LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Trent-Jim relationship issues? (pure conjecture...reading the tea leaves)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He did GREAT with Vance...just give him a shot. I agree, Trent has done a great job..also liked the harbaugh hire...a lot. My guess is LMJ will do well once given a shot. Additionally like the trade of AJ for Baldwin, again, who needs a shot to show us what he can do.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Baalke has been excellent I will never pile on him he's got this roster stacked. we just need to use the talent he's assembled.

THAT BEING SAID

we should have drafted Jeffrey and not Jenkins
captain hindsight has finally arrived.
aj jenkins is a different Type of player, isnt comparable to alshon, imho.

I still believe in Baalke and think it is hard to get picky about what he has accomplished. It wasn't too long ago we welcomed Kentwan Balmer, Kwame Harris, David Baas, Mike Rumph, Rashaun Woods, and many others. He hit big with Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Bruce Miller, Navarro Bowman, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Eric Reid, Alex Boone, and some others. Too early to tell with this years class, except for Reid, but Lemoneir looks good and their is promise with Carradine, Dial, Patton, and Lattimore. I was hoping for Keenan Allen instead of the Vance McDonald pick, but that is just getting greedy. He wanted another tight end that can be shifted around the offense, ala Delanie Walker, and our offense was pretty potent last year with the two tight end sets.

Recap: 4 drafts, 4 Pro Bowlers, NFC Conference Champion QB, future Pro Bowl fullback, and free safety. I would say that is not bad. Also, only nine players currently on the roster from the previous six drafts.

Watch how well McDonald blocks. The guy is learning so much. You can't avoid throwing to him in games and then expect him to be amazing and catch everything. Man it's not like Vernon didn't have to learn how to catch and run routes.

I agree. I meant to add that I am not against the Vance pick because I do think there is a lot of promise there. I just remember the draft and hoping that Keenan Allen would fall to us and did, but was passed. He looks legit in San Diego. He probably would have had a tough time with the Niners, but you never know. I do think Vance will do great and when it clicks for him, I think people will remember what our offense did last year with a potent two tight end set that they ran out of and passed out of. Delanie was a big piece of this offense last year and he is tough to replace.
Baalke had a great draft in 2011, a bad one in 2012, and 2013 is still a question mark. For now based on track record he is average when it comes to picking players, and pretty good in managing the team roster. He and Harbaugh will still have a tough task ahead in maintaining the team's excellence.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
He has done nothing to shore up this offense through the draft since he became GM, especially at the wide receiver position where he has failed miserably. We are one injury away from completely losing our running game because the front office has failed to draft our future back in the last three years...Who is AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, and now Kap etc...The list goes on and on. Go look at the offensive playmaker personnel drafted since 2011..Name one offensive playmaker that has been drafted since 2011 that has made a significant impact on offense...

Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Gore are all pre-Balke...There is a bigger problem here people and it reaks from the GM office...We had 14 picks last year? 2012 was a joke...This isn;t a draft war room thread..This thead is made to point a finger at the GM who has made complete shambles of the offense.

K there chicken little....
2012 was an epic failure, 2013 was a little better in comparison, but still not worthy of praise considering the amount of picks we had
the 2012 draft was a pretty s**tty draft for just about every team. The Seacawks nailed their first three picks, and there were some great individual players taken, but its hard to look at any teams' draft class that year and go, "Wow! what a draft!"

Baalke has been one of the best GM's in the league since given the job. It's a position for riverboat gamblers and he's winning more hands than he's losing.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Baalke had a great draft in 2011, a bad one in 2012, and 2013 is still a question mark. For now based on track record he is average when it comes to picking players, and pretty good in managing the team roster. He and Harbaugh will still have a tough task ahead in maintaining the team's excellence.

You forget about 2010. Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navarro Bowman, and Dixon in the 6th round. Also, signed Ahmad Brooks that year. Make that two solid drafts, one questionable one, and one to be determined but shows promise with Reid and Lemonier. My prognosis: well above average in the draft.

Side Note on 2012: LMJ still shows promise and Joe Looney does as well.

Once we factor in the Free Agent signings and the trades (6th rounder for Boldin), I give him an A grade
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM ]
I don't think there is an NFL team that gets so little out of the last 2 drafts as the 49ers. And Don't give me the excuse "Oh theyre young and ont understand the playbook" Well if they would be playing, they could and would LEARN and get better. Outside of Reid, this has been another lackluster DRAFT, I know next is next year and hopefully these players will get better somehow but it still hurts to see a good team like the 49ers get so little production from the 12' & 13' Drafts!!!!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I don't think there is an NFL team that gets so little out of the last 2 drafts as the 49ers. And Don't give me the excuse "Oh theyre young and ont understand the playbook" Well if they would be playing, they could and would LEARN and get better. Outside of Reid, this has been another lackluster DRAFT, I know next is next year and hopefully these players will get better somehow but it still hurts to see a good team like the 49ers get so little production from the 12' & 13' Drafts!!!!

Quick Judgement on the draft:

Eric Reid: Awesome
Tank Carradine: just put on IR
Vance McDonald: showing promise
Corey Lemonier: Looks like great value and has played well
Quinton Patton: Hurt
Marcus Lattimore: wasnt going to play any way
Quinton Dial: Just got healthy, but the DLine is playing great right now
Marcus Cooper: No room on the roster but is starting for the soon to be Playoff bound Chiefs

If all of these guys were playing significantly this year, we would be having some more serious discussions about the lack of depth and talent on this team. We are not the Jags who need all of their rookies to play. I think this looks to be a good draft just with Reid, Vance, and Lemonier as the only ones getting playing time. Carradine and Lattimore get a pass because the Niners have that luxury. Patton showed promise before getting hurt, but now the WR corps has Crabs, Boldin, and Manningham.

Just saying it is too early to jump on this as an unproductive class even though I strongly disagree.

Vance MacDonald Showing PROMISE??? What games are you watching??? He hasn't made a catch in 3 games??? And we have the 31st ranked passing game. Patton even before he got hurt couldn't beat out KW for snaps??? Lemon was a good pick that I like, I like the Reid pick as well. The rest are worthless this season. Just sayin
I am so glad most of you are not the GM. Most on here are only considering the draft but there is so much more like trades for picks (Alex, Cam, Parys) trades for players Boldin. Unsigned FA, Williams,Dobbs,TJE,Morris. Under the radar vets, Ventrone,Skuta, Dawson, Osgood, Dorsey,Snyder, Whilhote, the fact that again we have more draft day flexability than any other team this year. Signing players before they get the big deals or retaining others at fair market value.Brock, Brooks, Cowboy, Bowman, Willis. Also not afraid to let players walk Goldson, soon Carlos. This is a very stacked roster. If they don't preform start looking at the position coach then the rest of the staff.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Vance MacDonald Showing PROMISE??? What games are you watching??? He hasn't made a catch in 3 games??? And we have the 31st ranked passing game. Patton even before he got hurt couldn't beat out KW for snaps??? Lemon was a good pick that I like, I like the Reid pick as well. The rest are worthless this season. Just sayin

Vance has been getting better in blocking. Davis struggled his first few years and so did Delanie. Your assessment is very premature. I just believe that Vance is getting better, specifically with his blocking. Plus, how many rookies actually make huge impacts for a defending Conference champion. Patton looked good before the injury and now is stuck behind veterans. Plus, he is a 4th round pick. Hard to supplant a veteran when you are a 4th rounder. The fact that we have a starter from this draft should validate it since going into this year, the Niners had one of the deepest rosters. Also, that one starter goes in and the Secondary is drastically better than last years. Good call on not extending Goldson.

I don't buy into the ranking on the passing game because the Niners throw the ball the less than most teams, but they do rank high in yards per attempt. Kaep ranks 20th in attempts per game, but ranks 9th in yards per attempt. Not great, but not that bad considering the weapons he had for most of the year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The "real problem" was the fans attending games, but ever since the letter the organisation sent out, all is fixed now
I have been tough at times in my criticism of Baalke, but we still need to give the man a bit of time before we declare all of these offensive players to be....offensive.

I had in my draft this year Justin Hunter, who really has shown some signs toward the back end of the season. I like his long term potential, and think we need even more young blood at the WR position. Let's face it...Boldin is near the end of his career, Manningham is getting long in the tooth and suffered that brutal injury, and we still do not have that guy with deep speed to stretch the defense.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone