mario are coming back, so there are 3 proven veteran WRs counting Boldin that teams have to deal with heading into the playoffs. Add a youngster like Patton as a 4th option and that's plenty of WR talent. Throw in our TEs, our run game, our QB and our head coach and the only people who have a "big problem" are opposing defenses.

Barring a major injury or bad luck, I don't see how a ring is not going to happen. I think the 9ers are by far the best team in the NFL right now. They were last year, but injuries had an impact...and they're better than last year.
Not really. First game. Kyle should have had that one catch. Marlon I don't expect much from. Patton will become more involved as he gets more experience.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Barring a major injury or bad luck, I don't see how a ring is not going to happen. I think the 9ers are by far the best team in the NFL right now. They were last year, but injuries had an impact...and they're better than last year.

Agreed, and even more important and unlike the previous two years, they have quality reinforcements waiting in the wings should something happen to our frontline starters or their backups. Crabs and Mario at WR, Carradine and Dial at d-line, Lattimore at RB and even Eric Wright at CB are all eligible to be activated by mid-season if needed.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Not yet. A 400 plus yard passing performance does not constitute a problem.

This.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
when it starts out,, "am i the only one who is concerned" , it probably will be nonsense
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Not really. First game. Kyle should have had that one catch. Marlon I don't expect much from. Patton will become more involved as he gets more experience.

all those guys from kyle, to marlon to our rookie tight end will only get better the more times they work with the qb. hell even miller had two huge receptions!

Originally posted by cciowa:
when it starts out,, "am i the only one who is concerned" , it probably will be nonsense

exactly. we played the top QB in the league and we beat him. im not surprised rodgers scored and anyone who is is delusional. were not always gonna shut down the best offenses even though our defense is top notch but we now have an offense that is capable of droppin 40 points on people at any given time so were never out of the game. they have been game planning to stop our run for months and it backfired on them. now that the rest of the league knows what we can do they cant just key in on one thing and we can pick our spots with either the run or pass. our defense will get better as well with more tape to study of opposing teams. if its one thing harbaughs staff has established, its that they make great adjustments so im not worried about our defense at all
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?

NO,...and this is goes back to the very basic concept of football, run or pass. You start off featuring your #1 option pass catcher and #1 option runner. You feed them the ball over and over again if you can until a team (or in this case, teams because GB refused to) adjust.

When they adjust to cover them more, you attack the space they took a man from.

This is why Kap runs for 181, then Boldin goes for 200+. The next time we face them, sure, take away Kap, Boldin, and Gore, but you cant stay glued to everybody.

See AD's 1st run of 70+ yards and being shut down for the rest of the day. They clearly adjusted and anyone but AD was going to beat Detroit. It's the start of the season so you should expect these things.
i can see vance mcdonald being a force, hope he gets more looks.

Word.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Word.

Only in 49er fandom does a receiver getting 200 yards in a game generate questions like this....
Share 49ersWebzone