LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Joe Looney?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
^^^ Many thanks to NCommand for the detailed breakdown of what a lot of fans around here are calling a horrible performance by Joe Looney.

Perception bias running absolutely rampant as usual.

Happy to help. I really wanted to see how he did myself anyhow.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by DeUh:
A few quotes from his teammates after the St.Louis game

Bruce Miller: "He just did a great job throughout the whole game," fullback Bruce Miller said. "There was no fall off, no drop off with Joe (Staley) leaving. I'm really impressed with the way he handled himself. He's confident, and very humble in his approach. He prepares like a starter, so when he goes in there, he's a starter."

Colin Kaepernick: "Joe (Looney) did an amazing job to come in, perform the way he did," quarterback Colin Kaepernick said Wednesday. "He pretty much locked their front down the whole game. So, hats off to him."

Jonathan Goodwin: "You never really know what to expect with a guy who hasn't played," Goodwin said. "One thing about him, he works hard and he's a student of the game. The one thing I told Coach Solari that I felt from the moment he came in the game Sunday was you got a confident vibe from him. His first real action for him to be in that position and for him to come in and be that way that says a lot about him."

Greg Roman: "He's on it. He prepares very diligently," offensive coordinator Greg Roman said. "He's a very professional, intelligent young man. Love his aggressiveness, too. He went after people, which is what we like. Without question he played really well. He was just genuinely excited to be out there and have an opportunity to play, and it showed in his performance. We had confidence in him, but it's his first time out there doing it and he stepped up big. We're very pleased."

Just sayin......

Like they're gonna trash him to the media.

"Who Looney? That guy sucks. Bad. He's lucky he made the roster. Nice guy though." -His teammate

About "His teammate" .... there's no validity in that comment and I doubt any team mate on the 49ers said that... if the name wasn't given but only (His teammate), then the quote was prolly bogus and/or that player is scurred . I wonder what reporter put that quote out there anyways?!
[ Edited by LVJay on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
^^^ Many thanks to NCommand for the detailed breakdown of what a lot of fans around here are calling a horrible performance by Joe Looney.

Lol of course NCcommands perception of the plays are completely objective.
Originally posted by LVJay:
About "His teammate" .... there's no validity in that comment and I doubt any team mate on the 49ers said that... if the name wasn't given but only (His teammate), then the quote was prolly bogus and/or that player is scurred . I wonder what reporter put that quote out there anyways?!

You missed what I was saying. That wasn't a quote from a player.

I was making the point that positive comments from teammates & coaches to the media is like a positive comment from his mom. It doesn't really mean anything.

And before everyone freaks out, I never said Looney was a bad player. He's not. I just don't think he'd make a good starter. I think he's more backup material. That's based on the limited amount of time I've seen him play, so of course I hope he changes my mind.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
You missed what I was saying. That wasn't a quote from a player.

I was making the point that positive comments from teammates & coaches to the media is like a positive comment from his mom. It doesn't really mean anything.

And before everyone freaks out, I never said Looney was a bad player. He's not. I just don't think he'd make a good starter. I think he's more backup material. That's based on the limited amount of time I've seen him play, so of course I hope he changes my mind.

Oh, ok... the quotes threw me off a lil

well, he's not the only player that we hope change minds... JM / Gabby come to mind. I look forward to seeing that leap from gm 1 to gm 2 and so forth (hoping each week is a big improvement).

I think Looney will be fine, but we really gotta get JM to gain confidence... at least try out the drive-thru at Jack In The Box doe
[ Edited by LVJay on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:

Lol of course NCcommands perception of the plays are completely objective.

Why not? I have no bias either way on Looney. I just wrote down what I saw on the tape. Now Brooks? I might be a little biased there!
It's interesting reading all the reports of how great Kilgore has been...

@caminman Center Daniel Kilgore's smooth transition to the starting unit includes no botched snaps this training camp. It appeared he might have had one Monday, but Kaepernick blamed it on a running back tipping the shotgun snap

@mattmaiocco For the first time in training camp, center Daniel Kilgore had a shotgun snap that hit the ground. However, Kaepernick pointed out that the ball struck a running back who was out of position

...and then you watch him on tape.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

@caminman Center Daniel Kilgore's smooth transition to the starting unit includes no botched snaps this training camp. It appeared he might have had one Monday, but Kaepernick blamed it on a running back tipping the shotgun snap

@mattmaiocco For the first time in training camp, center Daniel Kilgore had a shotgun snap that hit the ground. However, Kaepernick pointed out that the ball struck a running back who was out of position

Did he botched a snap vs. the Ravens ?

To me "smooth transition" means he knows the playbook, makes all the right pre-snap adjustmens etc. Not necessarily that he looks great.
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:

Did he botched a snap vs. the Ravens ?

To me "smooth transition" means he knows the playbook, makes all the right pre-snap adjustmens etc. Not necessarily that he looks great.

Truth...mentally and snapping, I think he's looked very good. I was speaking more generally, in that most of the reports about him are so good you'd think he'd be absolutely dominating the C position. And I thought that until I rewatched the OL against the Ravens. So is Kilgore fixed at C? I'm not so sure that's the case. In fact, I'd like to see quite a few snaps from Marcus Martin before this pre season is over for two reasons 1) to push Kilgore and 2) to ensure we have a viable backup should Kilgore go down. The thing that scared me about Kilgore was that he was physically getting blown backwards a lot against the run and in pass protection. He has the smarts and athleticism, but does he have the strength and size to face the big boys like Ngata and Williams inside? If not, Gore and Hyde are going to have to become "bounce" machines.
Truth...mentally and snapping, I think he's looked very good. I was speaking more generally, in that most of the reports about him are so good you'd think he'd be absolutely dominating the C position. And I thought that until I rewatched the OL against the Ravens. So is Kilgore fixed at C? I'm not so sure that's the case. In fact, I'd like to see quite a few snaps from Marcus Martin before this pre season is over for two reasons 1) to push Kilgore and 2) to ensure we have a viable backup should Kilgore go down. The thing that scared me about Kilgore was that he was physically getting blown backwards a lot against the run and in pass protection. He has the smarts and athleticism, but does he have the strength and size to face the big boys like Ngata and Williams inside? If not, Gore and Hyde are going to have to become "bounce" machines.

Based purely on an "eye test," Marcus Martin looks like he should be a lot stronger. The guy is a beast. As far as Kilgore is concerned, the good news is that every team does not have a couple of tree stumps like Ngata and Williams sitting there in the middle.

Based purely on an "eye test," Marcus Martin looks like he should be a lot stronger. The guy is a beast. As far as Kilgore is concerned, the good news is that every team does not have a couple of tree stumps like Ngata and Williams sitting there in the middle.

Martin seems special to me as well (esp. his size/strength and technique) but obviously he has a long ways to go getting this offense down and all the correct line adjustments. Sadly, that's just going to take quite a bit of time.

And you are so right...those two are not only tree trunks but quick, moving tree trunks. I'd be stoked to have either as our NT!
Martin seems special to me as well (esp. his size/strength and technique) but obviously he has a long ways to go getting this offense down and all the correct line adjustments. Sadly, that's just going to take quite a bit of time.

And you are so right...those two are not only tree trunks but quick, moving tree trunks. I'd be stoked to have either as our NT!

I have to wonder if any of the teams interested in Boone are waving a NT type guy in front of Baalke's face as bait.

I have to wonder if any of the teams interested in Boone are waving a NT type guy in front of Baalke's face as bait.

That's not a bad guess. Baalke is very shrewd and you know he's working THE best deal possible for the team and he's certainly going to get the most for Boone...or this is a ploy to force Boone's hand even more. Either way this is Baalke we're talking about here. We know every single angle is being addressed behind the scenes...hell, he's probably worked out every scenario a year ago.

PS: If we really need, both Sopoaga and Franklin are still available as well. And they could probably nab a fatty 2-gap UDFA NT as well esp. given we only use the NT 40% of the time.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM ]
So I think it has been decently documented about how some feel Looney had a relatively good night against the Ravens and how others and including MB reviewed Looneys game much differently. Well Barrows made an interesting statement in his latest column which I think shines some light to his prior reasoning.

"De facto right guard Joe Looney had a mixed game against the Ravens on Thursday but seemed to have improved his technique during the three days of practice. He did not stand out, which is good for an interior lineman.Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/12/6622679/offense-where-things-stand-in.html#storylink=cpy"
So the bolded points out a common technique for viewers to rate linemen. Which Martin and than Looney both did in the first series of the game. Martin flopped on a pull to his side of the field and Looney got blown up on 3rd and short. But that does not answer the question of why nobody Noticed the most glaring mistake on the second play of the game by Iupati that got Kap planted on his back in under 2 seconds and his repeatedly horride pass protection in the two drives. FYI Barrows second line of support for Looney's play was that we did outstanding running to the left side of the field and did not run to the right.

The problem with the OL stand out approach is that it is highly dependent on the direction, especially for the interior OL. Naturally our eyes pick up things in the fore ground and often filter out things in the perceived background. 49ers were traveling from left to right on the screen putting Looney and Martin in the foreground and hiding Kilgore and Iupati.

It is not to my surprise that most people who rewatched the game reviewing each play for each OL came to a much different opinion than people watching it live and/or reviewing multiple players per play like MB would do. You cannot watch an entire trench battle in one viewing, it really takes 5 viewings to see exactly what happened each play, two and three times really isn't even enough to get a specific judgement on all 5 battles.

Had 49ers been playing from right to left, we would most likely be talking about how Iupati had a bad performance, that he's always been a better run blocker than pass blocker, that his prior injury is still possibly effecting him and how Looney looked solid, and good luck to Boone and his future endeavors.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
So I think it has been decently documented about how some feel Looney had a relatively good night against the Ravens and how others and including MB reviewed Looneys game much differently. Well Barrows made an interesting statement in his latest column which I think shines some light to his prior reasoning.

"De facto right guard Joe Looney had a mixed game against the Ravens on Thursday but seemed to have improved his technique during the three days of practice. He did not stand out, which is good for an interior lineman.Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/12/6622679/offense-where-things-stand-in.html#storylink=cpy"
So the bolded points out a common technique for viewers to rate linemen. Which Martin and than Looney both did in the first series of the game. Martin flopped on a pull to his side of the field and Looney got blown up on 3rd and short. But that does not answer the question of why nobody Noticed the most glaring mistake on the second play of the game by Iupati that got Kap planted on his back in under 2 seconds and his repeatedly horride pass protection in the two drives. FYI Barrows second line of support for Looney's play was that we did outstanding running to the left side of the field and did not run to the right.

The problem with the OL stand out approach is that it is highly dependent on the direction, especially for the interior OL. Naturally our eyes pick up things in the fore ground and often filter out things in the perceived background. 49ers were traveling from left to right on the screen putting Looney and Martin in the foreground and hiding Kilgore and Iupati.

It is not to my surprise that most people who rewatched the game reviewing each play for each OL came to a much different opinion than people watching it live and/or reviewing multiple players per play like MB would do. You cannot watch an entire trench battle in one viewing, it really takes 5 viewings to see exactly what happened each play, two and three times really isn't even enough to get a specific judgement on all 5 battles.

Had 49ers been playing from right to left, we would most likely be talking about how Iupati had a bad performance, that he's always been a better run blocker than pass blocker, that his prior injury is still possibly effecting him and how Looney looked solid, and good luck to Boone and his future endeavors.

I did some film review on Martin and Looney and Okoye. Is anyone willing to break down Kilgore and Iupati? Iupati is coming back from a broken leg and Kilgore is CRITICAL to our offense. Iupati is very important given he's our pulling guard (although I'm very encouraged by Looney's pulling ability).
Share 49ersWebzone