LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I really don't know how anyone could criticize Reid's first game playing safety. Of course he was thinking. The position is safety. And, as far as I'm concerned, he put on an absolute clinic in tackling in his very first game. It's easy for me to understand why some scouts called him the best tackler in college football last year. I think Reid is going to be nails.

But, the defensive players I really can't get over as far as how impressive they were are Lemonier and Williams. O.M.G. Lemonier is so quick off the line, it's shocking. And I had no idea Ian Williams could be such a beast at NT. Think about it - they were able to stop Peyton Manning's no-huddle offense without Patrick Willis and Justin Smith in the fricking lineup! And they were very, very good on the back end last night. The corners were almost perfect. I am really liking the way the defense looks.

And the offense? So much for those fans worried about whether or not Kaepernick could run a controlled, long-drive offense. That guy is going to roll this year. I can just feel it.

Again...just writing what I see. Not meant to be critical...just writing what I see.
1) Kap is the man. No worries here.

2) Neither QB looked great. A lot of people seem to think Tolzien outplayed McCoy. I don't see it that way. I think McCoy flashed more ability, particularly when he escaped the pocket and tossed a nice ball to Hall. The overthrow to Jenkins was bad. Tolzien is tough to watch for me. He goes through his reads very quickly, but his throws travel in slow-motion. He throws a weak ball. Josh Johnson outplayed him last year, and should have made the roster over him.

3) Vance looks like he's going to be a stud. Big body, can move, is a hands catcher, and can win jump balls. I like it. I see him as 3rd leading receiver this year behind Boldin and VD.

4) Hard to gauge safety play from my TV, but I thought Reid was fine. I'm not surprised he may have played with a little less decisiveness than what we're used to with Goldson. Safety is the last line of defense. One false step could be the difference between a short gain and a TD. He never got beat or exposed, and that's what I was looking for. He just needs a few games to get comfortable. He's been progressing very quickly in camp.

5) Agree with you on Jenkins. I'm gonna cut him some slack, although the fumble is all on him. The QB has to be able to trust you, and I think that may be lacking right now. But he does get separation and he has flashed ability to pluck the ball and run. He was open several times yesterday. He toasted the DB on the McCoy INT. Had Kap been at QB, he would have drilled a pass right into his hands before the safety came over the top. I want to see Jenkins get more time with the 1's in the next couple games.

6) Amazing what a mobile QB can do for your line. Kap bailed out Staley and Davis twice, and made a negative into a positive both times. Not worried though. Davis and Staley are the best pair of bookends in the league IMO.

7) Asomugha had a nice game, although his usefulness is a bit limited because he only lines up at RCB. Brock is the 3rd corner and will remain higher on the depth chart because he can play LCB when Rogers moves to the slot in nickel. Cox had a tremendous game. Should seal his spot on the 53. I don't think Wright is a lock to make the roster. He has to contribute in camp and in the games. Overall, I actually feel pretty good about this group.

8) James looked good, especially with the first-string offense. I'd love to see him get involved in the passing game a little bit. I think he even fielded a punt yesterday without fumbling! Went for 0 yards, but it's progress.

9) Okoye played about how most expected. He looks lost. Doesn't know how to translate his immense measurable to the field just yet. It's all good. I think 2 years here on the practice squad will do wonders for the guy. By year 3, he should make significant progress.

10) Amen!!!!
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kaep: Kaep was Kaep. I don't see a dropoff this year as many in the Pacific Northwest hope. Had complete command over what he was doing and just looks comfortable.

2) The other QB's: I kinda think it may be a bit unfair to judge either guy because they were under a barrage of pressure all night. Niners have some issue at OT in those 2nd and third teams, but I'm not really that concerned with it. Adam Snyder can move out there if need be. The guys who were playing tackle yesterday will probably not even be on the roster. Colt didn't look great, but I still think he wins this competition. Tolzien looks kinda manic, can't move around very well, and doesn't have a good arm. Colt doesn't have the arm either, but he played yesterday while still learning this O. Tolzien played like that after being here for over 2 years. I like Tolziens release...but not much else.

3) Vance McDonald: Keeper. He's got to get some time on the jugs machine but he was able to do some stuff that Vernon can't...IE find a soft spot and sit in a zone. He was able to go up for a high pass. He was even able to run away from a defender at his size. He has all the tools. Watch out...that guys gonna be good.

4) Eric Reid: I'm not as high on him after this game as others. I don't think he had a bad game, but I don't think he was really good either. He had some good hits but in both cases the player had already gotten the first down. I also saw him try to make too many arm tackles and almost completely missed the RB on a long gain. He seems kinda tentative right now and isn't playing downhill the way we are accustomed to with Whitner and Goldson. I don't know yet if thats just experience or if that is indicative of the player he will be. I don't want to overstate...he did look good...just seems a bit hesitant.

5) AJ Jenkins: OK...I know the kid hasn't had a good history, but I think we need to cut him some slack on this one. The fumble was bad...but he was getting off the press coverage and was getting open behind the defender all night. He was showing some speed out there...the QBs just never found him. He was also WIDE open several times on crossing routes but the QB made another decision. The QBs couldn't get the ball to him when he was going deep because they were getting crushed. On the INT he'd have been wide open as well if Colt didn't completely stare him down or overthrow him. I'm not trying to completely absolve Jenkins of every mistake he's ever made, but I think too much is being made of this game. I was actually encouraged by how he was moving around out there.

6) Starting Tackles: Both guys got beat on that first series and it was Kaep who saved them both times. Staley got beat and Colin scrambled forward for the first down. Anthony Davis was a victim to one of the best spin moves I've ever seen. LOL. This just in: Von Miller is good.

7) Cornerbacks: I still don't know what to make of these guys. It looks like we are going with Rodgers and Brown again as the starters and I'm guessing Brock is the Nickel Corner. There is no way they can put Nnamdi in the slot. He can be good tho defending a specific type player. I can see them using him on taller rangier WRs, but I don't want to see him in there vs Harvin/Austin. Not sure what to make of Eric Wright yet.

8) LaMichael James: Looks bigger with the same speed. He may be in for a big year as the #2 RB behind Frank. I'd obviously want Frank in there at all times, but I'm much more comfortable now with James sharing some of that load...and we still have Hunter this year and Lattimore to look forward to next year.

9) Lawrence Okoye: LOL. He only got a few snaps...but wow...that guy needs some work. If you look at him move around its obvious he's HUGE and built like a greek god...but watching him "fire" off the line...he just looks REALLY, REALLY unsure and doesn't seem to be using any of that power yet. I'm not saying he won't...just sayin' he's got ALOT of work to do.

10) Thank god almighty...FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!

Just wanna point out on your notes that we don't need to defend Harvin cause he'll be out as long as Crab is, but I'm sure you're talking about the garden variety slot receiver we have to face whenever it comes up. Otherwise nice comments. I agree on Reid that he wasn't that great or that bad.
  • J49er
  • Veteran
First let me say Trent Baalke is a excellent talent evaluator from rounds 1-3 (minus aj jenkins). What worries me is Baalke's drafting of late round picks that deplete the depth on the team, which reared its ugly head last night. I'm not here to say he is a bad GM which would be ludicrous, but his weakness (if i may) is his use of mid-late draft picks.

It seems most of his picks past round 4 are complete reaches that have very little chance of making a long term replacements of existing players on the roster. Since he picks from a point of strength (One of the most talented rosters inherited)..contrary to popular belief 4-6th round picks are pretty valuable. (ie Boldin) (colt mccoy) etc..thus hitting on these picks are the backbone for long term success in the NFL. here's a look at what we have yielded.

Jason Slowey (6) Nick Moody 6 Nate Byhnam (6) Ronald Johnson (6) Colin Jones (6) Mike Pearson (7) Joe Looney (4) Trent Robinson
Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont want Snyder anywhere near OT.

he used to BE the starter at right tackle. and was utter garbage. he's better as a guard
Originally posted by valrod33:
Best part of NinerTalk is back

This for real
how did ian williams look?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninergold:
how did ian williams look?

Not good, he was getting pushed back on a double team and ended up next to the Safeties, he looked like a offensive tackle playing DT......wait a minute my mistake that was Lawrence Okoye.
Really liked what I saw up front and from several rookies Lemonier, Reid and McDonald. Can't wait to see this team healthy, especially the DL with Justin, Tank and Dial out there with this group.
Originally posted by J49er:
First let me say Trent Baalke is a excellent talent evaluator from rounds 1-3 (minus aj jenkins). What worries me is Baalke's drafting of late round picks that deplete the depth on the team, which reared its ugly head last night. I'm not here to say he is a bad GM which would be ludicrous, but his weakness (if i may) is his use of mid-late draft picks.

It seems most of his picks past round 4 are complete reaches that have very little chance of making a long term replacements of existing players on the roster. Since he picks from a point of strength (One of the most talented rosters inherited)..contrary to popular belief 4-6th round picks are pretty valuable. (ie Boldin) (colt mccoy) etc..thus hitting on these picks are the backbone for long term success in the NFL. here's a look at what we have yielded.

Jason Slowey (6) Nick Moody 6 Nate Byhnam (6) Ronald Johnson (6) Colin Jones (6) Mike Pearson (7) Joe Looney (4) Trent Robinson

ummmm, Alex Boone was either a 7th round pick or UDFA, Kendall Hunter was a 4th round pick, Bruce Miller a 7th round guy that played DE in college and Baalke had the foresight to draft as a FB, Daniel Kilgore was a late round pick (whom will be our starting C by next year), Ian Williams was a late round pick and is now looking like our starting NT that will be an improvement over the Soap/RJF combo we had last year. Just with that body of work you have 3 current starters and another 2 that could be starters in the near future. Add in the fact that we just got Marcus Lattimore in the 4th round this year and I think Baalke has done a fantastic job in the later rounds of the draft.

you have to remember that not every player is going to be a star. teams need role players, ST players, backups, a 53 man roster cannot be made up soley of Frank Gore's and Patrick Willis' it just doesn't work that way. Aside from those I named plenty of guys on this roster that we cannot judge yet, even those you mock like Colin Jones is a great ST player that the 49ers missed last season when they traded him away (the fact a team wanted to trade for him shows he is a good player), Joe Looney could compete with Kilgore down the road to unseat Goodwin as the starting center, Trenton Robinson is a decent ST players with potential at the S position.

Sorry to pounce on you man but how can you be a fan of this team and make a statement like that about the GM after he built this team up the way he has (along with Harbaugh)? It's obvious by your statement that you A) Have no clue how NFL teams are built and B) Have zero clue what a great GM looks like. Or maybe you're just a noob.
[ Edited by matt49er on Aug 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]

Marvin's game reviews are finally back, ahh now i can get my life back together.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont want Snyder anywhere near OT.

I'm guessing Boone is our backup OT.
Encouraged that Jenkins was getting open. Reid is going to take his lumps. Kaep looked fantastic and that is the most important take away from last night.
Originally posted by matt49er:

ummmm, Alex Boone was either a 7th round pick or UDFA, Kendall Hunter was a 4th round pick, Bruce Miller a 7th round guy that played DE in college and Baalke had the foresight to draft as a FB, Daniel Kilgore was a late round pick (whom will be our starting C by next year), Ian Williams was a late round pick and is now looking like our starting NT that will be an improvement over the Soap/RJF combo we had last year. Just with that body of work you have 3 current starters and another 2 that could be starters in the near future. Add in the fact that we just got Marcus Lattimore in the 4th round this year and I think Baalke has done a fantastic job in the later rounds of the draft.

you have to remember that not every player is going to be a star. teams need role players, ST players, backups, a 53 man roster cannot be made up soley of Frank Gore's and Patrick Willis' it just doesn't work that way. Aside from those I named plenty of guys on this roster that we cannot judge yet, even those you mock like Colin Jones is a great ST player that the 49ers missed last season when they traded him away (the fact a team wanted to trade for him shows he is a good player), Joe Looney could compete with Kilgore down the road to unseat Goodwin as the starting center, Trenton Robinson is a decent ST players with potential at the S position.

Sorry to pounce on you man but how can you be a fan of this team and make a statement like that about the GM after he built this team up the way he has (along with Harbaugh)? It's obvious by your statement that you A) Have no clue how NFL teams are built and B) Have zero clue what a great GM looks like. Or maybe you're just a noob.

I wouldn't go as far as you did, a little over the top, but yeah it seems like people do not even look at reality around here at times. They live in a world where every pic turns into a pro bowler, nobody should miss a single block on the season or make a bad throw. Every other team is just stocked with these perfect players that our front office wasn't smart enough to draft. The reality is all the other teams are at best the same and most are far worse....you are just paying waaaay more attention to our guys. It's like that little scratch in your car that you can't, not see....but nobody else notices.

After Round 4 is a crap shoot. Those picks fill out training camp. Occasionally, you get a diamond in the rough. I will take good picks through the first 4 rounds any year. That said, he missed on AJ. Jenkins should have been a 4th rounder.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone