There are 189 users in the forums

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Where was Quinton Patton? Sorry I've been out of the loop

Nursing a hurt finger. Running routes in training camp, but not allowed to catch a pass.

Thanks do you know how long he is in the shelf?
Gnielsen you make it seem like he has a paper cut. One is broken for sure and the other I think is sprained. So like you said he's been running routes and learning that way but they had him in a blue jersey meaning don't throw passes his way. No point in aggravating it further. Harbaalke, good question never had a broken finger so no idea but it's been broke for a like a week and a 1/2 now so I would guess he should be ready by the start of the season.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Gnielsen you make it seem like he has a paper cut. One is broken for sure and the other I think is sprained. So like you said he's been running routes and learning that way but they had him in a blue jersey meaning don't throw passes his way. No point in aggravating it further. Harbaalke, good question never had a broken finger so no idea but it's been broke for a like a week and a 1/2 now so I would guess he should be ready by the start of the season.

Actually they are throwing passes his way, he just isaint supposed to catch them. The blue jersey means no contact. According to reports he has indeed caught a few balls though even though hes not supposed to.
Winners: Ian Williams, Corey Lemonier, Parrish Cox, Tramaine Brock, Eric Reed, Vance Mcdonald, Michael Whilhoite, Daniel Kilgore, Chad Hall, Marlon Moore, Payrs Haralson,

Losers: A.J. Jenkins, Lavelle Hawkins, Cam Johnson, Nate Stupar, Colt McCoy, Joe Looney, D.J. Harper, Glen Dorsey, All the backup o-linemen.

Not Sure Yet: Dan Skuta, Nnamdi Asomugha, Demarcus Dobbs, Jason Sheplar
Not sure on Skuta? WTF He had 2 sacks.
Originally posted by robniner:
WINNERS: Reid and the 1st team offense, Vance McDonald, Eric Reid

LOSERS: The backup QBs, Okoye.

Vance dropped some easy plays.
Originally posted by NCommand:
My full comprehensive player analysis: 1st Half

(player helped himself towards the 53); only for bubble players (not locks)

Offense:
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels - Colin looked terrific and decisive and found Boldin/Davis. CK still our main weapon on 3rd downs? Colt, INT, high hand off (almost lead to fumble x2; snap exchange); looks more like a #3 at the moment. Tolzien is still the #2 IMHO but struggled with the short touch pass and crossing route but by far, was the most decisive (experience); excellent out passes and intermediate drop-in sideline passes. Drove for score in 2-minute drill.
RB: LaMichael James, D.J. Harper, Jewel Hampton - James looked more decisive and had a couple nice runs esp. off-tackle which is big for us/Gore. Still does a lot of spinning; almost lost a fumble deep in our territory. Harper has no chance of making the team.
FB: Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon, Jason Scheplar - Bruce just rules (is everywhere/does everything!). Period. We NEED a pure FB to learn behind him; Dixon loss of yards and then decent gain on goal line run. Poor pass blocking from Dixon.
X: A.J. Jenkins, Marlon Moore, Kassim Osgood, Chuck Jacobs, Chad Hall - Moore, nice adjustment and hands on broken play. Osgood had a couple nice quick catches and used body well; fantastic catch on two-minute drill. AJ half effort on one (INT); looks explosive and then fumbles (his issue is between the ears/confidence). Hall is a scrappy, reliable WR.
Y (SLOT): Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie - nothing here in 1st half
Z: Anquan Boldin, Ricardo Lockette, Charly Martin, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie - Boldin looked dominant and was moved all over the field. Nothing from anyone else in the 1st half.
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray, Cameron Morrah - VD is the man (loved how they lined him up off the LOS on one side and ran him across the formation at the snap isolated on a MLB (no chance). McDonald had some nice edge-sealing blocks for James. Hands continue to be a consistent issue but his is a mismatch and when he catches, it's for big gains...carries defenders for extra yards. Nothing else beyond VD/McDonald.
LOT: Joe Staley, Adam Snyder, Carter Bykowski, Luke Marquardt - All tackles had issues sealing as many TFL today (interior as well). James did what he could.
ROT: Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder, Kenny Wiggins, Patrick Omameh - Davis another FS; burned by Miller. Great run blocking though as usual. Synder looked decent on sweeps. Patrick is gone.
LG: Mike Iupati, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney, Alex Boone - nothing to report on backups here in the 1st half
RG: Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Wayne Tribue - nothing to report on backups here in the 1st half
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney - Kilgore got the start and looked really good; good lanes up the gut for James; no issues with short and long (shotgun) snaps.

Defense:
RDE: Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Lawrence Okoye - Dobbs had nice holding the point, penetration and sticking his nose in there and played both end spots (1/2 sack from LDE). Tony has no chance to make the team.
LDE: Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu, Lawrence Okoye, (Quinton Dial) - Will has no chance to make this team but had some decent pressure as LDE.
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell - Ian great penetration all game long (1/2 sack); great motor and collapses the pocket (Brooks/Aldon will LOVE him)! Dorsey not holding the POC well at first; getting shoved back 5 yards (plays high); nice forced holding call on penetration. Divens looked good on double-team and stuffed a run by getting really ow and firing (RB hit a wall).
WILL: Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Cameron Johnson - Aldon excellent on sealing edge and brought some pressures as well. Haralson was active all game and played both spots; decent pressure/hits right after the throw; sealed edge well. Not much to see from Johnson tonight.
SAM: Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta - Brooks excellent on sealing edge. Skuta had two registered sacks here but also played well at middle LB and the WILL. Corey did a great job of sealing the edge and is going to get some snaps this year as a SAM on rush downs (dips down very low and forces a key incompletion x2 - long ass arms).
MIKE: Patrick Willis, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody - Wilhoite looked very encouraging; good assignments and penetration (1/2 a sack). Moody looked good and even pressure to force a sack.
TED: NaVorro Bowman, Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson, Dan Skuta - Bowman looked decent. Stupar behind and too short on a 3rd down conversion over him.
RCB: Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris Nnamdi looks ready and fired up to play; blanket coverage and form tackling and great read-react. Cox had a nice breakup (near INT).
LCB: Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper - Brock had blanket coverage on deep sideline throw.
SLOT: Carlos Rogers, Terell Brown, Daryl Morris - nothing to report on backups here in the 1st half
NICKLE: Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox - Cox was solid in his assignments
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas - Reid is ready to go; Spillman looked good in his assignments but only decent in coverage; he is fantastic at read-react in the box though (TFL). Sorry, Thomas, no chance.
SS: Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, Darcel McBath, Raymond "Bubba" Ventrone - Dahl had nice angles and form tackling (good read-react). Whitner played 1/2 speed, late in coverage (soft).

Special Teams:
Coverage: Decent (teams were there early/deep but missed tackles lead to good starting yards for Denver). Osgood, first gunner down and made play on kick from our EZ. Holy sh!t Daryl Morris is fast...first one down in PR followed by Wilhoite/Dixon.
PK: Phil Dawson - Missed a key FG and made 2 other FG's and kicks were deep in the EZ.
P/H: Andy Lee, Colton Schmidt - decent night for Lee.
LS: Brian Jennings, Kevin McDermott
PR: LaMichael James, Chad Hall, Perrish Cox - James looks much more decisive here. Hall had multiple fair catches and also looked very decisive, secure.
KOR: LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Perrish Cox - Dixon returning KO's? Another sign he is doing everything he can just to make the team (returned to the 24). Cox looked more "electric" and had a really nice gain to the 40 (34 yard return).

Coaching: Stalled in the RZ again but ran LOTS of Q-formations with 1 FB/RB or 2 RB's, etc. Shotguns. Loved how they used Boldin/VD. A 5-WR set (4 WR's and 1 RB) - shotgun, empty backfield? Wow! 1st down! Nice clock-eating drive for the initial FG. Too many TO's. 2nd string OL looked terrible.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/#IyiWCOV6Tkwy0S3j.99

Moody played very well.
One thing is that Corey made great reads and covered his man every time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Not sure on Skuta? WTF He had 2 sacks.

of course this the truth, not only that but he and some news guys we signed along with dixon and a couple others, will make our special ed teams,, special again
Originally posted by cciowa:
we do not run the ball to much.. it is what we do best. you got the best run game and run blocking line in the nfl you do need to run the ball, I think this is the type of team if you get down by two or three scores in the second half it will hard to get the ball and come back on. Please do not think we are going to start to sling it all over the field, we do not run the ball to much

We are hardly ever up by that much because we don't pass the ball often enough for us to go up by 3 scores. If we run the ball even more than we already do, we are t going to score very many points. I'm not disagreeing with you that our run game isn't the best, it is. I'm not suggesting we throw it 40 times a game, 30 pass attempts would be fine for how we operate.

Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Moody played very well.

One of the reason I think Moody has the upper hand for an ILB spot is because he is quick enough to cover guys and both our ILB's do a lot of covering. We seem to like guys like side line to side line quick guys who are in the 240 range over bigger bodied ILBs like a Brandon Spikes who is 10-15 pounds bigger but much slower. Anyways, Stupar struggled in coverage and I wouldn't want to see him against the quick RB's of this league. Wilhoite seemed to be faster than Stupar but Moody is probably faster than both. Wihloite I think will end up #3 and Moody #4.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by cciowa:
we do not run the ball to much.. it is what we do best. you got the best run game and run blocking line in the nfl you do need to run the ball, I think this is the type of team if you get down by two or three scores in the second half it will hard to get the ball and come back on. Please do not think we are going to start to sling it all over the field, we do not run the ball to much

We are hardly ever up by that much because we don't pass the ball often enough for us to go up by 3 scores. If we run the ball even more than we already do, we are t going to score very many points. I'm not disagreeing with you that our run game isn't the best, it is. I'm not suggesting we throw it 40 times a game, 30 pass attempts would be fine for how we operate.
i am sure that is what we do, and you then throw in the four headed monster of ck/gore, james and hunter,,, you got a very fine offense
From what I saw of the first string O and D, this year's rookie picks, a few of the free agents like Collie and Moore, Ian frikin Williams, and a few other past picks beginning to step up....

Dang this team is going to be absurd in a great way this year!

I still think Jenkins is going to surprise after it is all said and done as well. And I think Asomuga (its shorter to spell it that way lol) is going to make an impact over time as well.

That said, I'm giving 10 stars DOWN on the backup OL.

I suppose the reason is we can't afford talent everywhere and we're not going to get it right every time?
To be fair almost all of those 2nd and 3rd string lineman won't make the team and you hardly use more than 7-8 OL in a year anyways. We will probably keep 8, maybe 9 guys and 5 of them are on the starting line. Throw in Kilgore and Snyder and that 7 there. Leaves 1 or 2 left so probably Looney and possibly Wiggins? I think we will just move Boone to tackle if one goes down and then at RG Kilgore or Snyder would probably step in. Until we get a 3rd T that wont let us down we will unfortunately have to shuffle the line.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM ]
I am pretty sure that if your team has a studly 3rd string O'line you have big problems elsewhere. Nobody has that kind of depth. Still it would be nice if our swing tackle wasn't our starting guard. It's the one problem with the put your best on the field philosophy.
Share 49ersWebzone