There are 265 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Crabtree = #1 WR
Boldin = #1 WR

I think we shouldn't forget that Kaep salvaged Crabree from what was up until that point a mediocre career, and Boldin hasn't looked anything like this in a long, long time.

I don't think Crabs or Boldin are true #1s in the way the term is used, Kaepernick just feeds the hell out of his primary receiver, and Crabs and Boldin both have great hands and can muscle out catches. They're the right types of receivers for our offense (why the Baldwin and Harper additions make sense, and why AJ never made sense) but I think they're more valuable to us than anyone else.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
If something is working you don't stop doing it just for the sake of involving other players. They couldn't stop Boldin, so we just kept riding it. Harbs was rolling with the hot hand.
It is a concern but not a huge one clearly boldin is the number 1 receiver davis 2 but hes a tight end williams to me is not a 3 hes more of a slot guy patton and baldwin need to compete for the 3rd receiver not sure why they weren't in then game maybe they will slowly start bringing them in. Boldin did a awesome job as the 1 davis as the 2 now they need to find a 3..
Originally posted by jreff22:
I think it's a legitimate concern. We need to find somebody else that can contribute.

so if Boldin is open..we shouldn't throw to him ?

if this is week 8 ..then i will be concerned
Just rewatched the game, saw a few times where Williams was wide open down the sideline but Kap hit the closer receiver, usually Boldin or Miller.

IMO it looked like Williams had the job of stretching the zone (based on allot of his route depths) in order to create space for VD and Boldin underneath.

Also lets remember that Kap does play favorites with receivers he feels chemistry with and Williams was out all preseason.
hung 34 points and should have been more if not for penalties / rust. not worried about wr corps other than possibly depth in the event of another injury.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Come back soon, Crabs we need you.
Its a HUGE concern. What i'd do is I'd have Quan at #1, Patton at #2, KW at the #3 and Baldwin at 4 with VD tearing up the seams. It goes to show that if teams double up on Quan, and VD then KW and Patton have to beat coverage and man up!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he and vernon showed that they are the guys who have the most experience. the others will get involved as the year goes and the more time they have to work with ck. that is my take on it. I have no worries about this at all
Originally posted by 5280High:
Just rewatched the game, saw a few times where Williams was wide open down the sideline but Kap hit the closer receiver, usually Boldin or Miller.

IMO it looked like Williams had the job of stretching the zone (based on allot of his route depths) in order to create space for VD and Boldin underneath.

Also lets remember that Kap does play favorites with receivers he feels chemistry with and Williams was out all preseason.

To be honest I don't think Kaep favors Williams much, cause Williams has been the 'weak' link since the day he came here. -That MNF game against the Bears (Kaep's first start), Williams pulled that 'Josh Morgan', guy just isn't as fast as when we drafted him.

Boldin's performance is probably going to garnish some double teams now, which should open up things for the other receivers. Who know's who steps up, but Williams looked fast, so hopefully he can put it together next week.
[ Edited by vermonator on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM ]
A couple of better placed balls, and Williams would have had a big game too
The other WR's should be facing a lot of single and relatively minimal coverage. They have to make plays. If KW is not cutting it, lets see Patton and even Baldwin. Why not? At least Baldwin has size. Also, I think when McDonald comes in for two TE sets he should be able to get open. He should have some oppurtunities. At this point, it is really unproven behind Boldin at wideout.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?
So, the Packers' D saw that we only targeted Boldin and still wasnt able to stop the pass...I'm not worried.
We got Boldin and Vernon right now (yeah, I know that he is a TE). Kyle Williams can be a solid Receiver.

Yes, we are a little bit thin at #1WR but who isnt? Almost every NFL-team will go nuts if their #1WR is out for (regular) season.
Though, our (actual) #1 WR is out for season and we have still a legitimate passing game. I'm not worried at all

I'm more worried about our defense.
Boldin was in single coverage. When teams start doubling him, then someone else will be open. Nothing to worry about here..not yet.
Share 49ersWebzone