LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Will the 49ers offense become a "pass-first" offense this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the 49ers offense become a "pass-first" offense this season?

Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Will be A running team who puts up high points every game. We're going to run 65% -70% of the time. But will average 275-300yards passing in the air do to a deep Ariel attack. Defenses are going to cheat up and stack the box. When they do Kap will launch 50yard lasers for touchdowns

Running that much would be a horrible thing to watch. Terrible waste of Kaep's talent as a passer.
51 49 split
  • Jiks
I hope not. I hope it stays about 50/50.
A team is very rarely (if ever) going to lose when they rush for 200 yards. Harbaugh knows this. So he will keep pounding away and watch the wins pile up.
We will still be a run first team. But this team knows we have a quarterback talented enough to air it out when needed.
Last year we ran 51%, probably be the same this year, grinding out games in the second half, after shredding them in the first.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
The word is "balanced". I have argued this point before, the 49ers' O has turned from a run-first offense to a balanced offense.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Will be A running team who puts up high points every game. We're going to run 65% -70% of the time. But will average 275-300yards passing in the air do to a deep Ariel attack. Defenses are going to cheat up and stack the box. When they do Kap will launch 50yard lasers for touchdowns

Running that much would be a horrible thing to watch. Terrible waste of Kaep's talent as a passer.

Did you not read what I said!!!!!!!!
Kap will through for a crap load of yards this year 3800-4200yards and probably 30+TDs. He's going to make big plays through the air do to a stacked box on defense. Do I wish we passed all the time. Hell Yeah I do! If it was up to Me it would be 80/20 pass to run. I love the aerial attack and slaughtering teams 55-10
No. Even when the defense was s**tting the bed in the playoffs, Gore still got 19+ touches. With a healthy Hunter, I expect even more running this year.
I just hope hunter is ready, as he makes Gore better by spelling him. Also prolongs his career, but that asterisk is getting close to being old. I think Gore will just be his old self, but Kap will not. Good as he was, Kap in limited PT this yr just looked like a swiss watch. I agree with rath that we still run. Wonder if it will be 50/50? I think so, but remember, that happens if we get up big on someone, so during the contested part of the game, I bet stats would show we DO throw more. Once safely ahead, tho, all yr, Gore gets the ball ( or hunter)...Dixon, maybe LMj. But I sure wish la Michael would be used sproles like, altho that just hasn't happened. I posted it would and kept hoping, but I was wrong.

I think our coaches need to preach balance.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
The word is "balanced". I have argued this point before, the 49ers' O has turned from a run-first offense to a balanced offense.

Yes. You have argued that, but as of last year the offense remained pretty much a run first offense.

This is a new year. There is a good chance, given Kaepernick's passing skills, the offense will become more balanced.

The team has the whole year to develop its offensive mix. I am looking forward to seeing how the mix develops.

The offensive mix will in some fashion depend of the defenses we play.
If they keep stacking the box, I would expect an increase in the effectiveness of our passing game.

Oh well. it all begins tomorrow. Enjoy.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
I don't think we will change our offensive philosophy. Even when Harbaugh and company had arguably the best qb in the nation @ Stanford they were a run first team.
Being a pass first offense is not in there best interest so i say no. If the defense is on the level of the 2011 team it's better they run the ball with gore and hunter and use davis and boldin and williams on shorter 10 - 15 yard passes to get 1st downs and grind the clock out. And occasionally throw deep to keep the defense on it's toes.
They can't pass first because Kapernick isn't an accurate thrower. The best thing to do would be to scrap the read/option because with the rule changes he'll be dead meat. So, all that's left is a conventional style-O, but more run-heavy due to Kapernicks limitations. I think the Niners will do some kind of a block-buster trade for Eddie Lacy, and pound their way to the Super Bowl etc.
Share 49ersWebzone