LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So, looks like Collie may make it but Hawkins not so much?
Too soon to say very much about WR. QBs had very little time to scan the field and find the open guy. The coaching staff has seen a lot in practice and has a much better idea of who will make it and who won't than we learned from last night. Still a totally blank page, IMO.

With the secondary fairing pretty well... WR competition now takes center stage.
  • Jiks
I heard Warren Sapp talking about our secondary at the end of last year and he had some valid points. Said they got to comfortable always having a pass rush, but once Smith and Smith were injured those chances they had the luxury to take diminished yet they were still taking them. That's why we kept getting beat wide is our safety's were too comfortable jumping routes instead of playing their zone/man.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I heard Warren Sapp talking about our secondary at the end of last year and he had some valid points. Said they got to comfortable always having a pass rush, but once Smith and Smith were injured those chances they had the luxury to take diminished yet they were still taking them. That's why we kept getting beat wide is our safety's were too comfortable jumping routes instead of playing their zone/man.

Sounds spot on to me. And it's going to be the same thing this year, everything starts up front.
Our back up punter/kickoff guy Schmidt did a good job with his kicks, I was impressed with the way he ran down Holliday. I'm rewatching game right now and just noticed he's a very big dude.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
what about Phil Dawson any concerns ?

he's old.
it'll be an up & down season
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Btw, anyone notice Carlos Rogers blanketing Wes Welker last night, surprise no mention of that. Had good coverage on him on an out-route.

Great point Kolohe!!! Rogers takes a lot of heat here in the zone. Its nice to see credit given to the guy when he plays well. He did look good out there. I have to admit when I saw him lined up on Welker my first thought was Great job Carlos!! Hopefully he can play a little close to the 2011 version than 2012. That goes for the entire defense though.

Had a feeling they would match him up with Welker, Rogers did a good job with him last year against the Pats.

Re-watching the game a third time right now, and I gotta say Garrett Celek needs to work on his blocking.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Our back up punter/kickoff guy Schmidt did a good job with his kicks, I was impressed with the way he ran down Holliday. I'm rewatching game right now and just noticed he's a very big dude.

looks like a junior college 3-4 end
I wanted to see more of Lockette when he was a WR, but that special teams hit he put on Trindon Holliday was EPIC!!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by verb1der:

Sounds spot on to me. And it's going to be the same thing this year, everything starts up front.
Fully agree. Having a healthy Haralson back will give more depth to keep the front 7 fresh. Also, Lemonier showed great quickness last night. I was particularly impressed with one play where he went around the OT and had enough speed to get back inside to hit Osweiler. That kind of agility/mobility is something none of the other guys bring. Aldon has deceptive power and straight line speed but has not shown me the kind of agility Lemonier showed last night.

So with Aldon, Brooks, Haralson and Lem rotating on the outside, that should provide a better pass rush into the 4th quarter than we had last season.

Also, I believe Ian Williams will give more push up the middle than Sopoaga did last season. Middle pressure is SO critical to slowing down a passing team, and we will play a bunch of them this year, and Williams appears able to do that better than either Sop or Francois. (RJF was a very solid player last year but didn't bring much heat.)

Also, Dobbs as a backup will bring more heat than any of last season's backups. I recall Ray McDonald and Justin saying several times this pre-season that this year's DL group is better overall than last season. It looked like it last night.

The secondary is always at the mercy of the pass rush.
I kept wondering when you'd post, Marvin49! Thank you as always.

Fully agree. Having a healthy Haralson back will give more depth to keep the front 7 fresh. Also, Lemonier showed great quickness last night. I was particularly impressed with one play where he went around the OT and had enough speed to get back inside to hit Osweiler. That kind of agility/mobility is something none of the other guys bring. Aldon has deceptive power and straight line speed but has not shown me the kind of agility Lemonier showed last night.

So with Aldon, Brooks, Haralson and Lem rotating on the outside, that should provide a better pass rush into the 4th quarter than we had last season.

Also, I believe Ian Williams will give more push up the middle than Sopoaga did last season. Middle pressure is SO critical to slowing down a passing team, and we will play a bunch of them this year, and Williams appears able to do that better than either Sop or Francois. (RJF was a very solid player last year but didn't bring much heat.)

Also, Dobbs as a backup will bring more heat than any of last season's backups. I recall Ray McDonald and Justin saying several times this pre-season that this year's DL group is better overall than last season. It looked like it last night.

Yes on Ian Williams. His initial burst and speed will only help the defensive line.
lol we lose our #1 and #2 NTs to FA and yet we improve LOLOLOL
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
lol we lose our #1 and #2 NTs to FA and yet we improve LOLOLOL

per Ray McDonald... which is also why we extended Ian Williams.

Our FO knows what they are doing!
Originally posted by leon49:
I wanted to see more of Lockette when he was a WR, but that special teams hit he put on Trindon Holliday was EPIC!!!!

Tony Montana squad will beast out this year

HELL YEAH!!! Ian Williams has me so pumped up!!! Love the burst he's showing. Ray was spot on when he said he was an upgrade. Love that he's doing so well that it puts Dorsey in a sub role for all 3 spots.

Also, Lemonier is a pass rush BEAST!! His JR year at Auburn he was a TERROR. He was the only player on the team his Sr year and got lost. He has the talent of a 1st round pick, and now has the hardest working players in the league to learn from. He can flat out get to the QB and cause major problems! Love that pick more and more!!! Just wait until we get Tank back midseason....Having a rotation of Aldon, Brooks, Tank, Lemonier, Justin, Haralson and Ray rushing the passer on 3rd and long??? That's gonna be a beast not only this year, but everyone aside from Haralson will be together for at least 2 more years. LOVE IT!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone