There are 237 users in the forums

Do we need a veteran QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Once Colt gets a grasp my hope is he is serviceable if needed. Still befuddled how tolzien kept his job over josh Johnson. I'm sure it had to do with tolziens knowledge and work ethic but he is obviously very limited

He was better than Josh Johnson. And he's better than Colt McCoy this year too.

I really hope so and Harbaugh should know better than I. I think with the atrocious play of the OL Thur it made both QBs look like garbage and it would have taken an athletic QB to overcome it

Yah the O-line had a lot to do with the offenses play. They must've seen something in Omameh to put him at RT, which in the end was a mistake. Carter Bykowski didn't look so good either, penalties and getting beat off the edge also killed drives.

When they fix the second team O-line we will be able to judge the back up QB's better, kind of.
I'll just paste this here...but I agree.

i do not have faith in McCoy... i think the Cleveland experience has ruined him or he just is not made out for this league..reminds me of JTO. potential but confidence issues and a turn over machine. I'm guessing if he continues to struggle we bring in a vet with true starting experience...and I think the only ones that might be available will be Travis Jackson (Seattle) and Rex Grossman from the Redskins. Not saying i like these guys...but i'd be more comfortable with them over McCoy. Wish we had Shaun really.

as far as Tolzien, i think he has a stronger arm than some give him credit for and can move for someone perceived as a statue. I like Scott and as preseason goes along, hope he can prove without doubt he should be the backup.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'll just paste this here...but I agree.

i do not have faith in McCoy... i think the Cleveland experience has ruined him or he just is not made out for this league..reminds me of JTO. potential but confidence issues and a turn over machine. I'm guessing if he continues to struggle we bring in a vet with true starting experience...and I think the only ones that might be available will be Travis Jackson (Seattle) and Rex Grossman from the Redskins. Not saying i like these guys...but i'd be more comfortable with them over McCoy. Wish we had Shaun really.

as far as Tolzien, i think he has a stronger arm than some give him credit for and can move for someone perceived as a statue. I like Scott and as preseason goes along, hope he can prove without doubt he should be the backup.

Tolzien is better than McCoy IMO. And his arm is better than people think. I watched him for years at University of Wisconsin. I have some relatives in that state. And he can make the throws. He was there before Russell Wilson. In fact the prior QB. He doesn't have a rocket but he's not as weak as some are making him out to be. The 2nd string O Line was horrific. He's pretty good with time. Gets the ball out quick and is accurate. Reads the field well. Makes the right decision.
I agree with most that the 2nd/3rd string O-line was a huge issue in evaluating the backup QBs in this first preseason game. McCoy and Tolzien just didn't have time to show what they could do with better protection.

It reminds me of 2011 preseason when Kap didn't look so great either and people kept repeating it for another year and a half. The protection was terrible, even for Alex with the first string OL. I was surprised Alex didn't get injured since he took some huge hits.

Yeah, New Orleans made it even worse with all the blitzing. But our OL didn't look very good in other preseason games either. I guess it was just learning a new system?

It's just funny looking back at it how people knocked Kap as a rookie considering the bad protection. Like Alex, Kap was getting hit too.

It all shows how important a great OL is. I'm glad we have one now that we've had a consistent system. And I expect the backups to improve too.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I don't know which veterans may become available, but they definitely made a mistake by cutting Josh Johnson over Tolzien.

At this point, my only hope is on BJ Daniels. They need to start taking BJ more seriously and give him some proper QB reps instead of trying him out for WR, KR or what not.

Give him reps in practice and put him in the rotation in the next game and see what he can do.
Tolzicuisesz anybody?LOL
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Great news, just read on 49ers.com that Harbaugh said BJ Daniels will get playing time at QB !! Let's hope he can bring it !!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
That secoond team oline was a joke. I'm not gonna judge these QBs on this game. Interested to see what Daniels does in a game tho.
NO.
Nah, Colt is still the guy to me. He only threw 7 passes and was under heavy pressure. Hard to grade him under those circumstances.

LMFAOOOO another genius thread..
  • buck
  • Veteran
Harbaugh knows Josh Johnson. Harbaugh coached Josh Johnson at the University of San Diego.

Last year, Harbaugh opted to keep Scot Tolzien, not Josh Johnson, as our third quarterback.

If Harbaugh had wanted Josh Johnson, I am pretty sure that we would have kept him.

That choice surprised many people. Harbaugh despite his experience with JJ opted to keep Tolzien.

I wonder why Harbaugh decided to go with Tolzien.

Josh Johnson has been in the league for five years. He has played in 27 games.

He has completed 54.2% of his passes--.96 of 177 for 1,042 yards. He averaged 5.8 yards per attempt.

He has thrown for 5 touchdowns and 10 touchdowns--2.8% of his passes were touchdowns and 5.6% of his passes were picks.

My guess is that Harbaugh did not make a mistake.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM ]
Yes we need a veteran QB with an ARM. but who comes to mind?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
jeff garcia still got it.
Totally agree w/buck.

Josh Johnson is not a better QB backup than Tolzein.

And Palmer - he totally sucks so forget about him.

Scott will do just fine w/a quality OLine in front of him. I hope we NEVER have to find out.

I think our real concern based on the first preseason game will be backup offensive tackles.
Share 49ersWebzone