There are 226 users in the forums

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

It's considerably clear the backup QB spot is up for grabs thanks to subpar play.

McCoy and Tolzien have been horrendous, thus opening the door for B.J. Daniels the opportunity to be the #2 guy (so far he has played like one)

With two more preseason games to go, who do you think will ultimately be the backup QB behind Kaep?

Choose your choice in the poll section and let the discussion begin.
Probably McCoy. But Daniels will make the 53.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Agree with this.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Agree with this.

+2
This, as bad as McCoy and Tolzien have looked, the OL that they've been playing behind has looked worse. I don't see anyway that McCoy isn't the #2 QB, he's got experience, some decent athleticism and could easily slide into the Alex "ball control" role if needed. I think Daniels makes it as the #3 simply because he's got far more potential and better athleticism than Tolzien who is in his 3rd offseason and should be showing a lot more now than he has. I think his time is done.
Colt McCoy has given me zero reason to believe he can lead this team to a victory.
Tolzien hasn't been much better but I'm a little less concerned if he took over.
Daniels needs to build on this game and could possibly win the #3 position.

I predict Colt gets cut. Reminds me too much of Alex Smith...in a bad way.

Just my humble opinion.
At this point I'd take Daniels as my #2 and Kyle Williams as my #3. Cut both McCoy and Tolzien to open a spot for someone else.
I thought Colt has looked bad... like a #3 QB. Daniels looked more like a #2. Tolzien looks like he never played QB before. I'd be okay if we cut him now and picked up a vet off the street to see what they can do. If Tolzien ever gets into a real game we better have a big lead or are tanking for a better draft pick.
McCoy #2
Daniels #3

***Also I'd like to predict that in 2015 we will re-sign Alex Smith to be Kaepernick's backup
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM ]
McCoy can scramble, Tolzien can't, that should be enough to keep him on the roster. Daniels has shown he can move the team.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
McCoy can scramble, Tolzien can't, that should be enough to keep him on the roster. Daniels has shown he can move the team.

This

You also don't want to go into the season with a 7th round rookie as your #2 QB. Yeah Daniels looked good, but in college, if there was one thing he was known for, it was inconsistency. He'd look like a world beater at one moment and a turnover machine at another moment. He played well, but those calling for McCoy to get cut and for Daniels to be #2 are out of their minds.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
McCoy #2
Daniels #3

***Also I'd like to predict that in 2015 we will re-sign Alex Smith to be Kaepernick's backup

This
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You also don't want to go into the season with a 7th round rookie as your #2 QB. Yeah Daniels looked good, but in college, if there was one thing he was known for, it was inconsistency. He'd look like a world beater at one moment and a turnover machine at another moment. He played well, but those calling for McCoy to get cut and for Daniels to be #2 are out of their minds.

Tolzien to be cut not McCoy. McCoy is #2, unless there are other plans.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yes. But if there is a respectable vet at cutdowns that Jim thinks he can groom to be #2 I wouldn't put that past him. He drafted BJ so I think if he plays well he sticks and we invested more into Colt so we essentially spent 6th on him and he probably sticks unless someone gets cut that we really like
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone