There are 203 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kaep: It was nice to see him for a drive, but why play him at all?

2) McCoy: I actually feel bad for the guy. I seriously don't know how good he is. He may suck or he may be servicable, but we really can't tell when the guy is running for his life on every down.

3) Daniels: Love this kid. I think he's gonna be on the team for awhile and in a few years may be one of the better backup QBs in the NFL. Fits the team perfectly and gives them a great scout team QB when getting ready for Wilson. I have no idea what the hell they were taling about on the TV broadcast last night...there is no way they expose him to waivers. He's on the 53.

4) Patton: Two weeks now and he's TWICE proved he's everything AJ Jenkins is not. He was supposed to not be that elusive...but that looked like a pretty damn good move to me on the TD. He plays with a fire and passion that was simply absent with AJ.

5) Cam Johnson: Are argued with people here all week about the Haralson trade. I said time after time that they wouldn't keep 5 OLBs and that the roster spot was the biggest reason for the trade. I continue to believe that...but I'm starting to wonder if they bend that a bit. I thought Johnson could easily clear waivers and would be on the PS. I'm not so sure after last night. I guess we'll see. It was nice tho in the game after the trade to see all of the OLBs behind the starters record at least one sack.

6) 6th WR: Hawkins had himself a nice night. I still think he was a moron last week, but he did make plays. I'm thinkin' that last roster spot might be a decision between Cam and Hawkins. One scored a TD this preseason on a return and another blocked a punt and scored. Tough call. I like Jacobs, but I think he's a PS guy. Collie...just never showed enough.

7) LaMichael James: 2 things. 1) I am not at all worried about his preseason stats. He'll be fine. He has a number of negative yardage carries trying to run outside when those horrific backup tackles were in the game. Those guys won't make the roster. He'll have much better blocking when he tries to get the corner in the regular season. 2) I'm really, really glad we have Hunter back. Losing LaMichael for 3 weeks should be fine since we still have Gore and Hunter to back him up.

8) CB's: Call me crazy, but I like our CB situation right now. None of them are the tandem in Seattle, but Brown, Rogers, Asomugha, Brock, and Cox sounds pretty damn good. I think Cox has played well enough to move up in that order...just not sure who to drop. I've never been a big fan of Brock, but he's played well this preseason. Its a good problem to have.

9) Lawsuit: This actually isn't game related. I for one was STUNNED at the size of the settlement. I had always thought that the amount the NFL paid would be measured in BILLIONS, not millions. I thought this was going to be a "game-changer" type lawsuit that cripled the NFL. Yeah...not so much. It works out to like 3 mil per year per team for 3 years and then about 700K for the next 17. Thats a decent player for three and then a scrub for 17 years. That's nothing. Moreover, they have protected themselves against future lawsuits because there is no admission of guilt AND nobody can reasonably claim anymore that the NFL hid the truth about concussions. Big win for NFL.

10) Its on: Finally. No more preseason. The season is upon us. We can finally go about destroying that feeling we've had all offseason. The SB will no longer be the most recent game played. A new adventure begins....
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM ]
Nicely done, as always. Looking forward to reading these after regular season games now.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Nicely done, as always. Looking forward to reading these after regular season games now.

Much more fun to write them in regular season. :)
The guy im unsure about this preseason is celek. I think he could loose his spot.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I agree Cox should move ahead of Brock. Coaching staff has always been high on him but in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME again the Giants he was beaten for TD, he allows catches even against lesser wide outs.

We really have to consider giving Patton kick off return duties or Hawkins making the team and handling it, Punt return Cox has looked pretty good.

I think Cam and Cory make it and Skuta may be cut.
Originally posted by outside4949:
The guy im unsure about this preseason is celek. I think he could loose his spot.

Nah...on a team that runs alot of 2 TE sets, you need 3 TEs. Gray isn't ready for the 53. I think he'll be on the PS.
Originally posted by GORO:
I agree Cox should move ahead of Brock. Coaching staff has always been high on him but in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME again the Giants he was beaten for TD, he allows catches even against lesser wide outs.

We really have to consider giving Patton kick off return duties or Hawkins making the team and handling it, Punt return Cox has looked pretty good.

I think Cam and Cory make it and Skuta may be cut.

I thought about that too (keeping Cam over Skuta). Just dunno. I was gonna look up their salaries and see what the diff was. You there AB?
I will finally be able to begin moving on once Dawson's or Crosby's foot hits the ball!
Do you think Baalke is ready to call it quits on Tukuafu and Dobbs? Seems like Jerod-Eddie is playing better than these two. How about our rookie CBs?
Just to clarify, the Chargers never played (most, if not all of) their 1st string players, right? Or at least a majority of them.

I think that if it's between Johnson and Hawkins, they'll keep Johnson. Hawkins will be gone in after week 6 when MM comes back.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Do you think Baalke is ready to call it quits on Tukuafu and Dobbs? Seems like Jerod-Eddie is playing better than these two. How about our rookie CBs?

Definitely Tukuafu...Dobbs they like and has played well when called upon. Tukuafu has not shown much at all...even as a blocker.
Originally posted by gato80:
I think that if it's between Johnson and Hawkins, they'll keep Johnson. Hawkins will be gone in after week 6 when MM comes back.

It shouldn't come to this. I'd think someone like Tukuafu or Robinson would be dropped b/c two ST aces. And both add value at their respective positions as well.
It's gonna be hard to keep 5 OLBs, not sure how its gonna work out. At first I thought Skuta was a sure bet but now Im not so sure if they are dead set on only keeping 4 OLBs. LMJ will be fine, the hate on him is the typical preseason BS.
-I see Robinson/Thomas getting cut and one of them making the PS.
-Gray should make it to the PS so we only only keep 3 TE's
-Collie did not help his case, if we do keep 6 wrs it looks like Hawkins will get that opportunity
-Im not sure who wins out between Tuku and Jerrod-Eddie, the coaches seem to love eddies improvement and Dobbs is better than both so one of them has to go.
-Moody should win the spot over Stupar, Stupar had some great games but so has Moody and just from memory Moody seemed to get mentioned more by the beat writers for standing out

Over all this is a ridiculously strong roster and we have 11 picks in next years draft already... its a great time to be a Niners fan!
As usual great job, Marvin49.
Share 49ersWebzone