Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Mods:

Possible new name for this thread: The Seneca Sleigh of Serenity

the Seneca Celica of Sub-Standardness

Oh yeah....

WINNER!!!

LOL yes!
I don't think they signed Wallace just for competition...Harbaugh wants more experience behind Kap, and Wallace gives it to him. He's a highly mobile QB, another thing in his favor. I actually think he's a good fit...arguably better than either McCoy or Tolzien. All of a sudden, the last two preseason games have taken on a lot more significance. In a way, I hope Daniels beats out Colt and Scott...worst case, he ends up on the PS. Should be some very interesting competition these last two games before the bell rings...
  • buck
  • Veteran
The 49ers' quarterback stable grew to five Thursday with the addition of veteran Seneca Wallace, and it came at the expense of wideout Ricardo Lockette, who got released despite his close ties with starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Wallace did not play last season after quarterbacking the Seattle Seahawks from 2005-09 and serving as a Cleveland Browns backup to Colt McCoy in 2010-11.

The transactions could signal the 49ers' growing discontent with their quarterback depth behind Colin Kaepernick.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/08/22/qb-wallace-in-wr-lockette-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
So, CK has his career back up behind him now. Hopefully he can perform better than dilfer is he has to play. Holy zingers! Wallace was backing up McCoy in brown-land?
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Now or never: Pressure builds for Colt McCoy

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/now-or-never-pressure-builds-for-colt-mccoy.html#storylink=cpy
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
they signed Wallace because McCoy has been a flop just like I said he would be.
Originally posted by susweel:
they signed Wallace because McCoy has been a flop just like I said he would be.

Good prognostication. He was a flop before he got here. Most everyone knew that.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
This just affirms how desperate teams are for a quality backup.

I don't know that its desperation as much as exploring all viable options, especially in the case of an injury down the road. I don't see an issue with it, I still fully expect McCoy to be the backup to start the season.

I think this signing indicates that McCoy is far from a lock.
I understand that both backups right now are pretty terrible but this dude is just as bad. Never liked him every time I saw him played. He doesn't deserve to be a backup to Keap. We need to draft someone next year that can develop into a competitive back up to Keap next year.
Whether it's McCoy or Wallace at #2 and Daniels at #3 I really hope next year we let Harbaugh draft and develop a QB along with Daniels. Why bother playing with the rest of the league's garbage when Harbaugh can develop a QB as good as anyone in the league? Guess we wanted someone with game experience for now. I'd like to have another player along with Daniels that Harbaugh can mold and shape from the get go. Guys like Wallace and McCoy are probably already too late. Let Harbaugh pick out a qb he likes again next year. Either way don't see McCoy or Tolzien being re-signed if they are still on the team after this year.

I was confused when we signed McCoy, figured I must have missed something, looked up the scouting reports and the most common NFL comparison? Alex Smith. Alex Smith never looked as bad as McCoy has.

If McCoy is slow that may explain his difficulty picking up the offense, but how is Wallace, who has no future with the 49ers, going to pick it up enough in 8 days for the team to decide he deserves to be the top backup. The top backup usually already knows the offense and is helping the position players and the starting QB. Last year Tolzien was in Kap's ear all year helping refine assignments and route trees and reads because Tolzien is a really smart guy ... Harbaugh and Roman both said his off the field help was invaluable last year. So they are going to go from the #3 QB who is a grinder and a total positive for the team to Wallace who has never been good OR consistent and a rookie who has almost never played in a pro offense?

Yikes.
Originally posted by Scoots:
I was confused when we signed McCoy, figured I must have missed something, looked up the scouting reports and the most common NFL comparison? Alex Smith. Alex Smith never looked as bad as McCoy has.

If McCoy is slow that may explain his difficulty picking up the offense, but how is Wallace, who has no future with the 49ers, going to pick it up enough in 8 days for the team to decide he deserves to be the top backup. The top backup usually already knows the offense and is helping the position players and the starting QB. Last year Tolzien was in Kap's ear all year helping refine assignments and route trees and reads because Tolzien is a really smart guy ... Harbaugh and Roman both said his off the field help was invaluable last year. So they are going to go from the #3 QB who is a grinder and a total positive for the team to Wallace who has never been good OR consistent and a rookie who has almost never played in a pro offense?

Yikes.

Actually Alex looked terrible early on in his career. But yeah McCoy is horrendous. Should of been our backup like Alex, game manager. Not so much. Rather have 3 speedy QBs.
Should of kept Alex...
  • dj43
Wallace and Daniels closer to imitating what CK can do. Both are mobile with a big arm. McCoy and Tolzien are neither. Problem is; very little time to get them ready to play.

Backup QB is clearly a big issue.

A related matter; Kaepernick has had a minimal amount of game time so far. He really could use live time learning to play from the pocket. So while he should be getting a least a half, if not more, against the Vikings, that time also needs to go to determining the backup. Also, do we really want to expose Kaepernick to injury in a PS game?

Gonna be interesting...
On a serious note, I think if BJ plays well in the next two pre-season games he wins the #2.
Share 49ersWebzone