There are 219 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Mario misses the first half of the season on PUP which allows the 49ers to carry an extra receiver for half the season.

Until Mario comes off PUP the lineup looks like this and the #2 spot is by committee:
Boldin
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
Moore
Hall

Mario replaces Hall when he returns. If Crabtree comes back then he replaces Moore.
Being a Fresno State Student im so happy we got a Bulldog on the 49ers Marlon was a BEAST at Fresno State and he did very well with the Miami Dolphins even Dolphin Fans were surprised to let Marlon Go..I Hope He Makes the Team he was always Practicing Hard Everyday at Fresno State Coach Pat Hill Brought the Best out of this Guy..#GODOGS and #GONINERS!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
marlon moore will make it,, he will be a demon on special teams, he will be a back up kick and punt returner, he will give us more in the wide out game than we ever had with ginn who was a true one trick pony. Now moore is actually out playing alot of people include jenkins now so you can laugh but you would be wise to not totally discount my theory that moore will make the team and be a impact player for us

I really hope so. I wasn't clear about the practice squad rules before which means if AJ Jenkins is not cut, we are essentially talking about only 2 available spots based on 6 WR slots in the 53-man roster like last year. But, when Mario comes back, one of them will have to be waived and goes unclaimed before we can sign him to the practice squad. If that's the case, for me is Moore and Lockette. And when Crab comes back, both will have to be waived.

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I really hope so. I wasn't clear about the practice squad rules before which means if AJ Jenkins is not cut, we are essentially talking about only 2 available spots based on 6 WR slots in the 53-man roster like last year. But, when Mario comes back, one of them will have to be waived and goes unclaimed before we can sign him to the practice squad. If that's the case, for me is Moore and Lockette. And when Crab comes back, both will have to be waived.

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)

sure hope we can get mario somewhere in the first one third of the season? to optimistic?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
Being a Fresno State Student im so happy we got a Bulldog on the 49ers Marlon was a BEAST at Fresno State and he did very well with the Miami Dolphins even Dolphin Fans were surprised to let Marlon Go..I Hope He Makes the Team he was always Practicing Hard Everyday at Fresno State Coach Pat Hill Brought the Best out of this Guy..#GODOGS and #GONINERS!!

Don't worry, looks like we have a whole bunch of folks pulling for him. I also talked to a lot of Dolphins fans when we signed him and most of them had good things to say about the guy.

Ahem. As a Bulldog grad, I can confirm that Marlon was very good and absolutely lit up the WAC during his time at Fresno State. That's the good news.

The bad news is: Marlon lit up the WAC.

There aren't many WAC defenders in the NFL ranks. PAC 12 (10?) and SEC is more like it. Question is, can Marlon light up all those PAC and SEC players that stud nearly every NFL roster? The level of competition is much higher.

I'm not saying he can't. Henry Ellard did it for the Rams and had a very successful career.

But there's only been one Henry Ellard.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)

sure hope we can get mario somewhere in the first one third of the season? to optimistic?

Believe it or not, I actually think he can come back by the start of the season. That was what he said. RG3 said he will be ready to go by game 1 too and he had his surgery later than Mario. But, I think Mario tore more than just the ACL though, if I am not wrong the PCL as well. So, I think your assessment should be pretty much spot on. Can't wait to hear some Day 5 news.

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)
I think this is how it goes down.

However, I would also throw there that it is possible we could carry 7 WRs. It's unlikely, and I don't think they'd want to do that because it would leave us thin somewhere else. But I feel like WR, as a position, has been a real problem for us for years. Even last year with Crabtree healthy, there was a noticeable lack of other targets, especially once Mario went down. If it takes carrying 7 WRs for half a season to figure out a long term solution, then I say do it.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)

However, I would also throw there that it is possible we could carry 7 WRs. It's unlikely, and I don't think they'd want to do that because it would leave us thin somewhere else. But I feel like WR, as a position, has been a real problem for us for years. Even last year with Crabtree healthy, there was a noticeable lack of other targets, especially once Mario went down. If it takes carrying 7 WRs for half a season to figure out a long term solution, then I say do it.

You know what the problem was last year and now ? We did have the WR headcounts on the roster, but they just couldn't play. This year is the same thing, if Jenkins can't perform he will eat up one valuable spot on the roster. I fully agree with you we might need 7 WRs especially at the start of the season before Mario can come back. If so, I would add Chuck Jacobs or Chad Hall to Marlon Moore and Ricardo Lockette.

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)

You know what the problem was last year and now ? We did have the WR headcounts on the roster, but they just couldn't play. This year is the same thing, if Jenkins can't perform he will eat up one valuable spot on the roster. I fully agree with you we might need 7 WRs especially at the start of the season before Mario can come back. If so, I would add Chuck Jacobs or Chad Hall to Marlon Moore and Ricardo Lockette.
I'm glad to hear someone else around here sees it this way.

This is why I advocated drafting 2-3 WRs both this year AND last year.

Everyone keeps acting like we solved this thing every time we sign a washed up vet or pick off someone else's practice squad player.

It's the weakest link on the roster, and it's not going to get fixed until we make some more serious, and competent moves.

• Rascal
  • Veteran

• Anquan Boldin
  • Kyle Williams
  • Quinton Patton
  • AJ Jenkins
  • Marlon Moore
  • Ricardo Lockette

* Mario Manningham (PUP)
* Michael Crabtree (PUP)

I'm glad to hear someone else around here sees it this way.

This is why I advocated drafting 2-3 WRs both this year AND last year.

Everyone keeps acting like we solved this thing every time we sign a washed up vet or pick off someone else's practice squad player.

It's the weakest link on the roster, and it's not going to get fixed until we make some more serious, and competent moves.

Spot on. We might just need to do that in the short term before we get up to speed with our receiving corp. Or at least we need to look at some bonafide 1st rounders. The last draft really puzzled me, we had stockpiled a tonne of drafts, knowing the big question mark on Jenkins, we still waited until the 4th round to pick a WR. Now, I am not saying Quinton is crap or anything, but it looks to me obviously Baalke and Harbaugh underestimated the issue with the receiving corp. I felt Baalke was probably more interested in stockpiling more picks for next year. To me, that 34th pick was crucial, we still could have pulled in someone decent. Now, going forward, if they don't draft a proper WR in the high rounds next year, I would be absolutely pis*ed.

Im from Fresno, born and raised, 23 years. Im glad he is a 49er also.

My list is....

Boldin
Manningham
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
Moore

one of Jacobs/Hall get a spot if Manningham goes on the PUP. Likely Hall, and then we PS Jacobs.

I think Lockette is as good as gone. I never understood the man crush this board had on him anyways. Sure he is a specimen to look at, but thats about it.

Where it gets interesting IMO is if Jenkins truely struggles the rest of camp and into preseason, and Jacobs/Hall have great camps and preseasons, does the FO/coaching staff play favorites with draft position. IMO it would be hard to cut Jenkins this early purely based on his draft position, and i dont think we could move him, maybe get a late round pick, but at the same time we cant really afford to carry a guy that is not atleast improving with this current WR group, and if Jacobs/Hall have great camps it could get real interesting.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Im from Fresno, born and raised, 23 years. Im glad he is a 49er also.

My list is....

Boldin
Manningham
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
Moore

one of Jacobs/Hall get a spot if Manningham goes on the PUP. Likely Hall, and then we PS Jacobs.

I think Lockette is as good as gone. I never understood the man crush this board had on him anyways. Sure he is a specimen to look at, but thats about it.

Where it gets interesting IMO is if Jenkins truely struggles the rest of camp and into preseason, and Jacobs/Hall have great camps and preseasons, does the FO/coaching staff play favorites with draft position. IMO it would be hard to cut Jenkins this early purely based on his draft position, and i dont think we could move him, maybe get a late round pick, but at the same time we cant really afford to carry a guy that is not atleast improving with this current WR group, and if Jacobs/Hall have great camps it could get real interesting.

Well, that is the problem, isn't it ? It all revolves around Jenkins. Honestly, I think Baalke and Harbaugh will give him one last chance this season, probbaly due to his 1st roud pick status. Then, it begs the question, why bother having competition in training camp in the first place anyway ?! You are supposed to earn your stripes to get onto the team. Unless we do what Funky Chicken suggested as in opening up 1 more WR spot on the roster to make it 7, we might be throwing better talents away. When you say signing either Jacobs or Hall onto the practice squad, that is not necessarily automatic. Everytime we do that, we risk another team claiming such players off waivers before we can stash them onto the scout team. So, you can see the chain reaction of repercussions of keeping Jenkins ? One thing for sure, if Baalke and Harbaugh have the guts to cut Jenkins before the season, I will salute them with respect !! Shrewd operators have to be able to make good decisions and more often than not they are tough decisions. So, absolutely, it will be interesting to see how things unfold.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Start of regular season
Boldin
Williams
Moore

Remaining 3
Jenkins
Patton
Hall or Lockette

Obviously, once Manningham comes back 100%, things will change (up to FO/players productivity)... more changes when Crabs gets back.
  • buck
  • Veteran
In a related thread, 74% of those voting feel that Jenkins should be given at least this season to prove himself.
,(The entire season: 54% plus The length of his contract: 20%)

And 26% felt he should be cut now or given until the end of the preseason.
(I'm he done with him and is a first round bust: 13% plus Till the pre-season: 13%)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173936-the-jenkins-debate-and-poll/#iTVKvSbT2IjFyvyd.99
Share 49ersWebzone