LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

Kap & Aldon - Are you worried

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
As much as I want Kap and Aldon to have break out years, I'm also concerned that a break out year could cost us big time when its time to re-sign. What if we win the Super Bowl? The top 8 QBs make around 20 million a year. If Kap wins the Super Bowl I think a case could be made he should be paid more than any other QB. By the time we look to extend him, he would have two Super Bowl appearences (one win), amazing upside potential and only going into his 4th year. Not only that, but think of the money he brings to the Niners via his NexGen Marketability. He's already going to get paid, but if we win the Super Bowl or he has another lights out season, we are looking at 21 to 22 million a year. Book it.

Then you have Aldon. If Justin stays Justin and Aldon isn't injured. There is no reason why he cant break the sack record (assuming Watt or someone else doesn't move the goal post). I shutter to think what somone of his caliber is going to cost us, especially if he breaks the record in his 3rd year. If Clay Matthews got 5 year deal worth 65 million with 31 gaurenteed two years ago, how much more when Aldon signs? If he just keeps doing what he's doing he'll get at least 14 million, but what if he breaks the record?

Anyway, this is a great problem to have, but I can't help but to feel a bit of mixed emotions. Its like playing fantasy football and your starting QB is playing vs your starting D. You win and lose at the same time.

Oh the problems of being a fan of a top caliber team...

By my back of the envelop calculations, we are going to spend at least 35 million a year on those two players.

There is always concern when considering big money players. However, the team has shown it is very adept at managing salaries, and several big money projects. There will be cap room to pull these contracts off. Crabtree is probably the bigger question mark...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
kap & aldon stay crabs goes

just the nature of the bizz

and iupati
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I worry about this like I'd worry about how much taxes would be if I won the lottery

"I don't want a promotion because then I would be in a higher tax bracket"

I would rather have my team play well and worry about paying them then have them play s**tty so you don't care if they stay or go
Pretty much the same situation as Green Bay right? With Rodgers and Matthews.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
I think Crabs is the odd man out. He will run to the highest bidder, which probably won't be SF. Holdout post draft?

I don't care who the QB is, 20mm per stifles the ability to build a team unless there are some very unselfish people who will take less. What works now for us is that we have young, relatively inexpensive talent on both sides of the ball. That window will close as they become more seasoned. Or, it might not if, again, some of them are willing to take a hometown discount.

How bout if we win the Super Bowl with Kap gun-slinging it, we kick him the nuts, cut him, and draft Bridgewater for the rookie contract?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
kap & aldon stay crabs goes

just the nature of the bizz

and iupati

Kap, Aldon, and Iupati are very important.... Crabs I think is a goner.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Some of you guys should have learned something from the examples of the Patriots and the Giants. Harbaugh and Baalke seem to have noticed. A real good quarterback can make receivers productive, but he cannot do that without a real good offensive line.

I understand where your coming from G. I think Iupati is the best linemen we have. Not very many people on the planet could handle Ngata the way he did in the Super Bowl but what I'm saying is I think he's overkill. We have Davis and Staley locking down the edges. Boone is only getting better and he was handling Kevin Williams by himself against the Vikes. I think we have multiple option we could explore to find a replacement for Iupati. We could pick up a guard with one of our 3rd picks. We could trade for one. We could pick up a vet. My whole point is that we may not get a guy that can one on one Ngata every play but we can find someone who will thrive in our system. It's just to strong to fail. The only thing we may suffer on is when we try to pick up the blitz with just the oline.

Some of my most favorite plays with this oline has been when the team rushes 5 and we have no backs out. The way those 5 guys just one on one contain the individual pressures is a work of art. Anyways I digress.

Without Crabtree I fear our offense will become to easy to scheme around and then it's not going to matter what our oline looks like.
edit
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Aug 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM ]
eidt
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Aug 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So how much is Crabtree helping us right now? Iupati is on the field. Crabtree is not. WR seem to get injured a lot in the league right now. If I am going to pay 8 million or more to a player, I think it is better to pick the more durable player/position. This season will be a good indicator on whether we need excellent WR, or if we can make do with average at best WR. The OL will help the passing game by blocking better, plus they will make the running game better. So in summary, a great OL makes all of the other positions better on offense (QB, WR, RB). Personally, what I would love to see is Adrian Peterson behind our line. Draft lots of WR in the 4th+ rounds, get a few years out of them, and then move on to the next WR. Spend money on an elite RB maybe.

If the Packers can afford to pay both Rodgers and Clay Steroids III, the 49ers will be able to pay Kaepernick and Aldon
no, not worried. The reason is simple Trent Baalke and Paarage M..(spelling?) have managed the cap brilliantly, this team will continue to stack draft picks and cut costs where they can with vets and this franchise WILL keep their key players. We are looking at a long run of very good football, book it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no ,, cuz by not signing crabtree we can sign these guys. crabtree did well for us last year but i am hard pressed for someone to actually make the case that he is more valuable than aldon and ck. they are the cornerstones of the offense and defense, no offense to gore , patrick and patricks henchman bowman. I think we will find out this year we can get along with crabtree. i think it is impossible to sign all three to big money deals
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
How bout if we win the Super Bowl with Kap gun-slinging it, we kick him the nuts, cut him, and draft Bridgewater for the rookie contract?

we are a run first team
Originally posted by verb1der:
Pretty much the same situation as Green Bay right? With Rodgers and Matthews.

Well, pretty similar. They aren't paying for Willis and Bowman too.

The one thing I think we'll have to accept though is that in order to keep that LB corps together, that O-Line, and Kaepernick... naturally the team will end up being thin at some places like WR if they wiff in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone