There are 221 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hohbie:
Originally posted by spizzy:
I like to think of myself as a pretty objective fan. I try not to get emotionally invested in specific players (except Gore) and faith in the front office as much as the next guy. But the amount of sheer praise and biased trust in Baalke and our scouting department is ridiculous. Yes, our 2011 draft class is historically awesome. But the 2012 draft is one of, if not THE, worst draft we've ever had.

1 30 A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois- no explanation needed

2 61 LaMichael James RB Oregon- looking like a solid contributor

4 117 Joe Looney C/G Wake Fores- tbd

5 165 Darius Fleming OLB Notre Dame- cant stay healthy, very low chance of making team next year

6 180 Trent Robinson SS Michigan State- will probably be cut soon

6 199 Jason Slowey T Western Oregon- who?

7 237 Cam Johnson DE Virginia- MIGHT be a ST contributer

All I'm saying is, don't think for one second Baalke is the best talent evaluator or even near the top of the league. I do however have confidence that he will learn from his mistakes

PS can the season just get here already??

Haha. As bad as this draft was (and it was real bad) he is still not overrated. He knocked it out of the park in 2011 and I think he got cocky during the 2012 draft. I think the 2013 draft looks like it has some good pieces. I would take 2012 as the exception and not the trend, although I agree it is awful.

yeah but we don't need as many players to stick , we need to hit it out of the park, so BlackHarbagh are taking chances and i don't mind it !
Originally posted by NinerGod:

Jesus, can the regular season start already?

2nd that !
No lol, just stating the fact that he drafted injured players and that it remains to be seen how it turns out

Correct me if I'm wrong but the injured players were some of the best at their positon in college. They probably wouldn't have been there if not for their injuries & the position they play we have depth at already. Thay's why Baalkes' the GM & your the fan doubting his skills.
Originally posted by boast:
answer me this OP...if Baalke is overrated, who would you rather have as the team's GM?

Nobody, this thread has been derailed and I give up lol. I should have known Im a vet lol
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Are we now pretending to evaluate Baalke's drafting of the 2013 draft?

No lol, just stating the fact that he drafted injured players and that it remains to be seen how it turns out

High profile injured players that should have been 1st rounders for positions that will need to be filled when the vets retire or leave like Gore and J smith. Also, kept A Smith and turned him into 2 high round draft picks.
I think it shows he either hits grand slams or strikes out. If I remember correctly it was his first board being used, the year prior I think we still had Scotts rankings.

This years class might be the best going back at-least 5-10 years. Just cant miss next year.
On the one hand, the 2012 draft was subpar.

On the other hand we have the deepest roster in the league, a top 3 passrusher, a franchise QB, the league's best starting 5 OL, a stockpile of 2014 draft picks, a large core of young players extended with at or below market contracts, a second string defence that could probably finish in the top 20 if they were all starters and the cap room to get a player at a need position if injury/circumstance dictate.

FIRE THE BUM!!
Actually, how awesome is it that we can totally whiff on an entire draft and STILL be the best team in football? And probably the deepest as well...
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by hohbie:
I like to think of myself as a pretty objective fan. I try not to get emotionally invested in specific players (except Gore) and faith in the front office as much as the next guy. But the amount of sheer praise and biased trust in Baalke and our scouting department is ridiculous. Yes, our 2011 draft class is historically awesome. But the 2012 draft is one of, if not THE, worst draft we've ever had.

1 30 A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois- no explanation needed

2 61 LaMichael James RB Oregon- looking like a solid contributor

4 117 Joe Looney C/G Wake Fores- tbd

5 165 Darius Fleming OLB Notre Dame- cant stay healthy, very low chance of making team next year

6 180 Trent Robinson SS Michigan State- will probably be cut soon

6 199 Jason Slowey T Western Oregon- who?

7 237 Cam Johnson DE Virginia- MIGHT be a ST contributer

All I'm saying is, don't think for one second Baalke is the best talent evaluator or even near the top of the league. I do however have confidence that he will learn from his mistakes

PS can the season just get here already??

Haha. As bad as this draft was (and it was real bad) he is still not overrated. He knocked it out of the park in 2011 and I think he got cocky during the 2012 draft. I think the 2013 draft looks like it has some good pieces. I would take 2012 as the exception and not the trend, although I agree it is awful.

yeah but we don't need as many players to stick , we need to hit it out of the park, so BlackHarbagh are taking chances and i don't mind it !

That is the first time I have heard that nicname! lol. I know I know, prob auto spell
I am impressed with him. Even if AJ was traded away just the fact that he was smart enough to know when to throw in the towel with Jenkins is telling. At least we know we won't have to live with bad draft picks that don't perform.

Plus I am liking our last draft more and more. Eric Reid reminds me of Aldon Smith in terms of physical talents. Baalke is building us a team of long armed super men...lol. The man is an evil genius.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Actually, how awesome is it that we can totally whiff on an entire draft and STILL be the best team in football? And probably the deepest as well...

we are pretty thin at quality backup O linemen, the only one who doesn't concern me is Kilgore
Originally posted by 5280High:
Wow, f*cking chicken little thread if I've ever seen one. No one hits on draft picks everytime, it's not Baalkes fault Fleming can't stay healthy, Johnson is looking like a solid contributor but will probably get cut cause of the rookie stud Lemonier, Looney has looked alright not great but alright considering he has Omgmameh next to him. LMJ is a solid role player. Slowey? Really? Lets harp on 6th and 7th round picks lol!

Baalke has hit more than missed, and even when he misses he still gets something like a pick for Mays or Baldwin for AJ. What else could a fan want? No one hits on every pick even Ozzie newsome misses allot and he is considered the best in the league at scouting. Get over it and enjoy this years class cause it will shut up all the haters for yets to come.

Ozzie Newsome has had a tremendous amount of busts over the years. But he's hit enough that he still has a great reputation.

You want to talk about a f**king horrible draft, look at the Ravens in 2004 with same-genius Newsome at the helm.

2 19(51) Dwan Edwards DT Oregon St.
3 19(82) Devard Darling* WR Wash. St.
5 21(153) Roderick Green DE Central Missouri St.
6 22(187) Josh Harris QB Bowling Grn
6 34(199) Clarence Moore WR N. Arizona
7 43(244) Derek Abney WR Kentucky
7 45(246) Brian Rimpf OT East Carolina

Even in the 2008 draft where they took Flacco in the 1st and Ray Rice in the 2nd, everything else was mostly garbage even though they had a ton of picks.

3rd round -- Tavares Gooden, inside linebacker, Miami

3rd round -- Tom Zbikowski, safety, Notre Dame

3rd round -- Oniel Cousins, tackle, UTEP

4th round -- Marcus Smith, wide receiver, New Mexico

4th round -- David Hale, guard/tackle, Weber State

6th round -- Haruki Nakamura, safety, Cincinnati

7th round -- Justin Harper, wide receiver, Virginia Tech

7th round -- Allen Patrick, running back, Oklahoma

Players Baltimore missed out on in that 3rd round alone? Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton, Jermichael Finley, Cliff Avril, Mario Manningham, Thomas DeCoud.

There's no GM that is perfect all of the time, sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss, the good GM's simply dust themselves off, cut their losses and keep moving forward.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM ]
Bill Walsh was overrated too! look at the 1982 draft as proof:

2. Bubba Paris- solid contributor, never made it to the pro bowl.
5. Newton Williams - who?
6. Vince Williams -Who?
7. Ron Ferrari -Who?
9. Bryan Clark - Who?
10. Dana Mclemore - meh...
10. Tim Barbian - Who?
11. Gary Gibson - Who?
12. Tim Washington - Who?

They should have just replaced the entire front office based on that draft.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
I think it shows he either hits grand slams or strikes out. If I remember correctly it was his first board being used, the year prior I think we still had Scotts rankings.

This years class might be the best going back at-least 5-10 years. Just cant miss next year.

You think, but you do not know.

We know that Baalke ran the draft in 2010.

He gets credit and blame for the draft. Yup, Taylor Mays was a Baalke pick.
God this thread f**king sucks

Share 49ersWebzone