LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mod:
Looney can gtfo out for all I care...

his play has been mediocre to poor and that one hit to Williams knee was cheap. If it wasnt intentional then it was just plain stupid.

Lavelle hawkins doesn't bother me as much. After watching the replay I dont think he was taunting the vikings on the return.

Hawkins wouldn't worry me if he hadn't taunted after JH talked to him the first time...what is he thinking? Coach tells you to grow up and you repeat the offense? That aside--I wouldn't cut a guy just for that. I would have a long talk with him.
Originally posted by OX49er253:
Winner: Brian Jennings. Perfect snaps. Nice try Rook. Maybe in thirty years when the man retires.

I haven't confirmed this, but according to MM, Jennings only had the 1st FG snap. It was the rookie for every snap after that.
Originally posted by olapac:
Winner: Brian Jennings. Perfect snaps. Nice try Rook. Maybe in thirty years when the man retires.

I haven't confirmed this, but according to MM, Jennings only had the 1st FG snap. It was the rookie for every snap after that.

The thought that you did not even know the other LS took the majority of the LS's is good. I am predicting Jennings is cut, unless he resturctures (ala McCoy) to a vet league minimum contract.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Anyone concerned out starting o-line is dominating at run blocking but average at pass blocking? They always seem to give up pressure.

Nothing new.

I know it is nothing new but was hoping they would improve in this area.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by olapac:

The thought that you did not even know the other LS took the majority of the LS's is good. I am predicting Jennings is cut, unless he resturctures (ala McCoy) to a vet league minimum contract.

Agreed. When you don't notice the longsnapper, and people think you're the longterm veteran, that's a good sign for the rookie. Plus, looks like we'll need every dollar available to sign Kaep, Aldon, Iupati, Crabtree and more in the next few years.
McCoy may have been the real winner. He's either going to be the #2 or he's going to get traded somewhere and start. He really can't go wrong.

Daniels may have played himself onto the team team. We can't afford to put him on the PS. I think Wallace is insuranceat #3 and Tolzien will be dumped on the practice squad.

You have to say Phil Dawson is a winner. 3/3 from 50 plus this preseason and he was not even phased by getting backed up 10 yards. I liked it.

Marlon Moore I think earned a spot.

Hawkins earned another look next week. He's very talented but I think that has nothing to do with why he can't seem to crack an NFL roster. He clearly doesn't have his head in the right place. I'd love to see him grow up fast.
McCoy looked a lot better with the starting O-Line... but, he still looked kinda bad. I really hope Kaepernick can stay healthy because I have no faith in the backups. Sure BJ looked nice against 3rd stringers, but going against NFL starters is a whole different animal.

Patton and Baldwin put a lot of my WR concerns on hold for a week. It was starting to look like nobody could be an effective #2. Hawkins had some nice plays and stupid penalties. The taunting on the KR was BS, but taking off his helmet was not... stupid move. Then the other taunting for bumping heads was stupid too. I think the rule change sucks, but it is a new rule and players should be aware and not break it.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Vance McDonald. He moves very well for 265 lbs. What a great pickup and hopefully will improve our redzone effectiveness with his abilities

yea totally impressive
Originally posted by jreff22:
Anyone concerned out starting o-line is dominating at run blocking but average at pass blocking? They always seem to give up pressure.

Nothing new.

I know it is nothing new but was hoping they would improve in this area.

Have to actually pass the ball to improve at pass blocking, food for thought. But all of our starting o-line are road graders, they're massive.
the problem is depth. He and kilgore are all we got. Snyder flat sucks.

In response to those who questioned our OLs pass blocking, with Kap or Colt in it didn't matter. Both of those guys play so fast it's like, bing-bing-bing, and next play. For those Colt doubters, it was obvious that he has already learned the playbook, and that gives him a huge leg up on other #2 competition. Also, he looks like a bona fide starter at a lot of other places. No names, but ...ok, raiders, bills, Miami, and he could compete with a bunch of others. I am just delighted he put the work in to learn the playbook( no mean feat) and then came out and played, well....like he belonged here. Nobody is going to replace a true one of a kind Kap. But 18 of 32 starters didn't start a number of games last yr at QB due to injury. It is really just a matter of numbers. You have to factor in losing your QB for a period of time. Matter of fact, I think Colt could start for the Vikes. Problem there, as it had been here(for about 10 yrs) and about 28 other cities in NFL, is crappy coaching. While other coaches are struggling to decided who is #1, Coach H has been diligently working on a bona fide replacement starter for this team who can play in Kap like fashion. And he found him. All this b.s. about playing colt 2 and a half qtrs. to make him better trade bait? You gotta be kidding.

WE know all about crappy coaching, especially with Bill Walsh to compare to. But you know what? I believe JH is going to give Coach Walsh a run for his money. NO SBs yet, but let's see if he gets one this yr. Then after that, we'll see. Just think about coaching around the league. So many losers you can't count them. And we got Jim Harbaugh. What an incredible stroke of luck he came to STanford to coach. Stanford is kinda like the 49ers training ground for 49er coaches. Story isn't written yet, but JH looks like one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the game. He seems to have a huge advantage with his GM, who is hell on wheels for assessing talent... and I think JH is equally adapt there too.

As for LMJ's detractors, I saw some of his not so hot plays...most of which were not his fault. Thing about LMJ, Hunter, and Gore, is the are all SO QUICK fast.
And I saw that in LMJ last nite. Still haven't looked at tape, but he looked smooth, never got ruffled, and danced and juked all over the place. A couple plays that made him look bad was the OL. Overall, I really liked him. Man we got a bevy of RBs and WRs. Cuts are gonna be heartbreaking, in that I would like to see us carry them all...but know that is pipe dreaming. Our starting 5 WRs before Crabs and Mario get back? wow, who woulda guessed we ended up with talent to burn at WR? That is just great talent assessment and that includes guys not drafted also. TRent and JH really did it right, and actually turned AJ into a big positive, both $$ wise and talentwise.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
Winners: Patton, Baldwin, McDonald, Reid, McCoy

Losers: Looney, Tolzien
Share 49ersWebzone