LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Who will be the breakout player of the year for the niners?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by bret:
I know when you're talking about break-out, you're thinking about unknowns. But when you have two young players who have already exploded on the scene, yet haven't yet begun to scratch the surface of their talent, I think you can still think about them as having break-out years. I'm talking about:

MVP: Colin Kaelernick, whose command is clearly improved, and

Defensive Player of the Year: Aldon Smith. He didn't play much in preseason, but he appeared to have so much greater a command of the defense - he'll be better reading the run, better in coverage, and because he's healthy, even more dominant as a pass rusher.

Among the unknowns, 4 stand out:

Eric Reid will make people forget Dashon Goldson, better tools, and better discipline,

Ian Williams will provide a clear upgrade over Sopoaga, and will get All-Pro mention by the end of the year,

Ricky Patton will work his way in to the number 2 receiver role,

and the big break-out will be:

Vance McDonald! He's going to be a beast and people will end up having nightmares trying to figure out a scheme to stop our two-headed tight end juggernaut!

Colin Kaelernick?
Ricky Patton?

Who are those guys?

Boy oh boy, a bunch of eagle-eyes around here! I guess Ricky Patton was a Freudian slip, what with his Super Bowl pedigree and all...
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Kyle Williams, if healthy, should have a good season. Gets no love on the zone. He has big play ability and is, IMO, a prototypical slot WR. He and Kaep had good chem bcuz Kaep used to work with him on the second team offense. Put him, Boldin and Patton on the field at the same time and expect a big play.

Williams in his 4th season with 35 career receptions, coming off an acl tear? Gets no love? I like the kid, but he deserves no love. I hope he has a good season, but he has performed exactly like you would expect a 6th round pick to perform. His career is basically that of Dixon another 6th round pick. I really hope im wrong. He could never stay healthy in college either.

This.
I don't understand what all the fuss is about this guy. As you point out: three seasons 35 receptions.

I used to feel sorry for him after he caught all that flak on the two fumbles. But now the hype has gone completely the other way. What exactly has he shown? Nothing special. A play here and there.

I really don't see why he was guaranteed a roster spot and didn't have to compete for it. Nothing in his past performance in games justified that IMO. There's just something fishy about it. Maybe he will show this season why he received preferential treatment, but I'm not holding my breath.
Kap no question. With a full offseason as the starter and a full season of stats I think he's in MVP conversation
Kevin McDermott
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
Patton and Hunter pushing 50/50 carries with Gore.
Q Patton!
Lemonier.

Especially if Aldon is in trouble with the law more than we all hope he isn't
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM ]
General Patton.
I think if Patton gets playing time, he will prove to be better than Tavon Austin. I just don't believe his hype. so long as he is in a Rams uniform.

As for my actual answer, I'm picking Eric Reid or Nnamdi Asomugha.
interesting thread.. i mean who coulda predicted Colin Kaepernick to breakout last year.. !?! i really like Patton/ Skuta/ Lemonier/ and Hunter to go hard for the team this year .

Aldon Smith. He may need to break out of jail if the gun issue explodes! LOL.
Quinton Patton
Vance McDonald. He looks like a younger stronger version of Jason Witten.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Kyle Williams, if healthy, should have a good season. Gets no love on the zone. He has big play ability and is, IMO, a prototypical slot WR. He and Kaep had good chem bcuz Kaep used to work with him on the second team offense. Put him, Boldin and Patton on the field at the same time and expect a big play.

Williams in his 4th season with 35 career receptions, coming off an acl tear? Gets no love? I like the kid, but he deserves no love. I hope he has a good season, but he has performed exactly like you would expect a 6th round pick to perform. His career is basically that of Dixon another 6th round pick. I really hope im wrong. He could never stay healthy in college either.

He gets better every year though. And he's been one of the hardest workers on the team. Plus, until Kaep came along, we wernt exactly a team that passed the ball. I'm not gonna be unrealistic with his numbers, I say he'll have some where between 30-40 receptions for no more than 600yd and maybe 5 recieving TD. I say that because I feel that Patton/VMac are going to have a good rookie seasons, injured players will return and I'm not sure what marlon Moore has to offer. I believe KW has big play possibility though and will average good yardage.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Patton - 70 catches, 800 yards, 6 TDs.

Share 49ersWebzone