LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 370 users in the forums

Mangini's Mess

Shop Find 49ers gear online
while this garbage talk of mangini as next coach is just that...garbage...there are 2 instances i've noticed in jim harbaugh press conferences which caught my eye

these 2 instances could speak to some sort of rift/power struggle within the 9ers org between him and baalke. i've never heard harbaugh EVER contradict baalke or state something as this

1) eric wright trade..harbaugh said u have to ask baalke about that (as if he wasn't involved in it)..why even give this impression to the media

2) coming out to the media and saying terrell brown needs to be taken care of...(again another rub against baalke's domain) i saw zero upside to harbaugh saying this to the media, he could've just said it to terrell brown himself

those 2 made it very curious.

hope its not something that pesters and ruins our chemistry/vibe in bldg
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by susweel:
word on the street that Trent and Jim are having a power struggle and Trent brought in Mangini to take over when Jim leaves.

hey dont shoot the messenger just something I heard from my sources deep within the organization.

Adam Schlefter strikes again!!!

Lol
Originally posted by iLL49er:
while this garbage talk of mangini as next coach is just that...garbage...there are 2 instances i've noticed in jim harbaugh press conferences which caught my eye

these 2 instances could speak to some sort of rift/power struggle within the 9ers org between him and baalke. i've never heard harbaugh EVER contradict baalke or state something as this

1) eric wright trade..harbaugh said u have to ask baalke about that (as if he wasn't involved in it)..why even give this impression to the media

2) coming out to the media and saying terrell brown needs to be taken care of...(again another rub against baalke's domain) i saw zero upside to harbaugh saying this to the media, he could've just said it to terrell brown himself

those 2 made it very curious.

hope its not something that pesters and ruins our chemistry/vibe in bldg

Originally posted by xtm059:

This.. If I didn't look at poster I would have thought it was from SanDiego.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
any gm that admires mangini as a leader of men is a gm who learned his craft from how-to books.
top coaches and gm's need charisma and "it" factor. mangini lacks both; and an admiring gm would lack both, also.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
As a veteran player gets on in age, he loses his patience for rah-rah rituals that he knows are worthless. Grown men with refined football skills do not need to be goaded and harangued. Football is brutal enough without someone yelling at you. And if you make it to the NFL, you're a self-starter. It isn't high school. You aren't dealing with children. Nobody told that to Mangina.

Holy crap, I want this tool off this team now.
I think Mangini is mostly consulting the offense on what defenses will do to stop us and pointing out the weaknesses of our plays. I doubt Harbaugh being a former player himself would let mangini ruin his locker room
Originally posted by valrod33:
Your story checks out

Lmao! Nice.
Originally posted by always49ers:
Good read. Former 49er.

http://m.clevescene.com/cleveland/manginis-mess-sent-to-save-the-cleveland-browns-eric-mangini-instead-put-on-a-clinic-on-how-to-drive-a-teams-morale-into-the-ground/Content?oid=3625467

If even half of this is true, I don't want that douchebag piece of garbage within 20 miles of team headquarters, let alone walking around the building barfing out his b******t.

Hopefully, Harbaugh has him on a leash.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
First off, that is a great read, and thank you for posting it.

Second, WHAT THE HELL? Man, some of that s**t is just wayyyyy out there:

"The night before the game, I check in to the hotel and go down to the meal room. Again, the food is amazing. I am blown away by it. There are artisan chefs stationed around the room creating made-to- order delicacies: everything you can imagine. Pastas, Mexican food, omelets, salads, a variety of roasts, meats, grains, fruits, breads, cookies and pies. It makes Denver's food selection look like the HealthSouth cafeteria. After dinner is our team meeting. And here comes Mangini again, same smarmy look on his face, same paranoia in the crowd. Only now I'm among them. I have notes scattered around my lap, too. My heart is racing. Please don't call on me please don't call on me. He calls on a few guys and has them stand and answer more arbitrary questions about the Titans' defensive tendencies and historical success running certain coverages and substitution packages and, holy s**t! It's embarrassing. I breathe a sigh of relief when he concludes the question-and- answer portion of the show and moves on.

Then he motions to a young man in army fatigues standing in the corner of the room and introduces him as an Iraqi war veteran. Coach wants him to say a few words to us. The football-as- war metaphor is an old motivational tactic. I have heard it evoked many times in my life. But not like this.

The vet tells us his story. He lost three friends and both of his legs in a roadside bomb attack the previous year. You can hear a pin drop. He's an impressive man, an impressive kid, really. But like me, he seems confused as to why he is here, addressing a room full of professional football players the night before a preseason game. It soon becomes apparent why he was brought here. Mangini starts peppering him with leading questions intended to strengthen the validity of his own mantras, trying to draw an honest parallel between the bomb that killed his friends and the following evening's preseason game against the Tennessee Titans. The soldier sees what Mangini is doing and steers away from it, choosing instead to speak candidly about what he had learned, not what Mangini had hoped he learned.

After a few cringeworthy questions from the audience, class is dismissed. I make a beeline to my room, where I lock myself behind the double bolt and scribble furiously in my notebook. This is some outlandish s**t. And I don't want to forget it."

This is almost too sickening to even comprehend.

Hopefully we have him locked in a room somewhere; near a bathroom, so people can run to it and puke if need be.

I'm not concerned with Mangini. There have been stories about how he alienates the locker room, but it won't matter here. Harbaugh is in complete control.

It also appears that Mangini's interaction is primarily with the coaches. He consults with them, the coaches take his expertise into account when forming their gameplans, and they coach the players.

I don't see Mangini having close contact with the players. That's what the coordinators and positional coaches are for.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm not concerned with Mangini. There have been stories about how he alienates the locker room, but it won't matter here. Harbaugh is in complete control.

It also appears that Mangini's interaction is primarily with the coaches. He consults with them, the coaches take his expertise into account when forming their gameplans, and they coach the players.

I don't see Mangini having close contact with the players. That's what the coordinators and positional coaches are for.

You mean this expertise?

"Football is like a WAR!" "And in war it's kill or be killed."
"I once brought a young man in to inspire my team, before a huge preseason game. His friends were killed by a bomb in Iraq. I told him we would win the game for him and his friends. He left the room, and I told my team if we don't follow through with our commitment, with our promise to him, his friends would have died in vain."
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You mean this expertise?

"I once brought a young man in to inspire my team, before a huge preseason game. His friends were killed by a bomb in Iraq. I told him we would win the game for him and his friends. He left the room, and I told my team if we don't follow through with our commitment, with our promise to him, his friends would have died in vain."

I'm just talking about what he brings to the table from an X's and O's standpoint. His leadership and motivational skills are obviously lacking. And that story about manipulating a war vet into equating football with what he had experienced in Iraq is sickening. Mangini will just stick with gameplan strategy, and leave player management up to Harbaugh and his staff.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You mean this expertise?

I'm just talking about what he brings to the table from an X's and O's standpoint. His leadership and motivational skills are obviously lacking. And that story about manipulating a war vet into equating football with what he had experienced in Iraq is sickening. Mangini will just stick with gameplan strategy, and leave player management up to Harbaugh and his staff.

I understand what you're saying, and I am not disagreeing with the logic, but this goes WAY beyond "motivational skills".

It's like if Charles Manson was a football genius, and we consulted with him to help our team. NO THANKS. I don't want a person of that CALIBER around the building at all.
Originally posted by xcfan:
any gm that admires mangini as a leader of men is a gm who learned his craft from how-to books.
top coaches and gm's need charisma and "it" factor. mangini lacks both; and an admiring gm would lack both, also.

In a nutshell.
Share 49ersWebzone