There are 163 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I anticipate a game plan similar to week 1 last season, straight forward smash mouth football. it's not about what GB can do, it's about the 49ers executing what they can do even better. Is nelson playing for GB?
Originally posted by corona55569:
I anticipate a game plan similar to week 1 last season, straight forward smash mouth football. it's not about what GB can do, it's about the 49ers executing what they can do even better. Is nelson playing for GB?

The latest news is that he's been working hard to get back by the opening game, but he's questionable for it. That tells me that even if he plays, he won't be 100%.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@strat1080:

First off, I don't see many fans around here acting like the Niners are unbeatable. But, let me take a few of your arguments on their merits.

"They could win by more than 2 TDs but its not likely." The last time the teams played, the Niners won by 2 TD's with an injured front seven, a QB with just 7 starts under his belt and while spotting them a pick six.

"The Packers do not have question marks at WR. They have one of the best WR trios in the NFL in Nelson, Cobb, and Jones." They don't even know if Nelson will play the first game of the season and if he does, they acknowledge that he will not be 100%. Cobb is nursing a hamstring injury. So yes, there actually ARE question marks at WR.

"You don't just keep making it to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl year after year. Statistically the odds aren't in the 49ers favor." The Niners are entering their third year of being considered an elite team. How many years have the Patriots been in the conversation. And your argument about statistics is misguided because virtually every statistical analysis and Vegas betting line has the Niners as one of the favorites or the favorite to return to the Superbowl. I'm always amused by this argument that no SB loser has gotten back - it's an argument based on an incredibly small sample size.

This thread is about the first game with the Packers. I expect the Niners to win, but I'm never sure anyone is going to win. But let's look at that team. They've got injuries in the secondary - they're starting a rookie fifth rounder. They've got a new linebacker inside who runs with the same quickness as the Niners second TE even though he's 3" shorter and 30 lbs. lighter. Their best LB is Matthews and he was totally dominated in the last game. And their defense must face a QB who dominated them with very little experience the last time and now has had the benefit of an entire off season of preparation. On the O-line, they've lost their best player to injury. They're facing a Niner team with a completely healthy pass rush unlike the last game when the Niners' two most potent pass rushers were both injured.
Right bro. And ppl keep forgetting that most Super Bowl participants have significant roster and coaching turnover and inherit the tough 1 seed schedule and the bullseye that they can't overcome. We have already proven we can sustain and we return 19 of 22 starters with our coaching staff intact. We are not yesterday's Super Bowl Giants. We are the 49ers and we can do whatever we want!!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Right bro. And ppl keep forgetting that most Super Bowl participants have significant roster and coaching turnover and inherit the tough 1 seed schedule and the bullseye that they can't overcome. We have already proven we can sustain and we return 19 of 22 starters with our coaching staff intact. We are not yesterday's Super Bowl Giants. We are the 49ers and we can do whatever we want!!!

And the thing that bothers me about this metric is that a more accurate (but still small sample size) statistic would be how many teams return whether or not they win. The two participants are both Conference champions, so that's the only issue - how many teams repeat as conference champions. That's a larger number than how many SB losers return. A team in the game has returned to the game the next year 15 times. That's 32% of the time. And, like I pointed out, the Niners are only entering their third year of being considered a contender.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
They signed Seneca to their team to?
Can't wait til this game just to get away from talking about backup players on the team.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Can't wait til this game just to get away from talking about backup players on the team.

and to crush them and get ready for seattle
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strat1080:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Good points and nice observation... but I guess you didn't know about the conversation (above) that went on between Tolzien and his "dad"

On a real note, I see Niners winning by more than 2 TDs... Niners front seven will be better than anytime last year. The secondary will be one of our strengths (believe it or not). They have?? at WR and o-line. Their defense has not improved from last year (IMO). Our offense is going to shock many people....

They could win by more than 2 TDs but its not likely. The Packers tend to be very competitive in games and don't get blown out very often. The Packers do not have question marks at WR. They have one of the best WR trios in the NFL in Nelson, Cobb, and Jones. Reports coming out are saying Finley has made some serious strides. He never really was the same after his knee injury in 2010. What people fail to realize is that Jennings hardly even played the last couple of years.

Its a little early to say that they haven't made any improvements since last year. I always gotta love the know it alls who base everything off the previous season. Do people not learn? There are surprises for every team every year. The Packers were starting a lot of rookies last year on defense. I do think that many of them will show improvements. Rarely do teams look exactly the same as the season before. We've seen it all. Division winners failing to make the playoffs the next year. Super Bowl teams getting knocked out in the first round the next year. Super Bowl losers failing to make the playoffs next year. You don't just keep making it to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl year after year. Statistically the odds aren't in the 49ers favor. This is pro football.

I remember listening to a sports radio guy here in Denver mention this. He said 49ers fans must be sick to their stomache to have pissed up two great opportunities. Like I said, in the free agency and salary cap era teams don't just keep going to NFC Championship games and Super Bowls year after year. What happens is that these teams that are in the spotlight (deep playoff runs and Super Bowl appearances) start having their rosters invaded by other teams.

I think the NFC is wide open. I don't think there is a dramatically superior team in the conference. On any given day any of the elite teams in the NFC can emerge victorious. You're acting like the 49ers are unbeatable.

http://www.footballandfutbol.com/can-san-francisco-49ers-break-super-bowl-losers-funk/

Hello, my fine, funny, friendly friend! How are you, today? Fine, I hope.

Now, let's take a looksy here... 10 for starters, sweet prince

1. "They could win by more than 2 TDs but its not likely"... I say they will/you think they won't (both opinions).

2. "The Packers do not have question marks at WR" ... Jordy Nelson coming off surgery (RECENTLY!!) That's 1 question mark -- we won't know if he'll be back to full force till he begins playing in real games (FACT)! No Donald Driver/Greg Jennings ?? (AGAIN)... they may have just been a shell of themselves playing their final days in GB, but it's still 2 savvy veterans that are no longer on the depth chart and two of which had very good chemistry with Rodgers! (FACT)!

3. "Reports coming out are saying Finley has made some serious strides"... he's still suspect ("issues with drops and a steep drop-off in red-zone targets last season")... don't get it twisted, I think he's a very good TE and may do very well this coming season, but I'll have to see it to believe it (REAL GAMES) in 2013.

4. "Its a little early to say that they haven't made any improvements since last year"... We'll have to wait till the regular season rolls to have any (FACTS)... you may think they have improved/I don't think they have improved much, maybe a little, but not much (both opinions). I do believe they can get better (not worse) as the season goes along, Especially towards the end (barring more injuries) of the season.

5. "The Packers were starting a lot of rookies last year on defense." (FACT) "I do think that many of them will show improvements" (OPINION) "Rarely do teams look exactly the same as the season before" True, maybe not exactly the same and that is probably why the Packers haven't made it back to the NFCC in a while because they weren't "exactly the same" however, they have been good and made it to the playoffs year after year with McCarthy/Rodgers. I don't see why Harbaugh/Kaepernick/Top 3 defense won't do the same.

6. "You don't just keep making it to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl year after year" Buffalo Bills 4 SB in a row, Niners/Broncos/Packers made back to back SB appearances (no need to get W/L on those). Please let's not go here --> ("that's the past") because so is "Statistically the odds aren't in the 49ers favor"

7. "What happens is that these teams that are in the spotlight (deep playoff runs and Super Bowl appearances) start having their rosters invaded by other teams." Do you know who is STILL on the 49ers roster? 49ers STILL have as many or more pro bowlers than you have fingers on your hands (unless you have 6/7 fingers on each hand)! Furthermore, a few those pro bowlers are HOF bound. No one has invaded the 49ers roster, lately... if anything, the 49ers dumped a few (expendables) to other teams. Just like the 80s (when they were a powerhouse) they can afford to let go of good players (as starters on other teams). That's what happens when teams have a very good/competent HC/GM (Front Office for that matter).

8. "I think the NFC is wide open" (OPINION). "I don't think there is a dramatically superior team in the conference" Maybe not "dramatically" but certainly, there's last years NFC Champs and until someone knocks them off, they're STILL the NFC Champs and I gotta say, they look scarier on defense than a year ago! "On any given day any of the elite teams in the NFC can emerge victorious" That DEFINITELY includes the NFC Champs!

9. "You're acting like the 49ers are unbeatable" Are you looking at me, are you reading my body language, are you hearing my tone, did I once mention that the NFC Champs are unbeatable or are you just reading my OPINIONS????? Here are the correct answers to the prior questions (just in case )... NO NO NO NO and YES!

10. ""I always gotta love the know it alls" quoted like a champ "This is pro football" It most certainly isn't college, (FACT!!)
49ers will win 34-24. It will be close but then the 9ers will pull away toward the end. Kaep with 2 td passes and Gore with a td run and Kaep with a TD run also. The de will do just enough to slow the Package down. and on to Seattle 1-0 we go.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by corona55569:

The latest news is that he's been working hard to get back by the opening game, but he's questionable for it. That tells me that even if he plays, he won't be 100%.

Thanks G Nielsen I don't recall Nelson putting up big numbers against us last season, I believe cully was guarding him most of the time, I'm really looking forward to watching nnamdi

Let's go niners,still have that last drive taste in my mouth from the super bowl
green bay and sf are the best teams in the nfc and it's not even close.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
omg, less than a week away! I'll be going away on vacation to the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), but I'll find a sports bar in that vast wilderness to watch the game.

I start a 4 day weekend on Sunday. Turn in my essay on Saturday so I will be free to fully immerse myself in the first 49er game. Hope they pull these first two weeks off and show the league we are here to stick around.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
green bay and sf are the best teams in the nfc and it's not even close.

I put ATL in the discussion as a team and SEA as far as talent so I say SF, GB and ATL with SEA knocking at the door
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
omg, less than a week away! I'll be going away on vacation to the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), but I'll find a sports bar in that vast wilderness to watch the game.

I start a 4 day weekend on Sunday. Turn in my essay on Saturday so I will be free to fully immerse myself in the first 49er game. Hope they pull these first two weeks off and show the league we are here to stick around.

We have shown this last season after we replicated year 1 Harbaugh against all resistance then followed it up with another brilliant offseason and with already 13 picks for 2014 draft. I think every front office and coaching staff in the NFL knows we are the gold standard and are gunning for us. Now there are some dumb delusional fans that would like to believe otherwise but they are full of fail. We will prove it once more in 2013
Share 49ersWebzone