LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I gotta give props to Parys Haralson. Nice comeback performance. He can add true veteran LB depth.

Cam Johnson was bleh.
IF johnson and jenkins continue to be bleh, there can be no more protecting of the front office for last years draft, I am hoping at least looney can make the team to go along with james in that draft
My full comprehensive player analysis: 1st Half

(player helped himself towards the 53); only for bubble players (not locks)

Offense:
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels - Colin looked terrific and decisive and found Boldin/Davis. CK still our main weapon on 3rd downs? Colt, INT, high hand off (almost lead to fumble x2; snap exchange); looks more like a #3 at the moment. Tolzien is still the #2 IMHO but struggled with the short touch pass and crossing route but by far, was the most decisive (experience); excellent out passes and intermediate drop-in sideline passes. Drove for score in 2-minute drill.
RB: LaMichael James, D.J. Harper, Jewel Hampton - James looked more decisive and had a couple nice runs esp. off-tackle which is big for us/Gore. Still does a lot of spinning; almost lost a fumble deep in our territory. Harper has no chance of making the team.
FB: Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon, Jason Scheplar - Bruce just rules (is everywhere/does everything!). Period. We NEED a pure FB to learn behind him; Dixon loss of yards and then decent gain on goal line run. Poor pass blocking from Dixon.
X: A.J. Jenkins, Marlon Moore, Kassim Osgood, Chuck Jacobs, Chad Hall - Moore, nice adjustment and hands on broken play. Osgood had a couple nice quick catches and used body well; fantastic catch on two-minute drill. AJ half effort on one (INT); looks explosive and then fumbles (his issue is between the ears/confidence). Hall is a scrappy, reliable WR.
Y (SLOT): Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie - nothing here in 1st half
Z: Anquan Boldin, Ricardo Lockette, Charly Martin, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie - Boldin looked dominant and was moved all over the field. Nothing from anyone else in the 1st half.
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray, Cameron Morrah - VD is the man (loved how they lined him up off the LOS on one side and ran him across the formation at the snap isolated on a MLB (no chance). McDonald had some nice edge-sealing blocks for James. Hands continue to be a consistent issue but his is a mismatch and when he catches, it's for big gains...carries defenders for extra yards. Nothing else beyond VD/McDonald.
LOT: Joe Staley, Adam Snyder, Carter Bykowski, Luke Marquardt - All tackles had issues sealing as many TFL today (interior as well). James did what he could.
ROT: Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder, Kenny Wiggins, Patrick Omameh - Davis another FS; burned by Miller. Great run blocking though as usual. Synder looked decent on sweeps. Patrick is gone.
LG: Mike Iupati, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney, Alex Boone - nothing to report on backups here in the 1st half
RG: Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Wayne Tribue - nothing to report on backups here in the 1st half
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney - Kilgore got the start and looked really good; good lanes up the gut for James; no issues with short and long (shotgun) snaps.

Defense:
RDE: Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Lawrence Okoye - Dobbs had nice holding the point, penetration and sticking his nose in there and played both end spots (1/2 sack from LDE). Tony has no chance to make the team.
LDE: Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu, Lawrence Okoye, (Quinton Dial) - Will has no chance to make this team but had some decent pressure as LDE.
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell - Ian great penetration all game long (1/2 sack); great motor and collapses the pocket (Brooks/Aldon will LOVE him)! Dorsey not holding the POC well at first; getting shoved back 5 yards (plays high); nice forced holding call on penetration. Divens looked good on double-team and stuffed a run by getting really ow and firing (RB hit a wall).
WILL: Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Cameron Johnson - Aldon excellent on sealing edge and brought some pressures as well. Haralson was active all game and played both spots; decent pressure/hits right after the throw; sealed edge well. Not much to see from Johnson tonight.
SAM: Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta - Brooks excellent on sealing edge. Skuta had two registered sacks here but also played well at middle LB and the WILL. Corey did a great job of sealing the edge and is going to get some snaps this year as a SAM on rush downs (dips down very low and forces a key incompletion x2 - long ass arms).
MIKE: Patrick Willis, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody - Wilhoite looked very encouraging; good assignments and penetration (1/2 a sack). Moody looked good and even pressure to force a sack.
TED: NaVorro Bowman, Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson, Dan Skuta - Bowman looked decent. Stupar behind and too short on a 3rd down conversion over him.
RCB: Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris Nnamdi looks ready and fired up to play; blanket coverage and form tackling and great read-react. Cox had a nice breakup (near INT).
LCB: Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper - Brock had blanket coverage on deep sideline throw.
SLOT: Carlos Rogers, Terell Brown, Daryl Morris - nothing to report on backups here in the 1st half
NICKLE: Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox - Cox was solid in his assignments
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas - Reid is ready to go; Spillman looked good in his assignments but only decent in coverage; he is fantastic at read-react in the box though (TFL). Sorry, Thomas, no chance.
SS: Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, Darcel McBath, Raymond "Bubba" Ventrone - Dahl had nice angles and form tackling (good read-react). Whitner played 1/2 speed, late in coverage (soft).

Special Teams:
Coverage: Decent (teams were there early/deep but missed tackles lead to good starting yards for Denver). Osgood, first gunner down and made play on kick from our EZ. Holy sh!t Daryl Morris is fast...first one down in PR followed by Wilhoite/Dixon.
PK: Phil Dawson - Missed a key FG and made 2 other FG's and kicks were deep in the EZ.
P/H: Andy Lee, Colton Schmidt - decent night for Lee.
LS: Brian Jennings, Kevin McDermott
PR: LaMichael James, Chad Hall, Perrish Cox - James looks much more decisive here. Hall had multiple fair catches and also looked very decisive, secure.
KOR: LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Perrish Cox - Dixon returning KO's? Another sign he is doing everything he can just to make the team (returned to the 24). Cox looked more "electric" and had a really nice gain to the 40 (34 yard return).

Coaching: Stalled in the RZ again but ran LOTS of Q-formations with 1 FB/RB or 2 RB's, etc. Shotguns. Loved how they used Boldin/VD. A 5-WR set (4 WR's and 1 RB) - shotgun, empty backfield? Wow! 1st down! Nice clock-eating drive for the initial FG. Too many TO's. 2nd string OL looked terrible.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/#IyiWCOV6Tkwy0S3j.99
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by Beezy33:
I think we're going to run the ball a ton to start the season because of the WR situation, and mix in PA passes. Kap is going to make any of our WRs look good, but I feel the bulk of the receptions are going to Boldin/VD/KW weeks 1-3 or 4 until we find our breakout guy or until MM comes back healthy. Jenkins is getting plenty of opps and just isn't making the best of them.

Just hope we survive the 1st 4-5 weeks above .500, which is pretty doable.

We already run the ball too much. We have a qb who elevates the receiver play, so I don't think we will run it any more than usual. It would be absurd to run the ball 70% of the time. If anything just stay balanced, no need to rely heavily on the run.

Agree on this, just feel that until the WR corps gets itself sorted out and improves, which I don't feel will be resolved in the pre-season, we'll eat clock with more conservative play-calling with runs (maybe 60/40?) and grind out wins, unless we fall behind and have to throw more. I have no doubts that we can be a quick striking O when the time is right, but IMO Weeks 1 or 2 won't be it unless KW/MM are fully ready to go. Too many questions at WR to put the team at risk of starting the season 0-2.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Unfortunately Tolzien has smashed against his incredibly low ceiling.

I like Tolzien, but I have to agree that Tolzien showed his limitations in yesterday's game.
Boobie Dixon: winner.

And Tolzein - not too bad
Originally posted by NCommand:
KOR: LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Perrish Cox - Dixon returning KO's? Another sign he is doing everything he can just to make the team (returned to the 24).

I am going to read through your post but first this popped out. Dixon is back there with the kickoff returners (like 5-8ish yards ahead of them) as the lead blocker and the 1st kickoff was short so he took it. I agree though Dixon looks to be a lock right now. ST guy, short yardage RB, backup fb, cheerleader, locker room guy... wish he would have ran like he is now a few years back. He's stopped the dancing and has done well in short yardage.

Edit: As for Hall I thought he had room on at least one of those fair catches but I will say if he makes the team and is back there he seems pretty sure handed back there. Not someone who is going to flinch.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM ]
Lemonier
My full comprehensive player analysis: 2nd Half

(player helped himself towards the 53); only for bubble players (not locks)

Offense:
QB: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy - Colt injured throwing shoulder. INT for Tolzien; saw him motion to #1 (Chuck Jacobs) to go further outside; good throw-away later. Good deep corner route passes all game long (even under pressure). Accuracy hit-miss some. What a rocket on 4th down with 2:30 left in the game; epic fail on the 2nd attempt.
RB: D.J. Harper, Anthony Dixon - Dixon just not much of a "pure" runner still (will have one good run followed by one poor). His absolute best run was called back x2; good hands this game.
FB: Jason Scheplar - Jason caused a motion penalty right out of the gate; pancake block on the next play (big run by Dixon). Could make a real a play with a few more games.
X: Chuck Jacobs, Chad Hall - Nice catch by Chuck from Tolzien but stay on your feet; very quick feet on the WR screen catch.
Y (SLOT): A.J. Jenkins, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie - nothing to report here.
Z: Ricardo Lockette, Charly Martin, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie - nice out route (got P.I.), slant route (got P.I.). Hawkins drop on 3rd down in the RZ and in final 2 minute drill (tough catches). Collie caught one pass for 8 yards and then a clutch catch on 4th under 2:30 left.
TE: Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek - Celek, very nice seal-block on Dixon edge run. McDonald, great 17 yard catch from Tolzien for 1st down (man, he is physical at the jam). Excellent block on WR screen out in space; dropped pass. Great routes...to either catch or set up others. The dude is a stud.
LOT: Carter Bykowski - Carter with a holding penalty on big Dixon run. Our backup T's stink.
ROT: Kenny Wiggins, Patrick Omameh - Patrick getting mauled in run blocking.
LG: Al Netter - meh
RG: Wayne Tribue - meh
C: Joe Looney - bummer penalty on the big run by Dixon; thought it was clean (he's a huge C!).

Defense:
RDE: Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie - Dobbs playing all along the DE but constant push and penetration (lead to sacks by others) - Tony with very nice penetration on 4th down.
LDE: Will Tukuafu - decent 2nd half
NT: Glenn Dorsey, Lamar Divens - Better 2nd half for Dorsey; had nice TFL with penetration from Haralson. Divens great penetration forcing RB to left; tackles; pushed back on 4th down run by 2 guys but got back to marker.
WILL: Parys Haralson, Cameron Johnson - Johnson got sealed off easily on big run and then followed run and didn't follow the QB outside for big pass play. Good pressure on one play from the SAM (learned from earlier mistake); great TFL.
SAM: Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta - From the SAM, Haralson got a sack; excellent penetration all game long. Corey, more great holding the POC and staying disciplined on the edge in run support. Got pinched inside once for a big run outside. Dan, two back-to-back missed tackles at the WILL on runs but then got a big sack on 3rd down.
MIKE: Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody - Wilhoite great TFL with nice penetration from Haralson (WILL); he was in on tons of plays! Got burned in coverage on 3rd down though deep in Denver territory but made key tackle on 3rd down stop in the RZ. Moody played well down hill as well (got caught inside on a big run though - injured left knee on the play).
TED: Nathan Stupar - Stupar is sub-par but very nice penetration on 4th down.
RCB: Perrish Cox - Cox, nice quick tackle on loss-of-yards reception and breakup on 2nd down in RZ.
LCB: Marcus Cooper - Cooper looked disciplined, nice assist on 3rd down stop in RZ.
SLOT: Daryl Morris - nothing to report here
NICKLE: Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox - nothing to report here
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas - Love this. Reid comes up to light a WR who dropped the ball and has the presence of mind to hold up and not draw a 15-yard PF call. Very non-Goldson-like! Missed tackle on long run. Robinson = OK today. Michael is gone (picked and late lead to big 3rd down play); nice tackle on one play.
SS: Craig Dahl, Raymond "Bubba" Ventrone - Bubba pulled hamstringl meh 2nd half for Dahl

Special Teams:
Coverage: Osgood (and Lockette), first gunners down and made tackle at the 5! Holy sh!t Lockette...IS a rocket (Dahl was 10 yards behind him). Almost a safety! LOL. Morris, again, awesome speed and first one dow on the KO but didn't wrap up and lead to a long return.
PK: Phil Dawson - made his FG
P/H: Andy Lee, Colton Schmidt - Nice tackle Colton.
LS: Brian Jennings, Kevin McDermott - not sure on this one
PR: LaMichael James, Chad Hall, Perrish Cox - Cox, fair catch. Have a seat James, Cox is just more explosive back there.
KOR: LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Perrish Cox, BJ Daniels - BJ with fair catch.

Coaching: 6 points at home?

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/#IyiWCOV6Tkwy0S3j.99
Nice summary, Command. I will go with outstanding plays by outstanding players....and other thots

Chad Hall: Small but the guy can catch and move.
Vance: agree with your summation, but he had a 2nd catch for 20 yds too (but you knew that). The guy is phenomenal.
AJ : seemed to get good separation, and for the record, after watching his "catch and fumble", I don't believe he caught that ball and then made a football move. Neither catch nor fumble happened. Based on the DBs position and play, I would rate that pass virtually uncatchable.
2nd & 3rd string OL were awful on pass protection (they just have a lot to learn about cross buck blitzes, 3 man blitzes, jailbreak blitzes, etc. ) On run blocking they looked super making LMJ and AD look like all pros.
PK: Ouch, that was an easy one . He did make two others tho.
Lemonier: total stud. And that sucker is fast as well as strong.
Lockette: is a rocket, esp on that goal line tackle on punt.
Kap: looked like midseason form. Wow!
backup qBs: awful based on OL which tanked. They did pretty well since they were under fire the moment the ball was snapped.
Anquan: looks midseason form, and better than Crabs, no joke. Wait til crabs comes back. whoa.
Starting OL: Looked to be in midseason form.
STRONG CORNERS: Reid can tackle. Nmamdi had a nice tackle. We got a couple guys in camp who are gonna make team as DBs. They showed well.
Coaching: looked like Coach H called plays and never a problem with getting them in on time.
Cox: Wow. That guy is gonna start as one of our 4 STRONG CORNERS.
Overall impression: Very positive, and liked the young guys who got a chance.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Lemonier

He fast

Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Lemonier

He fast

He's got that same frame of Aldon Smith. Before he got winded after being on the field on Denver's long drive, he was off the LOS in a heartbeat. He really impressed me.
Where was Quinton Patton? Sorry I've been out of the loop
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Kaep broke his finger in TC so he can't catch - didn't feature
Originally posted by Buchy:

Kaep broke his finger in TC so he can't catch - didn't feature

Darn injury bug is killing us I was really excited to watch him

Nursing a hurt finger. Running routes in training camp, but not allowed to catch a pass.
Share 49ersWebzone