There are 264 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by baltien:
No, it doesn't. Kap kept throwing to Boldin because Green Bay clearly didnt have an answer for him. That's how good offenses work. You keep pounding the defense until they MAKE you stop.

boldin was an animal. he would just sit in holes in their zone and they would forget about him even though he was killing them lol. I think the deep threat thing is overblown. VD is the fastest TE in the league, even faster than most WR's, why does a deep threat have to be a straight line WR? i think the threat of many guys who can get it done is way better than having one guy you know is the deep threat. harbaugh knows what hes doing
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
No, it doesn't. Kap kept throwing to Boldin because Green Bay clearly didnt have an answer for him. That's how good offenses work. You keep pounding the defense until they MAKE you stop.

boldin was an animal. he would just sit in holes in their zone and they would forget about him even though he was killing them lol. I think the deep threat thing is overblown. VD is the fastest TE in the league, even faster than most WR's, why does a deep threat have to be a straight line WR? i think the threat of many guys who can get it done is way better than having one guy you know is the deep threat. harbaugh knows what hes doing

Right. Next week, I expect to see Kap spread it around more because the 'Hawks will be expecting Kap to force it to Boldin.
It was basically the same thing last year with Crabtree and Vernon. But I still want another receiver to step up and become that no. 2 guy till rio and crabs come back. I like WIlliams chances and I think Moore and Patton should get more of a chance.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It's funny that Kaepernick had a mediocre game and still played extremely well. What does that say about his future? LOL...seems like he will become the best QB in the game and perhaps in the history of the game. All he has to do is keep his head on straight, stay healthy and keep developing as he has over the past two years.

I think all 49er fans feel the same way but lets's take it one game at a time. I remember a rookie QB that played in 1969 named Greg Cook, his OC was Bill Walsh. He averaged 17 yards per completion. Coach Walsh referred to him as Montana before Montana. He was hit early in the season, tore his shoulder up and that was his career. I just hope Kaep stays healthy and does not go Hollywood. It's reaching the point where every time he takes the field the whole country is tuned in.

I agree we should take this year one game at a time.

It is a little early to conclude that Kaepernick is the next anybody, just as it a little early to conclude that we have a problem at wide receiver.

It will be interesting to actually see what happens.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Right. Next week, I expect to see Kap spread it around more because the 'Hawks will be expecting Kap to force it to Boldin.
i think so too. the plan should be to give them as many things to think about as possible. patton, moore and williams will be more involved i think.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I thought about this but I think it was part of the game plan to emphasize Davis and Boldin. Plus Boldin kept making plays. Why throw to someone else if he keeps getting open?

Now Seattle is gonna try and stack up against Boldin and other receivers will be open. Hopefully they make plays.
No problem at all. But the table has been set for other receivers to step up. Kyle Williams will either solidify himself as the #2 or will play himself out of it. Yes Kaep could've placed the ball better, but all of Kaepernick's throws to Boldin weren't perfect either. The main thing to me that separates the top receivers from the others are that they make the play whenever the ball is in their vicinity. We'll what happens next Sunday night. As for the other options, I don't think we see Jon Baldwin until midseason when he fully has the playbook down. It's only a matter of time before Quinton Patton gets his chance to shine. I'd expect more of him as the season progresses.
Originally posted by buck:
I agree we should take this year one game at a time.

It is a little early to conclude that Kaepernick is the next anybody, just as it a little early to conclude that we have a problem at wide receiver.

It will be interesting to actually see what happens.

Disagree, respectfully! Kaepernick has shown enough physical talent, intelligence and work ethic to conclude that he will be a star in this league. Canton can wait, LOL, but the rest is apparent so he just needs to keep improving bit by bit and win a couple of super bowls. I do agree that CK is not the "next" anybody...he is the first Kaepernick, which is something special. I really felt he had an OK game by his standards...which is amazing! He made some errant throws I didn't see last year, so either the GB D was throwing him off or he will round into shape as the year progresses.

Those physical tools are beyond any QB I've seen. Can't think of any other guy who has the arm, legs and balance.
There is no problem other than Williams getting the start over Patton. This kid is the truth.
I have never been a big KW fan and never understood all the love he gets on this board. However, he did surprise me this weekend. Even though he only caught three passes, he was open for two long bombs that Kap under threw him on. Granted he should've fought for both better and a top notch receiver would've gotten both, he got open deep. Lets hope he learns from Boldin or Works out the timing better with Kap. This could be a nice and dangerous complement to Boldin... COULD be.

We have two legit receiving threats ....Once Patton , Moore, McDonald and Williams get involved, our offense will become even more difficult to stop ....

then later on we get Crabtree, James and Manningham back , and once they are in the mix, our offense will continue to grow and become sharp as a razor
Originally posted by Baldie:
I think the problem is......do we sign Crabs or Boldin to an extension? Anyway we can keep both?

Bolding 2 year extension

Crabtree 5 year extension.

The Niners have been so long without a 1-2 punch, wouldn't this be nice.
Hard to say when Boldin and Vernon got by far the most targets...Kap underthrew KW on the long bomb. Moore was only targeted once. I don't think one game tells any real tale. Anquan was unstoppable, so Kap continued to go to him. Wouldn't read anything else into it at this point.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Hard to say when Boldin and Vernon got by far the most targets...Kap underthrew KW on the long bomb. Moore was only targeted once. I don't think one game tells any real tale. Anquan was unstoppable, so Kap continued to go to him. Wouldn't read anything else into it at this point.

thats exactly what i think. those are the two guys who worked the most with ck in pre season, lots of other guys were either hurt in pre season or played with the back up quarterbacks. i do not think we have any"issues" with our number two three four whatever wide outs. a part of me wants to say that the fact that kyle caught just one pass sunday is being used against him by people who hate him anyway,, but i will restrain myself from saying it
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

thats exactly what i think. those are the two guys who worked the most with ck in pre season, lots of other guys were either hurt in pre season or played with the back up quarterbacks. i do not think we have any"issues" with our number two three four whatever wide outs. a part of me wants to say that the fact that kyle caught just one pass sunday is being used against him by people who hate him anyway,, but i will restrain myself from saying it

The stats I saw said that Kyl Williams caught 3 passes for 36 yards against the Packers, actually pretty respectable for the 2nd wideout on a day when the other wide receiver catches 13. I like Williams, but see him as a 3rd receiver and return guy who might have to start from time to time. I suspect the front office sees him pretty much the same way. I think if he does get dropped by the 49er's, it'll actually be because he doesn't make it as a return guy.
Share 49ersWebzone