There are 234 users in the forums

Discuss 49ers' todays cuts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by 49ers808: The only thing suprising is your arguments to why...SMFH

-The guy is a very capable and willing blocker, It's actually one of his strengths - this really isn't saying much, a lot of WRs are "capable and willing", and unfortunately KW is one of the smallest dudes.

-Before he got hurt he was proving to be legit threat as a reciever and caught the longest pass in Kaps debut against the Bears, and if you read anything last year he was the best reciever in camp. - it takes more than one damn long pass to remain on team yo! Randy Moss caught touchdowns, where is he now?

-When was the last time our current or projected returners scored a TD? - Last Sunday, Lavelle Hawkins

-Injured all camp yet he has more knowledge and game time experience in this system then all the recievers combined. - I'll give u this, it's probably the only real advantage he has over the other guys, that's about it.

By mid-season I predict Baldwin & Patton will leap frog this dude, and by next year it's bye bye KW!

I agree with all of this and would actuallybe perfectly fine with it happening, but for sure it would be a surprise.

While we're at it: I actually prefer Jewel Hampton over LMJ. James plays like a chicken with its head cut off out there. He doesn't seem to have incorporated the "patience" that Gore alluded to into his game. Just goes for it without looking. Hampton looks the more powerful runner also. I realise that Hampton supplanting LMJ will never happen though. Not that it matters too much: Gore and Hunter will hold down the fort quite capably.

I agree on LMJ as well, he seems to have gone backwards from last year.
if we were depending on him to carry the ball 20 times a game every game I would agree with you but that is not his role
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Jewel is nothing special, just camp fodder.
of course,, he is not taking dixons spot. dixon is our best short yardage and goal line man and a good special teams guy, he is no one trick pony. god last year at this time I was leading the rock cartwright bandwagon. was i ever that young?
Originally posted by boast:
yeah the team is definitely not cutting LMJ.

Gore
Hunter
LMJ
Boobie

Boobie >>> Jewel

Well I do agree Dixon is more valuable to the team than both Jewel and LMJ. No question in my mind.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL, this. James didn't have great numbers but he seems to have improved in several facets, I think a three-headed running attack with Gore, Hunter and James will be absolutely brutal. I would love to see James be able to catch passes in space more often this year, he's an absolute menace in the open field.

Where have we consistently seen that, if at all?
More theory than demonstrated, I'm afraid. We're not talking college here.
Both Gore and Hunter have looked so much better. And although ostensibly faster LMJ has shown nowhere near the wiggle of Gore.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
There's always a surprise cut I wonder who it will be?
Originally posted by ChepeK7:
I am not very high on LMJ, in both previous games he has been dancing around a lot, and at some point because he was spinning backwards, i would like to se more about hampton he looks capable, also i think KW its expendable.

And in college, he was a good return guy-not so much in the nfl so far......
I am not very high on LMJ, in both previous games he has been dancing around a lot, and at some point because he was spinning backwards, i would like to se more about hampton he looks capable, also i think KW its expendable.

Camp fodder. He had some nice runs this past game, but he's got little vision, mostly has ended up stuffed for a loss, he'll be gone by the final cuts.
Well I do agree Dixon is more valuable to the team than both Jewel and LMJ. No question in my mind.

Where have we consistently seen that, if at all?
More theory than demonstrated, I'm afraid. We're not talking college here.
Both Gore and Hunter have looked so much better. And although ostensibly faster LMJ has shown nowhere near the wiggle of Gore.

Keep in mind that James didn't get to play all that much until the end of the season. His kickoff return against the Patriots was an absolute gamebreaker, all the momentum was on New England's side and then he tore right through their special teams for a huge pickup, leading to Crabtree's touchdown.

He averaged 4.6 yards per carry in limited playing time and almost 30 yards per kickoff return, not sure exactly what you want from the guy? He's clearly a highly talented player that has improved this offseason and will continue to improve and be a nice weapon for this offense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

he certainly is or was last year in regards to kickoffs
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by 49ers808: The only thing suprising is your arguments to why...SMFH

-The guy is a very capable and willing blocker, It's actually one of his strengths - this really isn't saying much, a lot of WRs are "capable and willing", and unfortunately KW is one of the smallest dudes.

-Before he got hurt he was proving to be legit threat as a reciever and caught the longest pass in Kaps debut against the Bears, and if you read anything last year he was the best reciever in camp. - it takes more than one damn long pass to remain on team yo! Randy Moss caught touchdowns, where is he now?

-When was the last time our current or projected returners scored a TD? - Last Sunday, Lavelle Hawkins

-Injured all camp yet he has more knowledge and game time experience in this system then all the recievers combined. - I'll give u this, it's probably the only real advantage he has over the other guys, that's about it.

By mid-season I predict Baldwin & Patton will leap frog this dude, and by next year it's bye bye KW!

I agree with all of this and would actuallybe perfectly fine with it happening, but for sure it would be a surprise.

While we're at it: I actually prefer Jewel Hampton over LMJ. James plays like a chicken with its head cut off out there. He doesn't seem to have incorporated the "patience" that Gore alluded to into his game. Just goes for it without looking. Hampton looks the more powerful runner also. I realise that Hampton supplanting LMJ will never happen though. Not that it matters too much: Gore and Hunter will hold down the fort quite capably.

I agree on LMJ as well, he seems to have gone backwards from last year.
if we were depending on him to carry the ball 20 times a game every game I would agree with you but that is not his role
LMJ will not be cut but I don't think he will not be active on game day to often. Gore, Hunter, Dixon and Miller will be the active backs just like last year.
[ Edited by saj4423 on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Yeah...30 yards a return is just terrible.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by saj4423:
LMJ will not be cut but I don't think he will not be active on game day to often. Gore, Hunter, Dixon and Miller will be the active backs just like last year.
ok, so if your theory is true,, do you think that means that kendall and kyle will be our kick returners on game day?

I disagree. I could see the 49ers going with 5 RB's throughout the season. Gore and Hunter are fairly similar, while James adds the speed factor into the mix, he can also return kickoff's. Dixon is almost strictly for ST's and generally doesn't get carries unless it is garbage time. Miller will play primarily for blocking purposes. I could see the 49ers going with 1 less active WR or some other position. I fully expect James to be a regular contributor.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I disagree. I could see the 49ers going with 5 RB's throughout the season. Gore and Hunter are fairly similar, while James adds the speed factor into the mix, he can also return kickoff's. Dixon is almost strictly for ST's and generally doesn't get carries unless it is garbage time. Miller will play primarily for blocking purposes. I could see the 49ers going with 1 less active WR or some other position. I fully expect James to be a regular contributor.

I am thinking if the niners are at the five yard line or closer, dixon will come in? or maybe for a third and half yard?
ok, so if your theory is true,, do you think that means that kendall and kyle will be our kick returners on game day?

I can see Williams and Cox doing the return duties.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I can see Williams and Cox doing the return duties.
i see williams doing punts, james and/or hunter doing kickoffs and cox doing backup in both of those areas.. in any case i think we are better than ginn doing is running five yards and then out of bounds routine
Share 49ersWebzone