LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Collie is without a doubt a better receiver than Lockette, and I would assume that they know that

I think Lockette could make the team as a gunner on special teams. We need big, fast, nasty gunners.

If Collie is healthy enough to play well, he will make the team.

The thing is, they've been talking about Moore's ability as a special teams gunner, and then you go back to the whole Costanzo deal and them not wanting to keep guys who can't play the position....etc.....etc.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Patton, hall, Moore, collie, Baldwin, and Hawkins all ran a 40 yard dash in 4.48 to 4.56
In order
Lockette 4.34
Williams 4.40
Patton 4.48
Baldwin 4.49
Moore 4.49
Hawkins 4.49
Collie 4.56
Hall 4.56
Difference is Baldwin ran a 4.49 at 230 lbs, dude can stretch the field easily

I am pretty sure the Quinton Patton ran a 4.53 at the combine. That is what his time is at nfl.com.

But, NFL Draft Scout has him running a 4.48.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111172&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR
I am pretty sure the Quinton Patton ran a 4.53 at the combine. That is what his time is at nfl.com.

But, NFL Draft Scout has him running a 4.48.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111172&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

I think he ran a 4.48 at his Pro Day, but the 4.53 at the Combine is likely the more accurate time.
Williams, collie, Moore, Baldwin, lockett all with boldin. When manningham and crabtree return two of those will be replaced....
One thing about this list is we can do no wrong. Whoever we cut, is going to start somewhere else. Regardless of who we pick we win...and that isn't a bad seat to be sitting in. Remember just 7 short months ago we went into the SB with just Vernon...literally, just Vernon. Think what that Ravens D would be looking at now with the guys we have added at WR . Look at that roster now, our problem pick is gone along with a net $2.25 mil back in our piggy bank and quality of WR exchanged vastly favors 9ers. Wow, just wow.
Originally posted by okieniner:
Williams, collie, Moore, Baldwin, lockett all with boldin. When manningham and crabtree return two of those will be replaced....

IMO Collie is a better WR than Manningham. I'm not going to pull up any numbers but I do believe that the numbers show that.

Now I am not saying that Collie is going to make the roster. I do not have access to all the information. I wouldn't make it sound like Manningham is the "be all, end all" of WRs. And for sure the team does not feel that way, just judging ffrom the way they adjusted his contract this off season. Certainly he is not in the category to be lumped in with Crabtree.

Whatever happens, I believe that these days the Niners make the coorect decision much more often than not. So we'll see.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM ]
Phoenix:

If you are right, and I think that you are, the lack of change between the college and pro game is worrisome.

Rsrkshn:

Who was the other high profile player that the team had a fixation on and had a hard time letting go?
This question is not a challenge. I just am not sure to whom you are referring.

You know. Too much of an emotionally charged topic for some people. Better to leave undisturbed on this thread.

PS: Oops I see that Pheonix has already supplied the appropriate response.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Phoenix:

If you are right, and I think that you are, the lack of change between the college and pro game is worrisome.

Rsrkshn:

Who was the other high profile player that the team had a fixation on and had a hard time letting go?
This question is not a challenge. I just am not sure to whom you are referring.

You know. Too much of an emotionally charged topic for some people. Better to leave undisturbed on this thread.

PS: Oops I see that Pheonix has already supplied the appropriate response.

Dang. You could send me a private message (PM). I promise not tell anyone.

But the comment really piqued my curiosity.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
One thing about this list is we can do no wrong. Whoever we cut, is going to start somewhere else. Regardless of who we pick we win...and that isn't a bad seat to be sitting in. Remember just 7 short months ago we went into the SB with just Vernon...literally, just Vernon. Think what that Ravens D would be looking at now with the guys we have added at WR . Look at that roster now, our problem pick is gone along with a net $2.25 mil back in our piggy bank and quality of WR exchanged vastly favors 9ers. Wow, just wow.

What do you mean by, "just Vernon"?

We had Crabtree, Moss and Walker. Should I assume you mean Baldwin is far better than Moss, and McDonald is far better than Walker, and Boldin is far better than Crabtree?

In the most utterly supreme best case scenario, those guys even out, IF:
1) Baldwin is leaps and bounds better than he has ever been, to equal Moss.
2) McDonald is very good as a rookie, to equal the veteran Walker.
3) Boldin is just as good as last year, to equal Crabs.

Number 3 is most likely, the other cases look like wishful thinking.

"Whoever we cut is going to start somewhere else?" You mean Lockette, Collie, Moore etc???

I agree with you that there is more potential in our WR core than last year.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM ]
IMO Collie is a better WR than Manningham. I'm not going to pull up any numbers but I do believe that the numbers show that.

Now I am not saying that Collie is going to make the roster. I do not have access to all the information. I wouldn't make it sound like Manningham is the "be all, end all" of WRs. And for sure the team does not feel that way, just judging ffrom the way they adjusted his contract this off season. Certainly he is not in the category to be lumped in with Crabtree.

Whatever happens, I believe that these days the Niners make the coorect decision much more often than not. So we'll see.

I'd say pre-injury Manningham and healthy Collie were fairly equal in terms of their effectiveness as wide receivers, however, who knows what you'll get with post-wrecked knee Manningham?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'd say pre-injury Manningham and healthy Collie were fairly equal in terms of their effectiveness as wide receivers, however, who knows what you'll get with post-wrecked knee Manningham?

I consider you a pretty good student of the game, so if you say so, I give it plenty of credence.

My impressions of Manningham: Fast but very fragile. Has a reputation for not running precise routes. Inconsistent. Not a starting caliber WR. He had one of the most clutch receptions on the biggest stage, but my impression is that Collie is more of a clutch, safety valve, type of receiver. Starting caliber.
The only reason Collie didn't start in Indy is because Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garçon were in front of him.
I consider you a pretty good student of the game, so if you say so, I give it plenty of credence.

My impressions of Manningham: Fast but very fragile. Has a reputation for not running precise routes. Inconsistent. Not a starting caliber WR. He had one of the most clutch receptions on the biggest stage, but my impression is that Collie is more of a clutch, safety valve, type of receiver. Starting caliber.

Good dicussion! That said, I have always thought Manningham was tremendous at running routes and probably THE best WR off the LOS. He's not blazing fast or big and physical but has made a living off that first step and move (very quick feet); sets up DB's well. He's created more separation off the LOS in short quarters than I've seen from a 9er WR in years. In fact, one of his TD's (inside the 10), he smoked the CB so badly, he was open by 10/15 yards for an EASY TD. And I think this is another reason why we aren't rushing him back. His entire game is based on quickness and shiftiness (quick feet, explosion off the LOS) and with that horrendous knee injury, it's going to take some time to get fully back to form.

When healthy, he could end up being THE best slot WR we have on the roster esp. if we use Davis and McDonald inside and have the speed and big-bodies outside in Boldin, Baldwin, Moore and perhaps, Lockette.

Jesus! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr5PLjIA-KY

Good references: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLMamR6dkQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1AkUoGJ_js
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
Hmmmm, I guess if the 49ers ever start a track team they can give Lockette a buzz.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Well, my man Lockette is gone.

So, I will go, in no particular order, with:

1. Boldin
2. Patton
3. Williams
4. Moore
5. Collie
6. Baldwin
Share 49ersWebzone