LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Trent-Jim relationship issues? (pure conjecture...reading the tea leaves)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
the epic fail of the 2012 draft still haunts us

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/11/16/why-are-the-49ers-still-searching-for-play-makers-look-to-the-49ers-no-impact-2012-draft-class/
Lattimore is the chosen one
Originally posted by susweel:
the epic fail of the 2012 draft still haunts us

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/11/16/why-are-the-49ers-still-searching-for-play-makers-look-to-the-49ers-no-impact-2012-draft-class/

Yup. It was a fail of epic proportions. I can't believe he misfired that badly.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Its the scouting departments fault. Its the receivers coach fault. Its the receivers fault. Its Kapernicks fault. Its Romans fault. Wait its Crabtrees fault for getting hurt. To make a long story short. If Crabtree wouldn't have gotten hurt I bet this BS thread wouldn't exist.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
You nailed it.

From 2011 till now, Baalke's offensive picks have been a complete debacle and is coming back to bite us in our rear end while some other teams' picks have come into effect and is starting to pay off :

• AJ Jenkins was a disastrous pick. My WR pick was Rueben Randall and he is balling for the Giants right now
  • LMJ was another bad pick, too small, not explosive and easy to bring down when most teams are going for power backs that can really pound the ball.
  • Kap was one of those make-or-break type pick. I might not have totally given up on him just yet, but there is no question he is totally out of his elements right now trying to play pro-football. You have to give Pete Carroll props for going after Russell Wilson in the 3rd round and is paying off big time for them

Aside from the draft, you also have to look at his free agent moves. As it turns out, letting Delanie walk was a huge error in judgement. Vance McDonald has not replaced Delanie and is not helping Kap's slump. And what free agents have we signed who have been a difference maker ? Zilch, none whatsoever. This is compounded by other teams making the right moves. Once again, just look at the Seahawks, they are now 10-1 !! And guess what ? They pretty much did it with a depleted O-line and without Percy Harvin. Harvin finally played his first game last Sunday, boy if that was what he is like being rusty then wait till he gets hot after another couple of games.

So, enough said, our personnel are just not good enough right now. The problem is it will take time to get it right and more importantly we don't have the right people in the front office nor the coaching staff to get the job done. If the 9ers carry on with Baalke and Harbaugh, what changes are they really capable of making ? Baalke did admit to his mistake by trading Jenkins away, but what else can or will he do to help us make better personnel decisions ? What about the scouting department ? Can we really evaluate players properly ? And what about Harbaugh in his input on personnel ? What about the lousy job that John Morton has been doing ? Will he fire him ? And what about Roman ? I believe there needs to be sizeable changes in order to make better decisions to turn around the 9ers. If not, as someone else has posted we will simply spiral downwards as other teams are coming up to take the prime spots.
u cant say we havent signed any FAs dude. dorsey was a steal on defense, boldin is a damn good receiver but he needs help. baalke didnt plan on the whole receiving corps getting injured at once. i do think they got a little cute with this last draft taking all the injured players they did but we will probably love him for doing that when tank, lattimore and dial become permanent starters. i think baalke couldve played the last draft better and he has made some mistakes but 80% of the time hes made great decisions. they couldnt afford to keep delanie walker. paying two TEs starter money doesnt make sense when we have so many other guys who need to be signed soon like crabs, iupati, kap, aldon and so on
"If the 9ers carry on with Baalke and Harbaugh, what changes are they really capable of making ? "

I don't think anyone whose initials are not JT thinks the 9ers are carrying on without Baalke and Harbaugh. And, as you have forgotten, Harbaugh has made significant changes in his time including the much criticised and much praised change to his starting qb. Probably the most major change a coach can make nowadays.

And Baalke has already demonstrated his willingness to put right mistakes.

So the point you are trying to make is unclear.
Oh yeah, it's all Baalke's fault. Why the fucc did he hired Harbaugh for?? We was good with Singletary and co. Fucc making it to the SB, better yet winning the NFC title and NFC WEST 2 times in a row. We was fine with not making the playoffs in almost a decade. Fucc you Baalke, its all your fault, its all your fault..
i dont get the critique at all...cant imagine that baalke picks the players without asking the coaching staff.

like many posters have already said: at the end of the day, the Coaches are responsible for the outcome of every single player. the GM is responsible for the Evaluation and the acquiring.
that means, some of our coaches simply suck.

furthermore, it is very difficult to manage severe injuries of both of your starting receivers.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
He has done nothing to shore up this offense through the draft since he became GM, especially at the wide receiver position where he has failed miserably. We are one injury away from completely losing our running game because the front office has failed to draft our future back in the last three years...Who is AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, and now Kap etc...The list goes on and on. Go look at the offensive playmaker personnel drafted since 2011..Name one offensive playmaker that has been drafted since 2011 that has made a significant impact on offense...

Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Gore are all pre-Balke...There is a bigger problem here people and it reaks from the GM office...We had 14 picks last year? 2012 was a joke...This isn;t a draft war room thread..This thead is made to point a finger at the GM who has made complete shambles of the offense.

My opinion is different in this matter, I think this year is a set of unfortunate situations, as we have suffered so many injuries. I think Quinton Patton could become that fast WR that will be the person that will consistently catch the ball in the quick slants and take care the short to mid range routes, which is what this team really needs at the moment because of bad pass protection. Crabtree was the balanced WR that we also sorely missed this year that had great hands and could take the mid to deep range routes that has forced the team to only go to Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin. I know we are one of the good to middle tiered teams this year, but with all of the injuries and everything that has happened, I don't think replacing Kaep at the moment is the right decision at the moment, I would truly give him one more year, just to see if its an injury situation or if its a qb issue. And even at that level, it still might not be his issue as it could be an Offensive Coordinator issue. As bad as Kaep is playing right now, I think these experiences will make him better, as he is having to deal with extraordinary circumstances. I think also a contributing factor is that the interior of the offensive line has been a little beat up, Gore falling onto Iupati's leg, that was something that aggravated Iupati's injury, and because of that injury that he was playing with throughout this year, the pass protection has not been the best on the inside. I think Jonathan Goodwin may be getting to a point where he is not as effective as he was when he was younger, and that may be an area in this upcoming draft that the 9ers might want to think about addressing also. I look at the offensive line as a delicate science, if someone is consistently missing their blocks, it effects the other positions also, because they are trying to compensate for the lack of performance.

For the argument that it is an offensive coordinator issue, watching that game and the running play selection, I noticed that we were running alot of wide sweeping plays that were more East/West instead of running North and right up the gut on them. My experience with this type of scheme is that it makes it alot easier for defenses to adjust to, because they can see the play forming and be at the point to make the tackle for a loss or no gain. In the North style running, you have the two, three, or four gaps (interior of the offensive line) to choose from and normally defenses will only be able to see that play happening only at a split moment prior it happening. I think this is something that should have been stressed alot more in that game, which instead of not gaining anything on first down, a three yard gain would be huge. We activated Carrier from that practice squad, I don't think another tight end is what this team needs right now, perhaps a better direction would be to try to get the ball to McDonald more in the short passing game. And coming in cold from the practice squad, not the best situation as he was called for a crucial penalty. Argument that this team has an injury problem in the interior of the offensive line, could also be the reason why our sweeps were wider more east/west in that game is because the coaching staff were trying to hide that situation in the interior of the offensive line. And the one thing that will effect any team, no matter who is on the team is injury, which is a perspective in the way that I interpret this teams state.

In next year's draft, I know this is not a draft forum, but I think the 4 needs that will need to be addressed is Fast game changer WR, Run Stopping DT, Center, and CB. In my opinion, so difficult to interpret the 49ers this year, with the injury bug hitting us extremely hard, I mean two years ago we were in the NFC title game with a relatively healthy roster, last year we made it to the superbowl again with a relatively healthy team (aside from Justin Smith), this year the interior of the offensive line is not healthy, our WRs have been injured, Aldon Smith experienced off field issues, Patrick Willis missed a couple of games, its really difficult I feel and I think with those situations in mind, I would give the coaching staff one more year, at least to rectify this situation. But in the overall picture, I think this team has overcome alot and should be commended.

Originally posted by kem99:
LOL...I love it when someone with a knee jerk reaction wants someone fired or cut with absolutely no idea or plan for replacing the person he or she wants to get rid of. Sure, fire Baalke and replace him with exactly who???? While you are struggling to come up with a legitimate name, I'm pretty sure Baalke's phone would be ringing to be interviewed by other teams before he could even leave the parking lot after being fired.

This is why its so hard to return to the Super Bowl in the NFL. Last time I checked, the Ravens were having similar problems as well. Should they fire Ozzie Newsome too?

The truth is that the 49ers have lost to the Seahawks, Colts, Panthers and Saints, who are a combined 31-10 pending tonight's MNF game. The last 2 games against the Panthers and Saints were by 1 point and 3 points that came down to the last minute or last play of each game.

They're 6-4, not 4-6 or 2-8 with it likely that they will be favored in at least 5 of the remaining 6 games. If they go 5-1 over the next 6 games, they'll be 11-5 and get in as a Wild Card, hopefully be relatively healthy with Crabtree and Carradine active and contributing and on a roll trying to emulate the Giants and Ravens of the last couple of years. I'm fairly certain that no NFC playoff team will be looking forward to having to face the 49ers in the playoffs.

Even the teams during the 49ers run through the 80's to mid 90's had seasons like this. There were seasons where they won 10 games and made the playoffs. There was one season they won 10 and were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season and didn't qualify for the playoffs. The 1988 SB Champion team was 4-6 after 10 games and coming off a stunning hail-mary loss before winning their last 6 regular season games and ultimately the SB.

The bottom line is this...even if I, for argument's sake, grant you everything you say about Baalke as being 100% true, the 49ers "low" point is coming off a last play of the game loss at New Orleans where the Saints have been blowing everyone else out when Sean Payton has been there without their best WR, Aldon Smith still play limited snaps and Kaep struggling. Despite all of that, the roster and coaching staff managed to come within a very disputed call of beating the Saints in New Orleans. And, lets not forget, how he has the 49ers set up for next year's draft as well while also keeping the 49ers in a good salary cap position.

Do the 49ers need to play better? Of course. Can they play better? Yes. Will they make the playoffs? Probably, but its the NFL and sometimes its just one of those years even if you have one of the most talented rosters in the league. Whether they do or not has a lot more to do with whether Kaep starts playing like he did last year than micro-analyzing every draft pick and FA signing in a vacuum with absolutely no alternative plan of merit. Baalke's among the best GM's in the NFL and the 49ers will continue to contend year in and year out with him as the GM and Harbaugh as the coach.

Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd really like to know how receiver was a number 2 need at the time of the draft with a healthy Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin as your starters. Please enlighten me.

You talk about starters...Maybe because these guys won't be with the niner's too long and i think having some young WRs on the roster would add depth to this roster..You tell me Mr. Lifelong besides crabtree and boldin, who you had behind them...Kyle WIlliams? Aj Jenkins Yeah that worked out well..

So you would've preferred to have drafted a receiver high that would've never saw the field? We had Crabtree and Boldin at the time as starters, who I'd take over any combo in the league outside of the elite guys like AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, etc. Behind him we had AJ Jenkins, which the board was about 50/50 on. We had Kyle Williams who I don't think anyone had an issue with being the number 4 receivers I'm not sure if we had Marlon Moore signed at the time, but we had 2 clear starters, along with other guys who were going to battle it out for the number 3 position, not to mention Mario Manningham whom we knew would be back in midseason. Does us no good to criticize Baalke looking back. Everyone is a genius when using hindsight. We also drafted Quinton Patton who just about everyone was high on.

My original post said how was receiver a number 2 need at the time of the draft. We drafted a FS (clear need) and a DE with our first two picks. Now one could argue we shouldn't have drafted a guy we didn't have plans to play this season, but I don't think it can be argued that we clearly needed some depth on our D-line. Never did I say we shouldn't draft young receivers. Big difference between a need (which receiver was and I think Baalke did enough so that our passing offense shouldn't be ranked dead last in the league) and a number 1 or 2 need which is where we were at FS and DE.

Now the 2014 draft is a completely different story .
ding ding we have a winner

all these picks from this past draft and only one rookie is helping us? c'mon. plus 2011 draft was as bad draft as anyone could have. i don't think donahue even had a bad draft like that.
we have more than enough talent on offense to crush opponents whether we want to admit it or not.
we don't even use the pieces we have properly
and that is a coaching issue.,
until we utilize people to their strengths and they still can't produce then we can talk about baalke being the problem.

vic uses the people to their strengths

roman does not.

he successfully turned an up and coming qb who was dynamic and showed everything you needed to see to believe he could lead a team to a championship

into a shell of his former self

we just saw this with cam newton

1st year lit it up
2nd year coaches restricted him he struggled
this year light bulb maybe we should let cam be cam..
see results.
Originally posted by KD49ers:
ding ding we have a winner

all these picks from this past draft and only one rookie is helping us? c'mon. plus 2011 draft was as bad draft as anyone could have. i don't think donahue even had a bad draft like that.

2011 was a fabulous draft
Share 49ersWebzone