There are 157 users in the forums

2013-14 Season Weekly Rankings Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming as the season progresses please. Does this rating system take into account quality of competition? For example, pancaking Haloti Ngata would weigh more than successfully blocking some crappy DT.

I think the ypc stats for running at certain gaps is interesting. Though the successful YPC average of running behind Right guard may be due to pulling the left guard through the hole. None of 49er ratings are really a surprise except Aldon being rated higher than Brooks and Justin being iffy versus the run so far this season. If PFF doesn't use a quality of competition weighing system it would help Aldon look good since he's feasted on backup LTs versus GB and SEA. The unbalanced schedule means quality of competition would add a lot more fairness to the grading scale IMO.

It certainly isn't a perfect system by any means but it does help paint a picture (fairly accurate). You alluded to Justin Smith playing "meh." I'm not sure how Aldon is ranked so high at this juncture to be honest. Teams know that the best way to alleviate the pass rush is to run right at the Smith's and that works very effectively (they double Brooks on the front side). Fangio isn't smart enough to move Justin or Aldon around all over the place and create mismatches...it's straight up as always; Justin plays RDE and Aldon plays the WILL. Every now and again Justin will slip inside to DT or Aldon and Brooks will switch sides but I'm guessing 90% of the snaps are straight up. Look how the Texans move Watts all over the place to exloit mismatches and create confusion. You can move Aldon, Brooks, Willis and Bowman ANYWHERE to create monster mismatchess as well and scheme confusion for the OL and QB. But...no. We are, by far, THE most vanilla 3-4 ever.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM ]
Never understand these rankings. Staley is always rated low but most consider him to be a very good tackle. And I don't see him f**king up that much.
I think that the pff stats don't say a lot given the 49ers 1st 4 games of the season. No fault of PFF, I just don't think we have representative samples to work with. of the four games we've played 3 were blowouts -- 2 against us one for us. So when I read about so many yards going right so many yards going left, and so forth, I just don't think that numbers are very meaningful because of the kinds of games we've been in.

What is Reids PFF ranking? Do you have a game by game breakdown? Thanks.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Never understand these rankings. Staley is always rated low but most consider him to be a very good tackle. And I don't see him f**king up that much.
Actually, Staley was their top-rated tackle in the entire NFL in 2012.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
stats are for losers
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Who is ahead of Bowman? I think he's the best in the league so far.

David Harris of the Jets has been tearing it up thus far.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Not true, both Staley and Iupati were at the top of the rankings last season. So far this season, not so much.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Some more stats

Passing Offense

The 49ers passing offense has been most effective on 10-19 yard passes towards the center of the field. It has been utterly ineffective on 0-9 yard passes to the left and middle of the field.

In total there have been 10 dropped passes and 2 batted passes for the season.

Kaepernick has a QB rating of 65 when he's not blitzed, and a QB rating of 118 when blitzed, he's thrown for 3 TD's when blitzed.

Under pressure, his QB rating drops down to 18.5, with no pressure, his QB rating is 103.

RUSHING OFFENSE

49ers have had their best success running the ball from behind right tackle right guard and the full back. Both TE's have been iffy run-blocking and Goodwin has been pretty terrible when run-blocking.

49ers are averaging 3 ypc when running at left end......and 7.4 ypc when running at right end.

Hunter is averaging 5.0 ypc when running behind middle right and 9 ypc when running behind Boone.

Gore is averaging 5.0 ypc running behind right tackle, 3.1 ypc running behind left tackle, 3.2 ypc behind Iupati and 5.7 ypc running behind middle right.

Overall, their effectiveness when running OR throwing the ball to the left has been terrible.

Running behind just left tackle and left guard, they are averaging 3.1 and 2.1 ypc respectively while running behind right guard and right tackle has produced averages of 6.6 and 5.5 ypc.

I think the 49ers are fighting through an identity crisis and the numbers suggest that. Baalke built the team as a road grading running team with big lineman and a power running attack. This year, they have tried to implement Pistol formations but they have been destroyed by opposing defenses. Coincidentally, the game they went back to the style of offense seen with Smith at the helm they returned to doing what they do best. Teams have simply figured out how to stop the read-option with greater efficiency this year and San Francisco has been slow to adjust (when you practise read-option for months and have to essentially scrap it, changing back is hard). Add to that the terrible receivers we have out there right now and the sophomore slump of Kaep and it's no surprise.

CK also has to learn to read defense more effectively. It seemed like last season he was making multiple reads whereas this season he isn't. If I had to guess, I'd say the league has studied his tendencies and thus are forcing him away from looks he naturally WANTS to make.

The O-line is a bit harder to explain as they are loaded with talented guys. Iupati in particular has been playing well below expectations this season. Perhaps there is some part of it being play-calling.

Any mention of Eric Reid on PFT? It certainly appears to my eye that he is playing well.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]
Originally posted by boast:
stats are for losers

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

49ers WORST PERFORMANCES

Justin Smith vs St Louis -1.5

I was a little surprised by that one. I didn't think he had his best game ever, but I wouldn't have thought it was one of the worst performances of the year for us.

i have a hard time with this site. i appreciate them trying to come up with a system to further evaluate guys. but i also have a hard time imagining them knowing what every single player is supposed to be doing on every single play. i think after watching film, they think they know, but do they really?
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

Meh. PFF does a great job of portraying what is going on with a team. You can look at PFF rankings at the end of each season and you KNOW who played well and who didn't, because they review every snap, there's nowhere to hide.
Our best tackle is playing right guard.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i have a hard time with this site. i appreciate them trying to come up with a system to further evaluate guys. but i also have a hard time imagining them knowing what every single player is supposed to be doing on every single play. i think after watching film, they think they know, but do they really?

So far, for the past 4 years that I've been following them, they've been right on the money. There's not a single guy you can go, look back at their rankings and say "no way, that's so wrong, that isn't right." Their numbers don't lie, if a guy is truly performing well, they'll reflect it, if he's performing poorly, the numbers will reflect it too. Whitner has been playing well this season, I didn't need to see their rankings to determine that, but consistent as usual, they've got him ranked highly among safeties after ranking him pretty low last season. Same deal with Iupati and Staley, both were ranked at the top of the NFL last season but are now ranked much lower which correlates with their performance thus far. Bowman has clearly been outplaying Willis this season and the numbers reflect that. Boone has been the 49ers most effective offensive lineman, once again, the numbers reflect that.

People get mad and cry about "stats", but can't seem to find a single situation where PFF is actually wrong. They have no bias, the numbers are what they are and they tend to be pretty accurate if you're looking for a snapshot portrayal of how a team is doing.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Our best tackle is playing right guard.

In general run plays going towards the right side of the line have been very successful so far while run plays going left have been........
Share 49ersWebzone