LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

How much info can the Packers get from Tolzien?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by davidb:
Unless the 49ers have put some kind of strong computer security in place, a player (who thinks he will be cut) could copy his playbook onto a flash drive and take it with him when he leaves.

A copy of the 49er playbook would be a valuable thing to have to "sell" to a new team.

I know I am looking at things from with dark, unethical point of view, but I think you have to think about the risks, when you choose to provide the players with iPads to hold the playbook.

lol there is no such thing as having a flashdrive for an ipad.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by DrHawkingThe12th:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Trent Dilfer said the intel former #49ers QB Scott Tolzien is providing the #Packers is VERY valuable ...

Dilfer, a former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst, said the brainy Tolzien can give Green Bay an edge. Tolzien was signed to Green Bay's practice Sunday after spending the past two seasons as the 49ers' third-string quarterback: "I wouldn't make it a blanket statement if you go and get somebody who was on the roster of the team you're playing it's a huge advantage," Dilfer said. "It has to be the right guy. I think if you're the Green Bay Packers and you want to be taken behind the veil, so to speak, of what the 49ers do, the best guy to get is Scott Tolzien. Because the whole reason he was on the 49ers' roster is because he was a smart guy. It wasn't because he was a highly talented player. There's tremendous advantage, especially when you play the 49ers, because so much of their success has come because of Greg Roman's new wrinkles that he's given to offensive football. The deception that he's implemented into this offense."

Go f**k yourself you piece of s**t bird fan

Okay......so what are your thoughts on what that guy's take on the whole thing?

That's Dilfer's OPINION, nothing he said has any bearing on reality. Reality is that the 49ers are a better team on all levels (with the exception of QB) than the Packers are. We are too physical for finesse teams like the Packers, Pats, and Saints. This has been proven time and time again over the pass two years. Truth is there is only 10 games of film out there on Kaep, guys like Brady/Manning/Brees have 100's of games on tap and the NFL still hasn't caught up to them. Considering that Kaep add an entire new element to the game with his running ability and cannon of a arm even if you have a good idea of what the game plan will be you still have to stop the guy. Hell we had Ham and Jacobs and still loss to the Giants.

Exactly, and who cares about bonehead Dilfer's opinion. I asked Maiocco in his chat today and here's what he said:

What degree of additional advantage (if any) do you see the Packers gaining by having Tolzien in the building?
9 Hours Ago
from www.csnbayarea.com

MaioccoCSN
Nothing that will have any kind of impact on Sunday's game.
RICH49ERSGIANTS like this.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Trent Dilfer said the intel former #49ers QB Scott Tolzien is providing the #Packers is VERY valuable ...

Dilfer, a former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst, said the brainy Tolzien can give Green Bay an edge. Tolzien was signed to Green Bay's practice Sunday after spending the past two seasons as the 49ers' third-string quarterback: "I wouldn't make it a blanket statement if you go and get somebody who was on the roster of the team you're playing it's a huge advantage," Dilfer said. "It has to be the right guy. I think if you're the Green Bay Packers and you want to be taken behind the veil, so to speak, of what the 49ers do, the best guy to get is Scott Tolzien. Because the whole reason he was on the 49ers' roster is because he was a smart guy. It wasn't because he was a highly talented player. There's tremendous advantage, especially when you play the 49ers, because so much of their success has come because of Greg Roman's new wrinkles that he's given to offensive football. The deception that he's implemented into this offense."

Go f**k yourself you piece of s**t bird fan

Okay......so what are your thoughts on what that guy's take on the whole thing?

That's Dilfer's OPINION, nothing he said has any bearing on reality. Reality is that the 49ers are a better team on all levels (with the exception of QB) than the Packers are. We are too physical for finesse teams like the Packers, Pats, and Saints. This has been proven time and time again over the pass two years. Truth is there is only 10 games of film out there on Kaep, guys like Brady/Manning/Brees have 100's of games on tap and the NFL still hasn't caught up to them. Considering that Kaep add an entire new element to the game with his running ability and cannon of a arm even if you have a good idea of what the game plan will be you still have to stop the guy. Hell we had Ham and Jacobs and still loss to the Giants.

Exactly, and who cares about bonehead Dilfer's opinion. I asked Maiocco in his chat today and here's what he said:

What degree of additional advantage (if any) do you see the Packers gaining by having Tolzien in the building?
9 Hours Ago
from www.csnbayarea.com

MaioccoCSN
Nothing that will have any kind of impact on Sunday's game.
RICH49ERSGIANTS like this.

seriously f*ck Trent Dilfer.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I was playing two-hand touch with the neighborhood kids. On a first down, I told a twelve year old I was going to run straight for 4 yards then turn hard to the left to catch the ball. He could not stop me, he knew the game plan... every time I would do something, I would alert them prior to doing it... they could not stop me
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
I was playing two-hand touch with the neighborhood kids. On a first down, I told a twelve year old I was going to run straight for 4 yards then turn hard to the left to catch the ball. He could not stop me, he knew the game plan... every time I would do something, I would alert them prior to doing it... they could not stop me
bet you feel proud for beating down a bunch of 12 year olds
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LVJay:
bet you feel proud for beating down a bunch of 12 year olds

And before the game started, I made the oldest one (14 yr old) promise to cut all his (long) hair off when our team won

When Niners whip those cheez-its and spank them like kids, Clay better cut off that damn wig!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
lol there is no such thing as having a flashdrive for an ipad.

Believe it or not, many people do not know that
Originally posted by carlgo:
Remember Mad Magazine's Spy Vs Spy? There can be all sort of tricks and traps for either team to fall into, but coaches are conservative for the most part and don't want to confuse their teams and generally believe in fundamental football.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Plenty, but in the end, all they need to do is look at the game film from the play offs. The lessons they need to learn are simple, do not blitz Kaep, do not turn your back on him. Play containment football, lot's of zone, make him beat you with his arm from the pocket. Keep hard edges in your run defense and hope Frank does not gash you too badly. Drill Kaep every time he executes a fake.

This is probably the general plan for all teams going into the season. Back when, YA Tittle was being beat up and so he threw a pass right at a defender's face. Just nailed him. If CK does that it will really, really hurt. Also, CK can run around and make the defender chase him around and get tired and penalized for silly late hits. Plus, if one defender is always taking himself out of the play, the offense can take advantage of that.

Back in the day, all you had to do slow a down a defender who was getting a little rough on your QB, was chop him a few times. Tackle grabs him, TE cuts out his knees, fear is instilled, the O-line policed the game. Ever since the NFL took away the chop block, DE's have been getting away with murder. I sometimes think instead of all the new rules on how, when, and where you can hit a QB, all you need to do is allow chop blocking. Return control of the game to the players.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
IMO...he can help the defense with a lot of verbiage and obviously Niners will have to try and change some of that now - but that's extra work and takes valuable time off from other stuff they could work on. To me, that's exactly what Packers are lookin' to do. Make the Niners spend extra time on this bs.

It could have some impact in the preparation...and that can translate onto the field. Luckily for us, you can know all you want about our plays...you still can't stop Kaep because he is one of the best in improvising.
I guess I wasnt too concerned about his knowledge of the playbook, but the nuances, language, signals, anything that can be read by the packers and adjusted to on the fly ...even though Harbaugh and Roman wont run anything Tolzien is too familiar with, Tolzien has had two training camps to learn the system, I'm sure they are picking his brain for what little info he can provide them

Originally posted by sacniner:
No way in hell an NFL team wouldn't think of that. There has to be security measures in place. If not, every teams playbook would be floating around the league.

All of the teams playbooks are right there in Madden!!

Their offense has to play our defense. So, zero advantage.

Their defense has to play our offense. Guess what we're going to do? We're going to run it and run it and put in some new plays Tolzein wasn't here for. Then we'll just out-play them. Our OLine will open holes, Kap will roll out and hit passes and we'll have a few unexpected plays. Our ST will be excellent.

AT the end Niners - 38
Packers - 10
More from Dilfer...

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/03/dilfer-ex-49ers-qb-tolzien-could-give-packers-assist/

Were you ever in a similar situation to the one Tolzien is in now during your career?

TD: We beat Seattle those two times my first year with the Niners (2006) because I gave them the entire offensive playbook. I was calling out the plays before they happened. (Seattle coach Mike) Holmgren hasn't forgiven me to this day. And (Seahawks quarterback Matt) Hasselbeck was so mad at me because we were best friends. But I was devoted to the 49ers and winning the game.

So they would come up in formations and I would yell out protections, the play concept that was coming and Nolan would call the defense accordingly. I met with Nolan hours before those games. We weren't very good, but we felt like the Seahawks couldn't move the ball because of the information we had. (Note: I don't know if Tolzien will travel with the Packers. The 49ers bring their practice-squad players on the road, but not all teams do).

What did you go over with Nolan before the games?

TD: We went through the entire offense — calls, adjustments, personnel groupings, blitzes, call tendencies, formations, all that stuff. Now, it's a matter of if Scott's good at this. He's only been in the league a couple of years. He may have a lot of information, but he may not know what information is relevant. The key is you give them relevant information that kind of teaches them the why and the how. I'm not saying it's going to work. I'm just saying this is the way of the league. I'm just saying typically this is how it works.

The only info he could give them that worries me is players tendencies on certain routes and run plays. The Rams were keying on Boones tendencies and were able to diagnose run/pass before the snap. I know we hired Mangini specifically for this role and our coaching staff in general is Mensa smart but I remember reading somewhere that Smith used to consult Tolzien on if he was or wasn't telegraphing certain plays. On the other hand if I was Tolzien I would want a shot at playing QB and not just being used as an info whore.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
The only info he could give them that worries me is players tendencies on certain routes and run plays. The Rams were keying on Boones tendencies and were able to diagnose run/pass before the snap. I know we hired Mangini specifically for this role and our coaching staff in general is Mensa smart but I remember reading somewhere that Smith used to consult Tolzien on if he was or wasn't telegraphing certain plays. On the other hand if I was Tolzien I would want a shot at playing QB and not just being used as an info whore.
Tolzien can thank the 49ers for the job he has now. Coaches just wanted to gain a little insight into how we work. It was bound to happen anyway
Share 49ersWebzone