There are 161 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
pull up the 2008 draft if u want to see a worse one.

This, I'd say Kentwan Balmer was a worse draft pick, he was drafted so high.
Originally posted by spizzy:
I said talent evaluation as in drafting. I don't see how you can argue AJ being the biggest bust, he was the only player besides Carmazzi to have literally ZERO production. And I heard somewhere that he is the first 1st round pick to not make it to his second season for like 30 years. Thats downright sorry. And Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial were all injured when drafted. Lattimore seems to be good to go soon but they are bringing him along slowly. Carradine is a question mark as well as Dial. If they pan out, great. But its pretty risky to take 3 injured players (especially one being a 2nd rounder at a position of need).

You are aware he evaluates the talent of FA's right? That's hand in hand with college scouting. AJ was a luxury pick, and that's a topic for another thread so you can see my comments there. Baalke has made this league his b*tch. The trade he's made during the draft are another feather in his cap. You sound like a Cohn when you cherry pick one player to define his abilities while ignoring Hunter, Miller, Bowman, and Kilgore among others. Plus iuppati and Davis. I'm done ranting lol and agree to disagree on our views.
The sample size is way too small to make an accurate prediction. From the looks of it, 2013 looks to be another solid draft, making it 2 good drafts (i.e., 2011 and 2013) and one poor draft (i.e., 2012) for Trent Balke.

To be "objective" and "detached", based on the limited information we have, Balke is likely to hit on 2/3rds or 66% of his picks -- thus rejecting your hypothesis that he is overrated as he hits on more picks than not

(with confidence interval of 95% P < .05) -- -- I just made a statistics joke. My life has sunk to a new low.
You don't win executive of the year if you aren't at the top of your game. Yeah the 2012 class is not all world and AJ was a reach, but look at our roster, where we were drafting and the trades in the draft that netted us extra picks in 2013, which was considered to be a much stronger draft class. I don't know how anyone could be critical of Baalke.
to this thread. So far Baalke is 1-1 drafting. Outside of AJJ, the jury is still out until the 53 man roster is finished. The 2013 draft class is looking really good. So I'll say 2 out 3 as of right know. You also left out the scouting part of his job when it comes to FA which he's great at. He gets good talent for a decent price without breaking the bank. I could be wrong but it seems like you are tryna $#!t on Baalkes' scouting skills cause Jenkins' was a bust, gtfoh. 2012 worst draft class, I pretty sure the dark years from the tome Mooch was fired til Nolan was worst. The last to seasons have been NFCCG or better, what(!). Keep doing your Baalke & go niners
[ Edited by calinig4life on Aug 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
The sample size is way too small to make an accurate prediction. From the looks of it, 2013 looks to be another solid draft, making it 2 good drafts (i.e., 2011 and 2013) and one poor draft (i.e., 2012) for Trent Balke.

To be "objective" and "detached", based on the limited information we have, Balke is likely to hit on 2/3rds or 66% of his picks -- thus rejecting your hypothesis that he is overrated as he hits on more picks than not

(with confidence interval of 95% P < .05) -- -- I just made a statistics joke. My life has sunk to a new low.

lmao i actually really enjoyed this
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

Baalke also was in charge of the draft in 2010. He has had two good to excellent, drafts, one that is apparently poor, and one pending.

At the time of the 2010 draft, he was the interim general manager and in charge of the draft.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by 5280High:
I'm chill, it was more of a LMAO tone I was going for. We just have different views on his abilities and AJ. Bust, yes but worst pick ever? Not even close. He had a luxury pick to use and let his inner Al Davis get the best of him, but Jenkins wasn't a locker room cancer or a wifebeater just no confidence. And to hold injuries against him is lame, unless he drafts an injured player. Like if Carradine or Lattimore never get healthy than yeah hold that against him all you want.

What about Carlos Rogers, Boldin, extending McDonald, bowman,and Ian Williams. We needed a safety this year and so far Baalkes guy looks exactly like what you want out of a rookie.

It's ok not to rank him #1, but your post makes him sound like Donahue, when objectively he is easily top 5 in the league.

I said talent evaluation as in drafting. I don't see how you can argue AJ being the biggest bust, he was the only player besides Carmazzi to have literally ZERO production. And I heard somewhere that he is the first 1st round pick to not make it to his second season for like 30 years. Thats downright sorry. And Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial were all injured when drafted. Lattimore seems to be good to go soon but they are bringing him along slowly. Carradine is a question mark as well as Dial. If they pan out, great. But its pretty risky to take 3 injured players (especially one being a 2nd rounder at a position of need).

Are we now pretending to evaluate Baalke's drafting of the 2013 draft?
2013 is really strong. You got to look at Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick.

You have to look at the thing on balance. 2012 was wasted. Many before and after were really good even great drafts.
  • thl408
I normally expect production out of picks in the top 3 rounds. 4th round and beyond is miss more than hit in most cases. I have no stats to back that up, just seems that way. So with that said, I only expected AJ and LMJ to be consistent producers from 2012. LMJ belongs in the NFL, AJ is the only big miss, and even then he was a 30th pick.

Baalke is still damn good imo. He hit big time on Kap, Aldon, and Bowman. Great value in the mid rounds with Kendall Hunter and Culliver.

There have been worse drafts (1992, 2008).

Originally posted by MSteitz468:
The 2012 Draft Class did not have depth, so unless you picked in the first 15-20 picks, there weren't a whole lot of gems out there. Baalke was smart enough to trade away a lot of picks in the 2012 draft to get more in the very deep 2013 draft. It's too early to tell, but it looks like that was a shrewd move.

Good point.

Originally posted by buck:
Are we now pretending to evaluate Baalke's drafting of the 2013 draft?

No lol, just stating the fact that he drafted injured players and that it remains to be seen how it turns out
f**k Baalke for not being able to draft good players with late picks in the late round.

Can't believe he couldn't find superstars in those rounds like the rest of the GMs in the NFL
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
answer me this OP...if Baalke is overrated, who would you rather have as the team's GM?

Jesus, can the regular season start already?
How quickly we become spoiled...I'd rather have Baalke who, save for a few hiccups, has a solid track record and is committed to reloading and building this team thru the draft, is astute at stockpiling picks and comes out more often than not on the better end of trades than any other GM in the league (and about 30 other teams, less NE and out of spite SEA, would probably rather have Baalke or someone like him as well). We also seem to have short memories of the bad GMs we've had recently who squandered even worst picks at a more dire time in the team's fortunes, or the even worst GMs in the 90s who in the infancy years of FA mortgaged the team's future making big signings of old past-their-prime players while digging the salary cap hole deeper and more egregiously sometimes even traded away picks for short term rewards so that the Niners during those years sometime had only 2-3 players picked in the draft!
Share 49ersWebzone