LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Worst Niner Draft Pick Of All Time

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
And my main reasoning for Alex is he was supposed to be the savior, as the top pick, you should be the next best thing. And he wasn't.
And everyone knew that there were no "saviors" in that draft, so your expectations were totally unrealistic from the start. The use of the word savior is all you need to know to understand the psychology of fans out there who take player performance so personally and develop such deep seeded grudges against players.
they should have brought back garcia to help out alex but thats a whole other story,, sorry mods,, i could not help myself back to topic,, lets just agree to never draft another wide out with the first round, no offense to crabs

Ha, at least not the end of it!
What is it about the end of the first round that sucks so bad?
Carmazzi if only Because we could've had Brady. Oh--and he sucked. Druckenmiller,, too.
Alex Smith lasted longer then the Druckenmiller, who was supposed to be the successor to Steve Young, but ends up getting beat out by Steve freaking Stenstrom
I think you need to add in Alex Smith to the list. Druck, Woods, where picks in range of 27 to 30. Smith was the first pick in the draft. Set the team back a decade.

Finally people are seeing hte light after the KC game, AS could not even carve up the niners second team defense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think you need to add in Alex Smith to the list. Druck, Woods, where picks in range of 27 to 30. Smith was the first pick in the draft. Set the team back a decade.

Finally people are seeing hte light after the KC game, AS could not even carve up the niners second team defense.
the coaches and front office we had at the time also helped to set back things in my opinion. I just think this talk should focus in on who was drafted number one and never produced. I hate the drunk but he did win a important game vs the rams, jenkins did nothing, zero, woods did some stuff in pre season but who gives a s**t about that? hell even lawrence phillips had a 80 yard touchdown run in pre season. stokes did produce. I just think its a tie with woods and jenkins with balmer close behind for recent memory. gino and mcgrew are also in the mix for those "top"four spots
Originally posted by 9erred:

Oh gaaad the logic. So if they'd taken Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards would that have set the team back a decade?

Yes, performance in a preseason game where the playbook consists of screen passes and dump offs usually is an indicator of total value.

Yes, I've seen the light, 19-5, the Saints game, #1 passer rating in the NFL at the time he got hurt...meaningless.
It's gotta be Carmazzi if only for the fact he was in same draft as Brady (didn't know that before). On that alone he's the worst.
I'll go with Rashaun Woods.
AB, ultimately, because we took alex, we later took Kap. And whereas I don't think Jaws is anywhere near correct crowning Kap as potentially one of the greatest QBs of all time, I do really like Kap. Other thing AB, is , had we taken Rodgers, I just don't think he would have had success here either, due to the 3 putzes we had in er-wreckson, then worse in noln, and finally worse yet in B.M. And on top of that noln was also the GM. After seifert left, mooch did okay as a 10 W guy but he got moved out and then was the reign of hell. I know, it was only for 9 or 10 yrs, but it sure seemed like a lifetime. Then Jed promotes Trent, then Coach H. And the rest is history. I think Rodgers would have played better than alex, but never would have won a SB before Coach H came on board, with trent. And since I believe we lost the last game of each of the last two seasons on coaching errors, I'm not sure Rodgers would have won it for us either.

That said, my undying least favorite was drunkenmiller, who turned out to be one of the trashiest guys ever drafted by this team. He deserves to have his name removed from 9er books in my estimation. Yeah, rashuan liked fishing better than football, and that was a disaster. I do understand your and others fleshing out who we missed out on when taking the ultra bad picks. But I truly don't think Rodgers would have blossomed until he had an OC for more than one yr...and alex had 7 of those in 7 years. Sure we should have taken him, but now with Kap, I am glad we didn't. That said, kap hasn't even played a season yet, but hard not to like what you see.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
We could have had Tommy Brady instead we chose Gio Carmazzi, good job Bill Walsh, ya douche.

Originally posted by Garcia:
We could have had Tommy Brady instead we chose Gio Carmazzi, good job Bill Walsh, ya douche.

You Zoners need a history lesson...

Personally, my vote goes to Ken Willard in 1965 (a decent player himself but a real slow lumbering RB)...taken one slot in front of HOF LB Dick Butkus and 2 slots in front of HOF RB Gayle Sayers...both of whom went to....DA Bears.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Personally, my vote goes to Ken Willard in 1965 (a decent player himself but a real slow lumbering RB)...taken one slot in front of HOF LB Dick Butkus and 2 slots in front of HOF RB Gayle Sayers...both of whom went to....DA Bears.

man ain't nobody that old here
Rashaun Woods - Jenkins was a "who the?!" pick, whereas I remember Woods putting up crazy numbers in college and supposedly having a worst case scenario floor of "long term no.2 WR"... Jenkins was a "poor draft" draft pick.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

man ain't nobody that old here
ahem.. haha. actually willard was great for us and if i recall from the history books as i started following the team in 1971, we had good backers back then with wilcox and others so i do not think backer was a need for us. if we picked sayers he never would have been hurt playing against us. but then the niners would not have had a need to draft one of my all time favorite backs in vic washington in 1971 . willard was a great fullback for us till 74 then we got wilbur jackson
Share 49ersWebzone