LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

49ers Looking To Trade/Release Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
One team might...Seattle. Brady Quinn is their 3rd-stringer right now, behind Tavaris Jackson and of course Wilson. I don't doubt for one second that they'd dump Quinn (who doesn't really fit their scheme) and replace him with a guy who plays exactly like their starter.

Seattle won't carry a 3rd string QB on the roster. Their battle is between Tarvaris Jackson and Quinn for the backup role, the other is out on the street.
Originally posted by highwayone:
I'm still confused why everyone wants to dump McCoy so fast. He's similar to Alex in that he needs more time to figure stuff out. Harbaugh will make him a functional QB, he just needs more time.

Two years ago, Kap looked like crap in preseason and people thought he sucked. I guess people have a short leash based on the pain we had to go through with Alex, and that's totally understandable, who wants to go through that again. But my two cents is McCoy can develop into a decent backup.
I stopped reading right there.
I don't think most people want to dump McCoy because of his playing ability. But because how BJ has played and maybe we could get a 2-4th round pick for him.
Originally posted by Rascal:
It was an unnamed league personnel exec source who told Cam Inman that BJ will be signed elsewhere once the 9ers waive him.

Signed to the PS or a final roster? I would imagine most teams first selection on the PS would be a more valuable position like OL, DB etc. This could be BS afterall...rememeber Colt was being traded a week ago.
Wally, I admire your attachment to BJ, but he just isn't going to make the cut.

Phoenix....don't get me wrong. I have no reason to want to keep Bj other than he is a great athlete...and I truly think we would be lucky to get a 7th from the jets...but you never know what is going on in Jet land as everyone there seems to have lost his marbles. Seneca is just 4th best qb in camp.
But I did finally come up for a reason to keep Seneca, essentially just for first two games. Coach lets him think he is going to stick around and then has Seneca help us game plan for SEA. Is our beloved Coach that devious? Nah, I don't think he'd do that, if there were better players to keep and I believe there are.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM ]
The issue of 3rd string QB may've already been decided, but I also can see Harbaugh waiting 'til after the next game...chances are, both Wallace and Daniels will get plenty of PT and that might just determine it. Harbaalke understands if they put BJ on waivers he's not likely to clear, so they'd lose him. He also knows Wallace has the most experience, so that could well play into the decision, too.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Daniels totally outplayed McCoy in the preseason. And Daniels gets cut?

Idiotic. No other word comes to mind really.
Originally posted by kray28:

Seems pretty cut and dry to me too...

Kaep, McCoy, Daniels...
Originally posted by maltz88:
One team might...Seattle. Brady Quinn is their 3rd-stringer right now, behind Tavaris Jackson and of course Wilson. I don't doubt for one second that they'd dump Quinn (who doesn't really fit their scheme) and replace him with a guy who plays exactly like their starter.

Seattle won't carry a 3rd string QB on the roster. Their battle is between Tarvaris Jackson and Quinn for the backup role, the other is out on the street.

And you know this for sure how? Not trying to be pissy, just curious.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wally, I admire your attachment to BJ, but he just isn't going to make the cut.

Phoenix....don't get me wrong. I have no reason to want to keep Bj other than he is a great athlete...and I truly think we would be lucky to get a 7th from the jets...but you never know what is going on in Jet land as everyone there seems to have lost his marbles. Seneca is just 4th best qb in camp.
But I did finally come up for a reason to keep Seneca, essentially just for first two games. Coach lets him think he is going to stick around and then has Seneca help us game plan for SEA. Is our beloved Coach that devious? Nah, I don't think he'd do that, if there were better players to keep and I believe there are.

How do you figure?

I think it's Kaep>McCoy/Wallace>Daniels.

Its a battle for the #2 spot and the loser isn't 3rd...he's gone. Both players have much larger base salaries than the 7th round rookie and far less future potential. Niners WILL NOT expose Daniels to waivers. Too many QB starved teams. Thats how we got Tolzien. Chargers thought they could get him through waivers.

Nope. Two words come to mind:

Ntae Dvais.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Ntae Dvais.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Ntae Dvais.

LOL
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Tolz looked bad and Harbs probably wanted another qb in to compete. Chances are Wallace gets cut and BJ grabs the 3rd spot or we cut both, roll with 2 qb's, and put BJ on the PS.

Put BJ in the PS ? LOL. The guy will never clear waivers.

What if Wallace balls out in the next game ? Or may be Harbaugh won't even give him the chance and cuts him before the game perhaps ?

Every year the zone has a favorite that will never clear waivers and he magically does. Teams aren't going to risk roster spots for an unproven 7th rounder. If he takes the 3rd spot great, if not we run a good chance of snagging him for the PS.

Exactly. Not every team is looking to pick off the 9ers roster and not every team is cherishing a 7th round rookie QB the way us fans are lol.

And no biggie if a team does claim him or sign him no big loss. Baalke and Harbaugh can always pick up another just like him or better...dude was a 7th round pick that's it.
Tolz looked bad and Harbs probably wanted another qb in to compete. Chances are Wallace gets cut and BJ grabs the 3rd spot or we cut both, roll with 2 qb's, and put BJ on the PS.

Put BJ in the PS ? LOL. The guy will never clear waivers.

What if Wallace balls out in the next game ? Or may be Harbaugh won't even give him the chance and cuts him before the game perhaps ?

Every year the zone has a favorite that will never clear waivers and he magically does. Teams aren't going to risk roster spots for an unproven 7th rounder. If he takes the 3rd spot great, if not we run a good chance of snagging him for the PS.

Exactly. Not every team is looking to pick off the 9ers roster and not every team is cherishing a 7th round rookie QB the way us fans are lol.

And no biggie if a team does claim him or sign him no big loss. Baalke and Harbaugh can always pick up another just like him or better...dude was a 7th round pick that's it.

And you're probably right that it wouldn't be a big deal...I just like the kid and think he's the closest I've seen in his very SSS to what Russell Wilson can do with his arm and legs. The game doesn't seem to big for him, he's got a strong/accurate arm and is really tough to tackle in the open field. Great skills for a developing 3rd stringer, IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone