There are 217 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

I remember Carmazzi, and said Who the eff is this?
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Yes Alex was a bust, he was the whipping boy by many people. He never produced. A #1 Pck should of been a all pro, pro bowler, year in year out. Screw coaching staff. He was a 1yr wonder in 2011, then got hurt in 2012. He was injury prone. I don't get why people still defend Alex, look how bad he played against our 1st team defense. Same old Alex, a game manager. Should be a 30+ TDs a year, not 17 TDs. He played safe.

Jenkins showed potential in preseason. Because of his lack of playing time in 2012 he is automatically a bust is false. He never got the reps, he had 5 guys above him. You never call a player a bust after 1 season now a days. Alex did show some potential under Norv, but did we make the playoffs? No, and what happend when he left, Alex went back to garbage. His best yr was 2011. And thats awful compared to rooks like Wilson, RG3, Luck, Cam Newton.

wow... you have like zero appreciation or understanding of what good coaching and upgraded player positions can do for a QB? Alex should walk on water despite having awful pass pro, questionable weapons, and horrendous Mike + Mike coaching? Wilson on an already good team, Luck being an actual legit #1 overall pick (who still didn't put up vastly superior numbers to what Alex did in yr 2 with Norv, and the other two being scrambling backyard ballers that can camouflage their early flaws. All of the aforementioned being older than Alex was.

I'm happy to NOT defend Smith... especially in a thread that has no business mentioning his name... but oh c'mon... this post of yours begged me to.
damn i like both of these posters very much and i like alex very much so the only thing i will say is that mike martz was a horrid pick and in my opinion, he is bad for any quarterback in the nfl, nolan could put a team together but had no clue what to do with the players
Well CC the argument they are playing with is "IF" things had been this way or another the potential in both was there. The fact is that neither produced for us that warranted their pick. Now Alex got a much longer shot but then again he was drafted by a terrible team not one that just went to the NFC championship game.

Personably it is between Woods and Coffee for me. Situations be damn they were not going to be productive players because of their mentality. They just wanted to get some NFL money and move on with their lives. This is what a bad draft pick is. A player that no matter how perfect a situation may be for them they just don't care enough to attempt to take advantage of the opportunity. Smith always showed me the want in playing the game, now the talent to be #1 (be it a weak draft) no but the want still matters to me. To be honest the jury is still out on Jenkins.

Woods and Coffee not only did not produce but showed no care in the fact that they were not producing. That leaps them to the top on my worst draft picks.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
IMO, I couldn't say Drunckenmiller cause he actually won a game for the 9ers. And no, I won't say AJ Jenkins, jury is still out on him, he fits Reids offense and just may turn it around. So my vote goes to Rashaun Woods, Vince Wilfork there for the taking....twice, and Donahue oh Donahue takes this scrub!!! The pain still stings, Ian Williams is the only cure.

If Jenkins turns it around in KC, how does that make him a better draft pick for the 49ERS?

As a 49er, Woods > Jenkins. Yes, they screwed up by not taking Wilfork instead, but as players that contributed to the team, 7 catches for 160 yards and 1 TD beats 0 catches for 0 yards and 0 TDs along with 1 drop.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I would say it was Terell Owens. I say this because he won one playoff game and that transformed him into TO. IMO It was more Steve Young than T. Owens that won that game. His (TO's) s**t ball attitude attributed to the decline of the team for the next 8-9 years. There were guys on the team that were drafted that did have talent. IMO Brandon Lloyd for example had a hell of alot of talent and could have learned alot from a T. Owens who learned from Rice. There was a 49er way that was passed down to Rice and Young and passed to T. Owens who squandered that knowledge because of his selfish attitude.
My point is that Owens was a good receiver but the good versus the bad with him had more of and affect than just some poor draft pic that didn't amount to anything to begin with and they didn't affect the rest of the team and team work ethic.
[ Edited by MarkD on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Yes Alex was a bust, he was the whipping boy by many people. He never produced. A #1 Pck should of been a all pro, pro bowler, year in year out. Screw coaching staff. He was a 1yr wonder in 2011, then got hurt in 2012. He was injury prone. I don't get why people still defend Alex, look how bad he played against our 1st team defense. Same old Alex, a game manager. Should be a 30+ TDs a year, not 17 TDs. He played safe.

Jenkins showed potential in preseason. Because of his lack of playing time in 2012 he is automatically a bust is false. He never got the reps, he had 5 guys above him. You never call a player a bust after 1 season now a days. Alex did show some potential under Norv, but did we make the playoffs? No, and what happend when he left, Alex went back to garbage. His best yr was 2011. And thats awful compared to rooks like Wilson, RG3, Luck, Cam Newton.

wow... you have like zero appreciation or understanding of what good coaching and upgraded player positions can do for a QB? Alex should walk on water despite having awful pass pro, questionable weapons, and horrendous Mike + Mike coaching? Wilson on an already good team, Luck being an actual legit #1 overall pick (who still didn't put up vastly superior numbers to what Alex did in yr 2 with Norv, and the other two being scrambling backyard ballers that can camouflage their early flaws. All of the aforementioned being older than Alex was.

I'm happy to NOT defend Smith... especially in a thread that has no business mentioning his name... but oh c'mon... this post of yours begged me to.

First of all, why are you comparing Luck's rookie year to YEAR TWO for Alex? Even so, Luck's numbers were indeed vastly superior. His contribution to his team was also enormously superior to what Alex contributed to the 49ers in 2006. Andrew Luck took over a 1-win team and went to the playoffs not due to a great defense or a great running game, but primarily because of what he did on the field. Numbers-wise, Luck threw for almost 1,500 more yards and 7 more TDs while only throwing 2 more INTs in his rookie year than Alex did in YEAR TWO. Not only were Luck's numbers superior, but his contribution was undeniably superior.

Luck is a bonafide #1 pick, Alex was not.

Go ahead and bring on the "Luck has a better WR" and "Alex had terrible coaches" rebuttal. I won't read, lol.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM ]
1st rounder that made no progress after 2 camps. It has to be Jenkins. Rashawn Woods was a super star by comparison
Still dont understand the Jenkins voters. Having sat through Drunkenmiller, Balmer, and Woods... Jenkins didn't faze me much. While the others were definitely aggravating.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
alex smith
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
RW McQuarters?
Originally posted by Milkman:
Rashaun Woods - Jenkins was a "who the?!" pick, whereas I remember Woods putting up crazy numbers in college and supposedly having a worst case scenario floor of "long term no.2 WR"... Jenkins was a "poor draft" draft pick.

I remember draft "experts" said Woods had no flaws in his game. Very well-rounded player. He was a monster in college. One game he scored 7 TD's. I too thought he was a sure thing as far as WRs go.

Originally posted by MarkD:
RW McQuarters?

Mike Rumph?
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
You Zoners need a history lesson...

Personally, my vote goes to Ken Willard in 1965 (a decent player himself but a real slow lumbering RB)...taken one slot in front of HOF LB Dick Butkus and 2 slots in front of HOF RB Gayle Sayers...both of whom went to....DA Bears.

man ain't nobody that old here
ahem.. haha. actually willard was great for us and if i recall from the history books as i started following the team in 1971, we had good backers back then with wilcox and others so i do not think backer was a need for us. if we picked sayers he never would have been hurt playing against us. but then the niners would not have had a need to draft one of my all time favorite backs in vic washington in 1971 . willard was a great fullback for us till 74 then we got wilbur jackson

Actually, Vic Washington played in the Canadian Football League for 3 years before coming to the 49ers so he really wasn't a rookie in 1971. Sayers might have made the Niners special at that time because the team was stockpiling young talent around QB Brodie... My larger point was that Sayers and Butkus were both truly great players and Willard certainly was not...(lifetime YPC avg. of 3.8)...
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
You Zoners need a history lesson...

Personally, my vote goes to Ken Willard in 1965 (a decent player himself but a real slow lumbering RB)...taken one slot in front of HOF LB Dick Butkus and 2 slots in front of HOF RB Gayle Sayers...both of whom went to....DA Bears.

man ain't nobody that old here
ahem.. haha. actually willard was great for us and if i recall from the history books as i started following the team in 1971, we had good backers back then with wilcox and others so i do not think backer was a need for us. if we picked sayers he never would have been hurt playing against us. but then the niners would not have had a need to draft one of my all time favorite backs in vic washington in 1971 . willard was a great fullback for us till 74 then we got wilbur jackson

Actually, Vic Washington played in the Canadian Football League for 3 years before coming to the 49ers so he really wasn't a rookie in 1971. Sayers might have made the Niners special at that time because the team was stockpiling young talent around QB Brodie... My larger point was that Sayers and Butkus were both truly great players and Willard certainly was not...(lifetime YPC avg. of 3.8)...
my larger point was that i was just trying to show off my old school knowledge to sus!! But you bashed me by correcting me about vic not being drafted by us. of course you have a fine point butkus would have been a great player playing in back of our awesome pass rush we started to have with the drafting of cedrick hardman and adding other pieces like tommy hart and clevland elam later
Bwahaha Andrew Luck took over a good team! The year before they lost Manning, they went 10-6. Their whole system revolved around the QB. Retired Collins and useless Painter couldn't hold any QBs jock strap.
And Smirh was looking good in his second year until Nolan put on the brakes and became Mr. Super conservative.
I still remember that rams game where Nolan gave away our chance at a playoffs game.

As for biggest bust, I have to go with AJ Jenkins
Some people call him a luxury, or say he didnt set the franchise back
But bottom line is he contributed zero! Absolutely zero to this team!
Every other guy in that list contributed at least one little bit.
Regardless of everything else AJ Jenkins gave zero absolutely zero to the 49ers
Personally, I am going with A.J. At least Kentwan Balmer lasted more than 1 season. A.J. was a first round pick and didnt even catch a pass a regular season game with the 9ers.
Share 49ersWebzone