LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

2013-14 Season Weekly Rankings Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dorsey and McDonald have been the best 49ers defensive lineman thus far. McDonald has basically played the same from last season. Dorsey is a BIG step up from Soap and Justin Smith has been playing basically average, regressing from last season which regressed from 2011.

Overall in the NFL, PFF has the 49ers ranked 6th against the run, 17th in pass coverage, 7th in pass rush and near the bottom of the league in penalties.

In terms of passing offense, 49ers are right near the bottom, only ahead of Jacksonville and Buffalo, with the NY Giants close in front. Rushing offense they are in the middle of the pack, 15th or so.

Penalties have hurt us (especially on our losses) and some (small number) like Whitner's first hit in the Indy game are BS, but others have been really been head scratchers from this team and especially now. These can be cleaned up in house.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think most of our o-line woes have come from lack of ability to execute the read-option, or throw the ball 20% more than the run. -I think the moment we switch back to our bread and butter, things will pick up for everybody.

-Very impressed though with Anthony Davis, dude was a 'problem' child in the beginning with penalties, now he's totally invisible (in a good way) on the o-line.

I think the OL has been out of sorts because they've been asked to do a lot of stuff that doesn't really come naturally to them. The entire OL is basically built for power-running, smash the ball in from the I-formation, run guys over, that sort of thing. I don't think they've been entirely comfortable with the gimmick offense and the numbers reflect that....all with the exception of Boone who has been on another level thus far.

If you look at Seattle, their OL in every aspect has been terrible this season, their offense in general has been lousy, but they've got the second ranked defense which has carried them through. KC is similar, OL has struggled, offense has been so-so, defense has been the best in the NFL.

I'm wondering if Harbalke are waking up to the fact that the read/option is not the way to go. Could that be why they picked up Skelton, someone who would function best as a pure pocket passer, assuming Harbaugh can get his accuracy and mental skills up to speed?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/6

- Who would have thought that by week 6, Kansas City would be ranked above both the Niners and Seahawks. Ranking don't matter, it makes sense how things turned out given the current records, but I actually still find it quite hilarious.
[ Edited by zaghawk on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by zaghawk:

- Who would have thought that by week 6, Kansas City would be ranked above both the Niners and Seahawks. Ranking don't matter, it makes sense how things turned out given the current records, but I actually still find it quite hilarious.

We find it great since we net a 2nd rounder if they win 8 but yeah, it is pretty crazy.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

We find it great since we net a 2nd rounder if they win 8 but yeah, it is pretty crazy.

7-18 combined record that the chiefs played..two teams still winless..lol
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

7-18 combined record that the chiefs played..two teams still winless..lol

They beat the Eagles and the Cowboys too...not exactly pushover teams. We'll find out a lot more about them when they play the Broncos twice in three games from late November to early December. Imagine if they give the Broncos their first loss. The NFL will be turned upside down. The only potential losses I see Denver encountering are the Patriots, Chiefs and Colts. Other than that, their schedule looks ridiculously easy being in the AFC West. What a horrible division.
Originally posted by Psinex:
They beat the Eagles and the Cowboys too...not exactly pushover teams. We'll find out a lot more about them when they play the Broncos twice in three games from late November to early December. Imagine if they give the Broncos their first loss. The NFL will be turned upside down. The only potential losses I see Denver encountering are the Patriots, Chiefs and Colts. Other than that, their schedule looks ridiculously easy being in the AFC West. What a horrible division.

The Eagles are not a good team. The Cowboys aren't much better. The Chiefs haven't played anyone worthy of acknowledgement, but there's no denying they are a pretty good team regardless. It looks like 8 wins is definitely going to be achieved and a 2nd rounder will be coming our way. Good.
Chiefs are going to pull a last season's Cardinals
Originally posted by mattster03:

considering their next 4 games are against the Raiders, Texans, Browns, and Bills; they'll be 9-0 heading into their showdown against the Broncos.
Originally posted by drakan:
considering their next 4 games are against the Raiders, Texans, Browns, and Bills; they'll be 9-0 heading into their showdown against the Broncos.

I can see Smitty struggling against that Texans front as much as Shaub will struggle against the Chiefs front. If Shaub plays Smitty ball then I think the Texans win. Checkdown city can only take a team so far. We all know Smitty's limitations.

Originally posted by NinerG94:
I can see Smitty struggling against that Texans front as much as Shaub will struggle against the Chiefs front. If Shaub plays Smitty ball then I think the Texans win. Checkdown city can only take a team so far. We all know Smitty's limitations.

With the way the Texans are playing and the fact that Schaub is the pick 6 king and Daniels is out for the next 1-2 months, they would struggle to even beat the Jaguars or Giants.

3 of the first 4 wins by the Cardinals were by 3 points or less. In contrast, the only close game score-wise for the Chiefs was the game against Dallas. They beat the rest by a comfortable margin. Their 4th quarter plays on both sides of the ball have been dominant.
Originally posted by fastforward:

3 of the first 4 wins by the Cardinals were by 3 points or less. In contrast, the only close game score-wise for the Chiefs was the game against Dallas. They beat the rest by a comfortable margin. Their 4th quarter plays on both sides of the ball have been dominant.
Every KC game was close till the mid 4th Qtr when the opposing teams get desperate

Dont act like KC has really been Dominating 4 qtrs

This weeks game can be KC's first lost
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by fastforward:

Every KC game was close till the mid 4th Qtr when the opposing teams get desperate

Dont act like KC has really been Dominating 4 qtrs

This weeks game can be KC's first lost

Yup, I bet they lose 3 or the next 4 and come back down to earth.
Yup, I bet they lose 3 or the next 4 and come back down to earth.

lose 3 out of 4 to the mediocre Raiders, imploding Texans, and QBless Browns and Bills? I lol'ed.
Share 49ersWebzone