LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

**Update*** 49ers sign Seneca Wallace

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Last I checked he couldn't beat out Luke McCown.
I'm okay with this signing. IDK about you guys, but all I saw from Lockette was his special teams tackle.

Harbaugh is known for bringing in guys just to bring out the competitor in our players. For all we know, Harbaugh raved about Lockette, just so Jenkins would try harder...

I'd be okay with Kaep, Seneca, BJ. This makes it so we can do the option 100% of the time in practice. No sub offenses for Tozien or McCoy.
Tolzien and Mccoy are garbage...wallace isn't thst grest either but he's a serviceable back up
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
Tolzien and Mccoy are garbage...wallace isn't thst grest either but he's a serviceable back up

the way i see it, very few teams could continue a legitimate superbowl run if thier starter went down.
So at this point the team seems to be trying to find someone to fill in for a few games if Kap had a minor injury.
Quite frankly I like Seneca Wallace right now before even taking a snap with us more than I do Mccoy n Tolzien. I'd be content with him and Bj as backups, and hope to God Kaep never gets hurt no matter who the backups are
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I am over it. Lockette is gone, too bad, but we need to move on. If Wallace can display some of that athleticism he showed when he was with the Seahawks five years ago, I am cool with it. But, some Saints fans have told me about his dismal performance in the preseason so far. 8 drop backs, 2 sacks, 1 INT amd 1 fumble. So, bottomline is which Wallace will we be getting ? Your guess is as good as mine. If the end result is Kap, Wallace and BJ, I would welcome the idea of having 3 dual threat QBs. My goal has always been to migrate all of our QBs to dual threat cos that to me is the future of this position.
Trust Jim Harbaugh and Trent.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rascal:
I am over it. Lockette is gone, too bad, but we need to move on. If Wallace can display some of that athleticism he showed when he was with the Seahawks five years ago, I am cool with it. But, some Saints fans have told me about his dismal performance in the preseason so far. 8 drop backs, 2 sacks, 1 INT amd 1 fumble. So, bottomline is which Wallace will we be getting ? Your guess is as good as mine. If the end result is Kap, Wallace and BJ, I would welcome the idea of having 3 dual threat QBs. My goal has always been to migrate all of our QBs to dual threat cos that to me is the future of this position.

I am not convinced just yet that it is the future of the position - however i will agree it sure is trending right now.

we will have to see what the longevity is of this trend and can players play this style at a high level for a long period of time.

although it seems like the NFL rules are making it more and more friendly to the style.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crown:
I am not convinced just yet that it is the future of the position - however i will agree it sure is trending right now.

we will have to see what the longevity is of this trend and can players play this style at a high level for a long period of time.

although it seems like the NFL rules are making it more and more friendly to the style.

Well, I think as long as you don't run like a nutter like RG3, it should be fine. Look at Kap, just take the slide or run out of bounds, is no rocket science really.

The question is if you can have a QB that can do both, then why not ? To me, is all about squeezing that every last drop of potential and talent from your QB to help bolster and more importantly to diversify your offense. I can't see how this could be a negative.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rascal:
Well, I think as long as you don't run like a nutter like RG3, it should be fine. Look at Kap, just take the slide or run out of bounds, is no rocket science really.

The question is if you can have a QB that can do both, then why not ? To me, is all about squeezing that every last drop of potential and talent from your QB to help bolster and more importantly to diversify your offense. I can't see how this could be a negative.

definitely not a negative. i think we saw the future in the 80s with Cunningham, 90s with some guy named Young, then Vick took up another level. Just took another generation to refine.

i have been wondering for almost 20yrs why the NFL didnt run the option. (outside of a rare gadget play) but honestly i just dont think there were players with the skill set AND the rules protecting the QB.

This new style is clearly here now. just going to sit back and watch for the next couple years.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Last I checked he couldn't beat out Luke McCown.

yep.
people are thinking about the wallace of 5 years ago. the wallace we got, now, is something different--and probably a lesser player.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
of all the backups, i think bj has the best chance to stick after cuts. it's a toss up with the other three.
So our vet backup will be ready to go in 2 weeks...doubtful
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crown:
definitely not a negative. i think we saw the future in the 80s with Cunningham, 90s with some guy named Young, then Vick took up another level. Just took another generation to refine.

i have been wondering for almost 20yrs why the NFL didnt run the option. (outside of a rare gadget play) but honestly i just dont think there were players with the skill set AND the rules protecting the QB.

This new style is clearly here now. just going to sit back and watch for the next couple years.

Cos they were being conservative thinking the QB would get killed out there.

Also, they didn't have the Pistol formation then. To me, is not really the running that is the most lethal, but rather the threat to run which confuses the defense. When you have to defend against the QB run, RB run, play action pass and QB scramble, that is a heck a lot on the plate.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So our vet backup will be ready to go in 2 weeks...doubtful

Our hope is that we make it to the bye week without needing to start the number 2. By that point the 2 should be far enough along to step in and play if necessary. Wallace has throughout his career shown that he can be a solid 2 when called upon
Share 49ersWebzone