LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by trogdor:
Originally posted by Baldie:
I
I don't think Seattle will be able to stop the run the way the Packers did. We should see a more balanced approach, and if Gore and Hunter get going then that will allow the Niners to control the clock, which should lead to a W. But I agree with some here that this is possibly the toughest game of the year for the Niners.

I think Seattle will contain our running game. I think Kaep's arm and legs will be needed in this game.

What makes you think that? I think after getting pushed around in the run game our OL will look to bounce back, and Seattle's DL isn't healthy nor does it have the wealth of massive bodies to clog lanes like GB did. But I agree that Kap will be key, his is the most important position on offense after all.

My opinion is that if the Niners can't establish the run, then they lose. Gore doesn't need to get 180 yards, but 150-175 rushing yards between all of our backs (Kap included) should be enough to wear them down and control the clock, which should lead to a win.

Nah that is an outdated point of view. As a team, we need to be able to adapt to different situations. Heck, I bet we thought we could run on the Packers too, but we couldn't, could we ? Sure Seattle's D-line has missing pieces now, and if we can run it, pound it by all means. But, if we can't, you mean to say we are just going to lose ? In fact, I don't expect us to be able to run against the Seahawks effectively. That is why we will have to have a different game plan. Fully utilize our big targets with Anquan, Vernon and Vance to out-physical the Legion Of Boom and even their linebackers. Start with short and intermediate throws and wear them down. Once they start to key in on Anquan and Vernon with double teams, then is the time to make use of our other wideout options, the speed guys such as Marlon and start taking long shots downfield. We are going to outmatch their intensity and out-physical them, but not through the ground game, we will do it via our high-powered passing game. In fact, if the run game is not working, we shouldn't waste too many snaps on it, it will only hurt us. Just keep moving the chains and once we get to the red zone just pile on the big targets, rotate Baldwin into the mix. Imagine this, Anquan, Jon, Vernon and Vance in the end zone ?! Let's see what the Browners and Chancellors of this world can handle !!

I totally agree that we have to do what it takes, and they will, but you forget that until proven otherwise Harbaugh is still a power run coach. That may be changing, but I don't see him giving up on the run game, because ball control wins games, especially in hostile environments. I don't have time to pull stats, but I imagine its pretty easy to prove that away teams who become one dimensional lose more than they win. I'm not saying we CAN'T win without the running game, but if we can't run then we are going to have a hard time, no matter how physical our receivers get.
GO NINERS GO!!!!!! Winning in Seattle would be a pretty nice consolation prize for losing the Superbowl. I know nothing can really make us feel better about losing the big game but a win in Seattle will come close. When Seattle plays at home they're a much better team than the one we lost to in the Superbowl so winning this game would go a long way toward making me feel better.
The 49ers should consider an up tempo no huddle offense to try and silence the crowd a bit.
This game is going to be a blood bath, two teams that hate each other fighting for respect. I see a fight breaking out before the kickoff...can't wait. I'm a Hawk fan living in San Francisco so my opinion may be addled, but I can see this one going either way. We are really hurting on the D-line and couldn't get any pass rush against a really crappy Panther o-line. Plus, outside of Mebane we have no run stuffer. I can see you guys running on us. Fan noise will make your lives hell and our secondary is elite. I think it all comes down to the Qb's. Can the whiners get to Russ? Will Kaep get rattled? We will see. No matter what it's going to be a freaking awesome game! Go Hawks.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=npKvIE6Ys1M&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnpKvIE6Ys1M%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

:-)
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I
I don't think Seattle will be able to stop the run the way the Packers did. We should see a more balanced approach, and if Gore and Hunter get going then that will allow the Niners to control the clock, which should lead to a W. But I agree with some here that this is possibly the toughest game of the year for the Niners.

I think Seattle will contain our running game. I think Kaep's arm and legs will be needed in this game.

What makes you think that? I think after getting pushed around in the run game our OL will look to bounce back, and Seattle's DL isn't healthy nor does it have the wealth of massive bodies to clog lanes like GB did. But I agree that Kap will be key, his is the most important position on offense after all.

My opinion is that if the Niners can't establish the run, then they lose. Gore doesn't need to get 180 yards, but 150-175 rushing yards between all of our backs (Kap included) should be enough to wear them down and control the clock, which should lead to a win.

Nah that is an outdated point of view. As a team, we need to be able to adapt to different situations. Heck, I bet we thought we could run on the Packers too, but we couldn't, could we ? Sure Seattle's D-line has missing pieces now, and if we can run it, pound it by all means. But, if we can't, you mean to say we are just going to lose ? In fact, I don't expect us to be able to run against the Seahawks effectively. That is why we will have to have a different game plan. Fully utilize our big targets with Anquan, Vernon and Vance to out-physical the Legion Of Boom and even their linebackers. Start with short and intermediate throws and wear them down. Once they start to key in on Anquan and Vernon with double teams, then is the time to make use of our other wideout options, the speed guys such as Marlon and start taking long shots downfield. We are going to outmatch their intensity and out-physical them, but not through the ground game, we will do it via our high-powered passing game. In fact, if the run game is not working, we shouldn't waste too many snaps on it, it will only hurt us. Just keep moving the chains and once we get to the red zone just pile on the big targets, rotate Baldwin into the mix. Imagine this, Anquan, Jon, Vernon and Vance in the end zone ?! Let's see what the Browners and Chancellors of this world can handle !!

I totally agree that we have to do what it takes, and they will, but you forget that until proven otherwise Harbaugh is still a power run coach. That may be changing, but I don't see him giving up on the run game, because ball control wins games, especially in hostile environments. I don't have time to pull stats, but I imagine its pretty easy to prove that away teams who become one dimensional lose more than they win. I'm not saying we CAN'T win without the running game, but if we can't run then we are going to have a hard time, no matter how physical our receivers get.

If what you are saying is true, then we will be having serious problems going forward. You have to remember there are a lot of tough D-lines in this league. We had problems with the Packers (admittedly unexpectedly), we also had problems in running against the Seahawks and the Rams last season just to name a few. We will have to mix things up and that is where the Pistol comes in. I was hoping to see an evolution of the Pistol against the Packers, but we didn't. What we need is added protection for Kap on the edges in order to make QB runs possible. Even if we don't run Kap a whole lot, we want the Seahawks to keep guessing where the ball is at least. That way we might get some success in running the ball, be it by Frank or Kap. But, more importantly, we have to trust our passing game. We didn't have the personnel to do it last year, once they shut down Crab we were quite limited especially after they took Vernon out. That is why I always prefer big receivers in general. The Falcons can do it, sure we don't have Julio Jones and Roddy White, we can still do it, but differently. We don't have to throw 50 yards like the way they do it, but we can still move the chains effectively with Anquan. I can see our passing game consolidating as time goes on. I am confident we can do it and will take my chances with Browner and Chancellor.

But, to your point about Harbaugh, I don't think he is power run coach, he is a do whatever wins coach. That is why he changed QB to Kap and together with Roman he always comes up with innovative ideas. What I will say about Harbaugh is he is an offensive-minded coach. If the QB can't throw downfield, change QB and if the WRs are too small to handle opposing DBs, bring in bigger and more physical WRs. That's what he does, he is always looking for new ways to keep the 9ers a step ahead.
[ Edited by Rascal on Sep 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers work out OT Jason Smith; inquired about QB Brady Quinn ... #49ers, #Seahawks http://sacb.ee/18RTk8x
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers work out OT Jason Smith; inquired about QB Brady Quinn ... #49ers, #Seahawks http://sacb.ee/18RTk8x

Brady Quinn is at least better than Skelton plus he can throw a sweet deep ball. LOL.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
is it Sunday night yet? can't wait! f**k!
Anyone have a pic of Seattle's trophy case lol

Originally posted by SFgoldrush49:
The 49ers should consider an up tempo no huddle offense to try and silence the crowd a bit.

And maybe script a bunch of plays like we used to do. Just as long as we don't try to yell over that crowd, we'll be alright. Really their home field is the only thing going for them they are very ordinary on the road. Nothing cute, line up and execute better than them straight up.
I

If what you are saying is true, then we will be having serious problems going forward. You have to remember there are a lot of tough D-lines in this league. We had problems with the Packers (admittedly unexpectedly), we also had problems in running against the Seahawks and the Rams last season just to name a few. We will have to mix things up and that is where the Pistol comes in. I was hoping to see an evolution of the Pistol against the Packers, but we didn't. What we need is added protection for Kap on the edges in order to make QB runs possible. Even if we don't run Kap a whole lot, we want the Seahawks to keep guessing where the ball is at least. That way we might get some success in running the ball, be it by Frank or Kap. But, more importantly, we have to trust our passing game. We didn't have the personnel to do it last year, once they shut down Crab we were quite limited especially after they took Vernon out. That is why I always prefer big receivers in general. The Falcons can do it, sure we don't have Julio Jones and Roddy White, we can still do it, but differently. We don't have to throw 50 yards like the way they do it, but we can still move the chains effectively with Anquan. I can see our passing game consolidating as time goes on. I am confident we can do it and will take my chances with Browner and Chancellor.

But, to your point about Harbaugh, I don't think he is power run coach, he is a do whatever wins coach. That is why he changed QB to Kap and together with Roman he always comes up with innovative ideas. What I will say about Harbaugh is he is an offensive-minded coach. If the QB can't throw downfield, change QB and if the WRs are too small to handle opposing DBs, bring in bigger and more physical WRs. That's what he does, he is always looking for new ways to keep the 9ers a step ahead.

Too much of what you said is wrong IMO, so I'm not going to address it since this could go on forever. We have different opinions, but we share one thing, hoping the Niners beat the snot out of the Seahawks
[ Edited by trogdor on Sep 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM ]
Wilson's gonna be lookin real funny with one eyebrow after sunday night
The Niner Super Bowl teams were all great on the road. Their 18 straight away wins rank with the all-time team records in sports. Jerry Rice once said he loved the quiet in the opposing stadium when the 49ers were putting teams away on the road. I would really love it to be so quiet at Century Link Field Sunday that you could hear a pin drop in the 4th quarter. Watching the fans exit with time on the clock would be heaven.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Too much of what you said is wrong IMO, so I'm not going to address it since this could go on forever. We have different opinions, but we share one thing, hoping the Niners beat the snot out of the Seahawks

All I am saying is there is far more to the 9ers apart from our run game. I have argued this point before in other threads. The notion of 9ers being a run-first team is passe. I believe our objective is to become balanced. We have already started the evolution ever since Kap took over. Last year we moved up from 29th in passing O in 2011 to 23rd (that was with Kap only playing 7 games). And right now after game 1 ? We are ranked 3rd in passing O if you can believe it. Of course, we won't throw that much in every game, but all in all we will be far more balanced than ever.

Anyway, let's beat the Seahawks !! It will be one heck of a tough game and I think the mental game will play a huge part. We can't get overwhelmed like last time, we have to go into this game with the mindset that we are going to kick the crap out of them. Anything less, we won't be able to get it done. Oh and for God's sake, we better fix the playcalling issue quick. Let's go 9ers !!
Share 49ersWebzone