There are 271 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kaep: Kaep was Kaep. I don't see a dropoff this year as many in the Pacific Northwest hope. Had complete command over what he was doing and just looks comfortable.

2) The other QB's: I kinda think it may be a bit unfair to judge either guy because they were under a barrage of pressure all night. Niners have some issue at OT in those 2nd and third teams, but I'm not really that concerned with it. Adam Snyder can move out there if need be. The guys who were playing tackle yesterday will probably not even be on the roster. Colt didn't look great, but I still think he wins this competition. Tolzien looks kinda manic, can't move around very well, and doesn't have a good arm. Colt doesn't have the arm either, but he played yesterday while still learning this O. Tolzien played like that after being here for over 2 years. I like Tolziens release...but not much else.

3) Vance McDonald: Keeper. He's got to get some time on the jugs machine but he was able to do some stuff that Vernon can't...IE find a soft spot and sit in a zone. He was able to go up for a high pass. He was even able to run away from a defender at his size. He has all the tools. Watch out...that guys gonna be good.

4) Eric Reid: I'm not as high on him after this game as others. I don't think he had a bad game, but I don't think he was really good either. He had some good hits but in both cases the player had already gotten the first down. I also saw him try to make too many arm tackles and almost completely missed the RB on a long gain. He seems kinda tentative right now and isn't playing downhill the way we are accustomed to with Whitner and Goldson. I don't know yet if thats just experience or if that is indicative of the player he will be. I don't want to overstate...he did look good...just seems a bit hesitant.

5) AJ Jenkins: OK...I know the kid hasn't had a good history, but I think we need to cut him some slack on this one. The fumble was bad...but he was getting off the press coverage and was getting open behind the defender all night. He was showing some speed out there...the QBs just never found him. He was also WIDE open several times on crossing routes but the QB made another decision. The QBs couldn't get the ball to him when he was going deep because they were getting crushed. On the INT he'd have been wide open as well if Colt didn't completely stare him down or overthrow him. I'm not trying to completely absolve Jenkins of every mistake he's ever made, but I think too much is being made of this game. I was actually encouraged by how he was moving around out there.

6) Starting Tackles: Both guys got beat on that first series and it was Kaep who saved them both times. Staley got beat and Colin scrambled forward for the first down. Anthony Davis was a victim to one of the best spin moves I've ever seen. LOL. This just in: Von Miller is good.

7) Cornerbacks: I still don't know what to make of these guys. It looks like we are going with Rodgers and Brown again as the starters and I'm guessing Brock is the Nickel Corner. There is no way they can put Nnamdi in the slot. He can be good tho defending a specific type player. I can see them using him on taller rangier WRs, but I don't want to see him in there vs Harvin/Austin. Not sure what to make of Eric Wright yet.

8) LaMichael James: Looks bigger with the same speed. He may be in for a big year as the #2 RB behind Frank. I'd obviously want Frank in there at all times, but I'm much more comfortable now with James sharing some of that load...and we still have Hunter this year and Lattimore to look forward to next year.

9) Lawrence Okoye: LOL. He only got a few snaps...but wow...that guy needs some work. If you look at him move around its obvious he's HUGE and built like a greek god...but watching him "fire" off the line...he just looks REALLY, REALLY unsure and doesn't seem to be using any of that power yet. I'm not saying he won't...just sayin' he's got ALOT of work to do.

10) Thank god almighty...FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
I dont want Snyder anywhere near OT.
Best part of NinerTalk is back

Originally posted by jreff22:

I'd take him over who was playing there last night.

My point tho is that we have players that back up several positions. I don't see those guys who played last night making it into a game.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Best part of NinerTalk is back

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jreff22:

I'd take him over who was playing there last night.

My point tho is that we have players that back up several positions. I don't see those guys who played last night making it into a game.

Yep that and then Kilgore backing up g/c along with Snyder.
Marvin...good stuff. Im a HUGE Vance guy, I think he's gonna be an absolute stud if he can just shake the dropsies. At this stage Im more interested in seeing how his blocking is developing, I think he gets a solid B for his blocking in this game! Huge improvement from what scouts were saying when he came out of Rice.
Great to see Marvin's "Thoughts..." again.

Here's to a GREAT season!!!
At CB I think I would put Nnamdi on the outside and let him play press converge. Brown on the other side. I guess Rogers at the slot since they like him there, at least he won't have to face Cruz and Amendola this year. I would put the depth chart as Brown, Rogers, Asomugha, Cox, Brock. Then if we keep 6 either Wright or Cooper.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
At CB I think I would put Nnamdi on the outside and let him play press converge. Brown on the other side. I guess Rogers at the slot since they like him there, at least he won't have to face Cruz and Amendola this year. I would put the depth chart as Brown, Rogers, Asomugha, Cox, Brock. Then if we keep 6 either Wright or Cooper.

Wow...how could I forget Cox? He actually looked really good last night.

Yeah, Cox was awesome! He should be our #3 CB. I thought he made a statement. I sure hope the #3 CB spot really is an open competition, cause Brock didn't look nearly as good as Cox.
Also, I though Lemonier looked very good. After Vance McDonald, he had the best night of all our rookie IMO.

Yep and I said this last offseason but why isn't AJ, Perrish, etc not getting more opportunities to return kicks/punts. We seemed locked into Williams and LMJ who I'm not sure has it. It might take him some time though. We were also giving Hunter returns last pre season (or year before?) as well and I didn't think he fit there. I'd like to see Cox get some opportunities against the first string punt return teams. As for Cox yeah I would say he is #4 right now but could be battling Asomugha for #3. Since Rogers is the slot guy and now days 3 CB's start against most teams (passing offenses) Asomugha/Cox could be on the other side of Brown.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]
Dixon was a bright spot last night in the fact that he did what he was supposed to do against 2nd and 3rd team defense. He found holes, shot through them, broke a few arm tackles, caught passes and made tackles on ST. Hard to believe he's the 4th RB. LMJ may have the speed and return ability but i might like Dixon more especially after the LMJ fumble.
what about Phil Dawson any concerns ?
Share 49ersWebzone