There are 210 users in the forums

2013-14 Season Weekly Rankings Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
If we beat Seattle this week, then we are obviously head and shoulders above any team in the NFL. As of week 1, it's anybody's guess whos top dog

When we beat Seattle this week, we will 2-0 with 14 games to go.

These weekly rankings, unlike the college FBS weekly rankings, have no impact on who makes the play-offs.

The NFL is the most popular sport in the country. The weekly power rankings help build the hype for the game. That is good, I guess.

Well-said.
According to PFF's rankings, the top 3 players on the defense are as follow:

1. Glenn Dorsey-Overall 8.2 score

2. NaVorro Bowman-Overall 5.4 score

3. Aldon Smith-Overall 5.2 score

The three worst ranked on defense are as follow:

1. Nmandi Asomugha-Overall -3.9 score

2. Carlos Rogers-Overall -2.5 score

3. Craig Dahl-Overall -1.4 score

The top three ranked players on offense are as follows:

1. Frank Gore-Overall 3.9 score

2. Bruce Miller-Overall 2.4 score

3. Vernon Davis-Overall 2.2 score

The lowest ranked three players on offense are as follows:

1. Colin Kaepernick-Overall -9.4 score

2. Vance McDonald-Overall -4.3 score

3. Kyle Williams-Overall -3.7 score

According to PFF, Goodwin and Iupati are both struggling and in the negative while Alex Boone has performed the best out of the 49ers OL thus far this season. Iupati especially has done terribly in pass-blocking while Goodwin has been lousy in run-blocking. Gore has done very well in pass-blocking and Miller has done a good job in run blocking.

On defense, Asomugha has been bad in basically everything..pass coverage...run stopping, just bad all over the place. Brooks and Dorsey have been outstanding against the run while Justin Smith and Ray McDonald have been iffy. Bowman, Aldon and Justin have been the most effective when it comes to rushing the passer.

Brock, Reid and Whitner have all been solid in pass coverage while Brown and Rogers have struggled.

Wilhoite has done poorly overall.

Dorsey is playing better than Williams was, at least based on PFF's rankings.

Dahl has been bad all over the place on defense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM ]
Whilst I am not a great believer in rankings, Dorsey has played very well. Nice work Baalke. I shudder to think where we would be without him.
Special Teams

Top 3 Special Teams Players(not including kicker or punter)

1. Craig Dahl-Overall has a 2.5 rating
2. Anthony Dixon-Overall has a 1.9 rating
3. Nate Stupar-Overall has a 1.5 rating

Worst 3 Special Teams Players(not including kicker or punter)

1. Tramaine Brock-Overall has a -5.0 rating
2. CJ Spillman-Overall has a -3.0 rating
3. Perrish Cox-Overall has a -2.8 rating
*Kassim Osgood-Overall has a -2.0 rating
Originally posted by English:
Whilst I am not a great believer in rankings, Dorsey has played very well. Nice work Baalke. I shudder to think where we would be without him.

I think PFF's ranking system is about as it gets, they score on every single snap of every single game, paints a pretty good picture of who's doing well and who isn't, especially for the offensive line and positions such as nose tackle where its tough to see what's going on just by looking at the stats. I'm a big believer in how they put together their numbers. Nothing is perfect or absolutely objective of course, but I think theirs are about as good as it gets.
Yeah Nmandi is really bad. And Kaep has really regressed.
Some more stats

Passing Offense

The 49ers passing offense has been most effective on 10-19 yard passes towards the center of the field. It has been utterly ineffective on 0-9 yard passes to the left and middle of the field.

In total there have been 10 dropped passes and 2 batted passes for the season.

Kaepernick has a QB rating of 65 when he's not blitzed, and a QB rating of 118 when blitzed, he's thrown for 3 TD's when blitzed.

Under pressure, his QB rating drops down to 18.5, with no pressure, his QB rating is 103.

RUSHING OFFENSE

49ers have had their best success running the ball from behind right tackle right guard and the full back. Both TE's have been iffy run-blocking and Goodwin has been pretty terrible when run-blocking.

49ers are averaging 3 ypc when running at left end......and 7.4 ypc when running at right end.

Hunter is averaging 5.0 ypc when running behind middle right and 9 ypc when running behind Boone.

Gore is averaging 5.0 ypc running behind right tackle, 3.1 ypc running behind left tackle, 3.2 ypc behind Iupati and 5.7 ypc running behind middle right.

Overall, their effectiveness when running OR throwing the ball to the left has been terrible.

Running behind just left tackle and left guard, they are averaging 3.1 and 2.1 ypc respectively while running behind right guard and right tackle has produced averages of 6.6 and 5.5 ypc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM ]
Individual Results

Best Games

Boldin vs Green Bay-5.0

Kaepernick vs Green Bay-1.6

Gore vs Indy-2.4

Alex Boone vs Indy-2.4

Bruce Miller vs St Louis-3.0

Anthony Davis vs Indy/Green Bay-2.4

Ray McDonald vs Indy-2.4

Glenn Dorsey vs St Louis-4.8

Bowman vs St Louis-5.5

Aldon Smith vs Seattle-3.6

Whitner vs Seattle-2.4

Staley vs St Louis-6.8

49ers WORST PERFORMANCES

Asomugha vs Seattle -3.9

Carlos Rogers vs Indy -1.5

Justin Smith vs St Louis -1.5

Craig Dahl vs Seattle -2.0

Kaepernick vs Seattle -4.8

Boldin vs Seattle -3.2

Staley vs Seattle -3.0

Kyle Williams vs Indy -2.0

Mike Iupati vs Seattle -6.3

Bruce Miller vs Seattle -3.2
  • thl408
Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming as the season progresses please. Does this rating system take into account quality of competition? For example, pancaking Haloti Ngata would weigh more than successfully blocking some crappy DT.

I think the ypc stats for running at certain gaps is interesting. Though the successful YPC average of running behind Right guard may be due to pulling the left guard through the hole. None of 49er ratings are really a surprise except Aldon being rated higher than Brooks and Justin being iffy versus the run so far this season. If PFF doesn't use a quality of competition weighing system it would help Aldon look good since he's feasted on backup LTs versus GB and SEA. The unbalanced schedule means quality of competition would add a lot more fairness to the grading scale IMO.
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming as the season progresses please. Does this rating system take into account quality of competition? For example, pancaking Haloti Ngata would weigh more than successfully blocking some crappy DT.

I think the ypc stats for running at certain gaps is interesting. Though the successful YPC average of running behind Right guard may be due to pulling the left guard through the hole. None of 49er ratings are really a surprise except Aldon being rated higher than Brooks and Justin being iffy versus the run so far this season. If PFF doesn't use a quality of competition weighing system it would help Aldon look good since he's feasted on backup LTs versus GB and SEA. The unbalanced schedule means quality of competition would add a lot more fairness to the grading scale IMO.

Their scoring system is weighted, so for an example an offensive tackle that gives up a sack vs Jared Allen isn't scored as harshly as if they gave up a sack against Joe Smith, the rookie DE from Bumf**k State.

Overall NFL Rankings for 49ers players

Kaepernick is currently the 33rd ranked QB according to PFF, second to last on their list.

Gore is the 8th ranked RB

Bruce Miller is the 4th ranked FB.

Boldin is the 40th ranked WR

VD is the 13th ranked TE

Glenn Dorsey is the 2nd ranked Nose tackle

Whitner is the 9th ranked safety

Brown is the 45th ranked CB

Craig Dahl is ranked 13th among all special teams players

Alex Boone is 14th among all guards

Joe Staley is 30th among all tackles
Goodwin is 25th among all centers

Bowman is 2nd and Willis 10th among all ILB's.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM ]
Who is ahead of Bowman? I think he's the best in the league so far.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Thanks for posting these rankings.

I have not really looked at the PFF ranking yet this year.

They seem to fit well with a team that is 2-2.

Hopefully, the rest of the year gets better.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Special Teams

Top 3 Special Teams Players(not including kicker or punter)

1. Craig Dahl-Overall has a 2.5 rating
2. Anthony Dixon-Overall has a 1.9 rating
3. Nate Stupar-Overall has a 1.5 rating

Worst 3 Special Teams Players(not including kicker or punter)

1. Tramaine Brock-Overall has a -5.0 rating
2. CJ Spillman-Overall has a -3.0 rating
3. Perrish Cox-Overall has a -2.8 rating
*Kassim Osgood-Overall has a -2.0 rating

This hurts and I've been complaining about this issue before the 53 was decided. Lockette, Morris and Moore were by far, our best gunners. But we go into the season with Brock/Osgood and Spillman/Cox as gunners and so far, they not only have been poor but are hurting the team with a flury of penalties. Dawson, just keep kicking the ball out of the back of the EZ, please!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
RUSHING OFFENSE

49ers have had their best success running the ball from behind right tackle right guard and the full back. Both TE's have been iffy run-blocking and Goodwin has been pretty terrible when run-blocking.

I really felt we should have started Kilgore...he was ready. Also, to be honest, Looney looked WAY better as a C than LG as well. Goodwin should have been asked to take a pay cut (or cut, period) which may have made us less inclined to make other salary cap moves (i.e. Jennings, Haralson, etc. - although those were probably the right moves either way).
Share 49ersWebzone