Our Schedule is awesome.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
0-16
WILSON VS LUCK VS RGIII wow. =D
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
Originally posted by Rascal:
4 and 1 would be the best case scenario. I just can't see how we can beat the Seahawks at Clink. And is not just because of the Clink, but I really think this Seahawks team now has come of age. Noone puts a 40 burger on us even if Justin Smith was injured and we were tired from the Pats game. Do you know when was last time someone scored more than 40 on us ? 2006 by the Chargers. I think the key is make sure we don't lose at home against them and tie the series. 3 and 2 would probably be more realistic. For the season, I am looking at 11 and 5 if I am being optimistic, but it could easily be 10 and 6.

Basically you are predicting we can only win one game against a quality opponent? 14-2 may seem optimistic but saying our best chance is 11-5 is just pessimistic. There isn't a team on this schedule that we cannot beat. 10-6 is possible but, unlikely. 11-5 to 12-4 is probably the most realistic, while we have a higher chance of 13-3 then 10-6.

That depends what do you mean by "quality" opponent. We will be playing 13 teams right ? So, let me try to get this right, are you suggesting 10 of those teams are garbage ? If that is indeed what you are saying, that to me is over-confidence. Like an earlier poster had mentioned, he has watched enough football to know every game is a potential loss. Remember after we beat the Packers and lost to the Vikings last year ? So, yes it happens. I don't quite understand what you meant by "there isn't a team on this schedule that we cannot beat". Just because we can beat them, that doesn't necessarily mean we will beat them.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Well, to be fair the quality of the opponent will differ greatly in our division. Seattle is night and day home and away. They are still tough away, but nowhere near the team they are at home. The Rams and Cards will both be tougher at home. We have a lot of quality opponents, but you are being a tad bit pessimistic which is par for the course. I see 11-5 or 12-4 as realistic, 13-3 as optimistic, and 10-6 as pessimistic.

Also, no need to coddle Seattle's nutsack. They have not overtaken us and we have just as much potential to be better than they do. While they might have held the edge in FA, we easily held the edge in our draft. I see no reason to believe they did enough to leapfrog us. And don't forget that while the Seahawks dropped 40 on us, the week prior, our defense gave up 31 second half points to the Patriots after Smith left. Let me reiterate this number. 3 first half points with Smith in the game VS 31 second half points with him out. Our defense was drastically altered without Smith. No excuses though, we have to do better in Clink week two, but to write us out of that game without giving us a chance is naive. We went to the Superbowl for a reason and we can beat anyone anywhere when healthy.

Alright, forget about the descriptions of optimistic, realistic and pessimistic. I will just say this, on the high side 11-5 and on the low side 10-6.

I don't know about coddling nutsack or what not. To me, it is a genuine concern. I get your point about missing Justin Smith, but I just feel the Seahawks have matured to a point whereby they really are ready to compete. I am just going to say this, if we can beat them at Clink, it will put some of my concerns at ease. And if we lose, at least don't make it a another trashing. Whatever happens, it will give us a better idea how does each team fair against each other.
That depends what do you mean by "quality" opponent. We will be playing 13 teams right ? So, let me try to get this right, are you suggesting 10 of those teams are garbage ? If that is indeed what you are saying, that to me is over-confidence. Like an earlier poster had mentioned, he has watched enough football to know every game is a potential loss. Remember after we beat the Packers and lost to the Vikings last year ? So, yes it happens. I don't quite understand what you meant by "there isn't a team on this schedule that we cannot beat". Just because we can beat them, that doesn't necessarily mean we will beat them.

I believe that as a fan or any person that is trying to determine what the future might hold a person must use his/her knowledge of the past. Of course it is possible that we get beaten by a team like the Jaguars or Titans. Possible but based on the skill level of the 49ers vs. the skill level of teams such as: Cardinal, Rams, Jaguars, Titans, and Buccaneers, the 49ers should win all if not most of these games. I believe the Colts, Panthers, and Redskins are better than the previously mentioned teams but, still below the 49ers in overall talent and should be mostly wins. The Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Texans, and Falcons games are all tough. Me being an optimist I would go 4-2 in these six games rather than 3-3 or worse. Give us another loss from a divisional opponent and one more from an opponent that the 49ers would be the clear favorite. That puts us at 12-4. 11-5 if you say we should go 3-3 against the tough opponents. If the 49ers lose to any team in the first to brackets it will be considered a letdown. If the 49ers lose more than 5 games this season then they are not the team we thought they were and it will be a disappointing season unless we have success in the playoffs.

To say that I am over confident about these games is clearly subjective. I would also like to point out that I will have not only the majority of the media but, Vegas as well behind me. The 49ers will be picked to win most of these games this season. Of course we will have to wait and see but, I think history points more towards my opinion than yours. :)
[ Edited by jvangeystel on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
(double post)

[ Edited by Rascal on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I believe that as a fan or any person that is trying to determine what the future might hold a person must use his/her knowledge of the past. Of course it is possible that we get beaten by a team like the Jaguars or Titans. Possible but based on the skill level of the 49ers vs. the skill level of teams such as: Cardinal, Rams, Jaguars, Titans, and Buccaneers, the 49ers should win all if not most of these games. I believe the Colts, Panthers, and Redskins are better than the previously mentioned teams but, still below the 49ers in overall talent and should be mostly wins. The Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Texans, and Falcons games are all tough. Me being an optimist I would go 4-2 in these six games rather than 3-3 or worse. Give us another loss from a divisional opponent and one more from an opponent that the 49ers would be the clear favorite. That puts us at 12-4. 11-5 if you say we should go 3-3 against the tough opponents. If the 49ers lose to any team in the first to brackets it will be considered a letdown. If the 49ers lose more than 5 games this season then they are not the team we thought they were and it will be a disappointing season unless we have success in the playoffs.

To say that I am over confident about these games is clearly subjective. I would also like to point out that I will have not only the majority of the media but, Vegas as well behind me. The 49ers will be picked to win most of these games this season. Of course we will have to wait and see but, I think history points more towards my opinion than yours. :)

OK, first of all, I don't agree with the way you have divided up the teams. So, even if my prediction is 11-5, I don't look at it as going 3-3 on tough teams. I look at the schedule and my premise is I view most of the teams as good teams (with my definition of "good" being somewhat different to yours), obviously with some being better and some less good if you will, may be with the exception of Jaguars, Titans and to a lesser degree Cards.

Starting with the division games, I don't view the Rams as a weak team as the way you have categorized them. They went 4-1-1 last season in division beating both us and the Seahawks once plus they have added more weapons in Austin and Bailey. Needless to say, I don't need to talk about the Seahawks. I can easily see us going 4-2 in division or even 3-3 if we don't play well enough. So, that leave us with a quota of 3 more losses with the rest of the teams.

3 losses outside of division to me is a very reasonable estimation if you consider who the stronger teams are within the remaining 10. There are Packers, Colts, Texans, Saints, Redskins, and Falcons. It is quite possible we could go 4-2 amongst this group or at worst 3-3.

Then what's left are what I call the middle of the road teams, the Panthers and the Bucs. The one I am looking at here are the Bucs. This is an up and down team, their D have improved and pending on how Freeman plays, they are capable of springing some surprises. Last season, they beat the Falcons and the Saints once and they almost beat the Giants and Redskins. So, I won't totally write them off.

So, if you look at the way I have divided up my groups, I have left 1 game as my margin of error whichever that group may be. That is how I arrived at my 11-5 to 10-6 prediction. Of course it is always going to be subjective and frankly what Vegas says don't concern me. Last season, I went with a 12-4 prediction and I was actually tempted to say 11-5, but I took the optimist route and ended up 1/2 game short. This season, I just can't see how we can go 12-4, is just asking too much (although not entirely impossible, but unlikely in my view). Just the make-up and dynamics of the NFC West alone has changed so much. It wasn't all that long ago when we never had to worry about the Seahawks and the Rams say back in 2011. In just one season, we already saw how far the Seahawks and the Rams had come and this will only continue.

As to your point about the media, you need to take that with a grain of salt. Aren't most saying the Seahawks will win NFC West with some guy on nfl.com saying they will clinch the Super Bowl ? How do you feel about that ? LOL.
16-2
OK, first of all, I don't agree with the way you have divided up the teams. So, even if my prediction is 11-5, I don't look at it as going 3-3 on tough teams. I look at the schedule and my premise is I view most of the teams as good teams (with my definition of "good" being somewhat different to yours), obviously with some being better and some less good if you will, may be with the exception of Jaguars, Titans and to a lesser degree Cards.

Starting with the division games, I don't view the Rams as a weak team as the way you have categorized them. They went 4-1-1 last season in division beating both us and the Seahawks once plus they have added more weapons in Austin and Bailey. Needless to say, I don't need to talk about the Seahawks. I can easily see us going 4-2 in division or even 3-3 if we don't play well enough. So, that leave us with a quota of 3 more losses with the rest of the teams.

3 losses outside of division to me is a very reasonable estimation if you consider who the stronger teams are within the remaining 10. There are Packers, Colts, Texans, Saints, Redskins, and Falcons. It is quite possible we could go 4-2 amongst this group or at worst 3-3.

Then what's left are what I call the middle of the road teams, the Panthers and the Bucs. The one I am looking at here are the Bucs. This is an up and down team, their D have improved and pending on how Freeman plays, they are capable of springing some surprises. Last season, they beat the Falcons and the Saints once and they almost beat the Giants and Redskins. So, I won't totally write them off.

So, if you look at the way I have divided up my groups, I have left 1 game as my margin of error whichever that group may be. That is how I arrived at my 11-5 to 10-6 prediction. Of course it is always going to be subjective and frankly what Vegas says don't concern me. Last season, I went with a 12-4 prediction and I was actually tempted to say 11-5, but I took the optimist route and ended up 1/2 game short. This season, I just can't see how we can go 12-4, is just asking too much (although not entirely impossible, but unlikely in my view). Just the make-up and dynamics of the NFC West alone has changed so much. It wasn't all that long ago when we never had to worry about the Seahawks and the Rams say back in 2011. In just one season, we already saw how far the Seahawks and the Rams had come and this will only continue.

As to your point about the media, you need to take that with a grain of salt. Aren't most saying the Seahawks will win NFC West with some guy on nfl.com saying they will clinch the Super Bowl ? How do you feel about that ? LOL.

Okay, I understand your respect for the Rams but, I disagree. Our trouble last year came with a troubled kicker and a beast Steven Jackson. Neither of which concern us this year. Austin while talented is a rookie and noone can predict whether he will translate to the NFL level. Will he be so brave to go full speed and catch passes after he gets hit by Bowman, Willis, Whitner, Reid? Also I don't know how you see the Buccaneers as a threat. We absolutely crushed them in 2011. They are a talented team but, no match for our defense. The Panthers rely on Cam Newton and our run and pass defense are both stellar. People often fail to realize that our pass defense only looked suspect after we went on a run with some of the best passing teams in the NFL. Before the Patriots game what were we like 3rd with a top 3 run defense as well. Our defense is dominant. Our offense is unpredictable and because of that out right scary. Frank Gore is a legitimate running threat while Kaeps deep ball is one of the best. I don't know why you can't embrace your team being a juggernaut. Jim Harbaugh has created a dominant team in the dominant conference. I will admit when we perform poorly but, as of right now we are the team to beat.
[ Edited by jvangeystel on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Okay, I understand your respect for the Rams but, I disagree. Our trouble last year came with a troubled kicker and a beast Steven Jackson. Neither of which concern us this year. Austin while talented is a rookie and noone can predict whether he will translate to the NFL level. Will he be so brave to go full speed and catch passes after he gets hit by Bowman, Willis, Whitner, Reid? Also I don't know how you see the Buccaneers as a threat. We absolutely crushed them in 2011. They are a talented team but, no match for our defense. The Panthers rely on Cam Newton and our run and pass defense are both stellar. People often fail to realize that our pass defense only looked suspect after we went on a run with some of the best passing teams in the NFL. Before the Patriots game what were we like 3rd with a top 3 run defense as well. Our defense is dominant. Our offense is unpredictable and because of that out right scary. Frank Gore is a legitimate running threat while Kaeps deep ball is one of the best. I don't know why you can't embrace your team being a juggernaut. Jim Harbaugh has created a dominant team in the dominant conference. I will admit when we perform poorly but, as of right now we are the team to beat.

Wait a minute, is this about season prediction or "embracing your team as a juggernaut" ? First off, did I ever say the 9ers are crap ? What I am doing here is trying to make a season record prediction. I am a realist and I am trying to do this prediction to the best of my ability without bias in any way towards the 9ers. Bottomline is the concept of "any given Sunday" still holds true. It is just not me to talk up on my team and end up getting disappointed. I rather try to be realistic about it and hope we will meet that goal.

Relax, is only a prediction, afterall your 12-4 and my 11-5 is not exactly night and day. Let's just see what happens then.

• buck
  • Veteran
The games get played on the field not in niner talk.

Makes absolutely no difference what we predict, does it?
[ Edited by buck on Aug 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
16-2

The only way that happens is if we lose in our second playoff game which could be the NFCCG if we earn the first or second seed.

...No thanks
Originally posted by buck:
The games get played on the field not in niner talk.

Makes absolutely no difference what we predict, does it?

It does when you're right
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Also, no need to coddle Seattle's nutsack. They have not overtaken us and we have just as much potential to be better than they do. While they might have held the edge in FA, we easily held the edge in our draft. I see no reason to believe they did enough to leapfrog us. And don't forget that while the Seahawks dropped 40 on us, the week prior, our defense gave up 31 second half points to the Patriots after Smith left. Let me reiterate this number. 3 first half points with Smith in the game VS 31 second half points with him out. Our defense was drastically altered without Smith. No excuses though, we have to do better in Clink week two, but to write us out of that game without giving us a chance is naive. We went to the Superbowl for a reason and we can beat anyone anywhere when healthy.

Hey, I'd like to throw out there that it was Tom Brady who did that. You know, one of the best quarterbacks of all time.
I love our schedule - it's tough early on, too. Every game is going to be good, hard-fought wins or losses (hopefully wins obviously).

I can't wait for Week 1!
Share 49ersWebzone