There are 189 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What I think will happen: Boldin, Moore, Williams, Baldwin, Patton, Hall
What I want to happen: Boldin, Moore/Baldwin, Williams, Patton, Collie

I'd like to eventually give Baldwin a shot at starting outside once he learns the playbook and starts making plays. Chuck Jacobs to the practice squad. Lockette was on our PS the last 2 years so don't think he is eligible. If he is I'd put him on it with Jacobs.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Trading for Baldwin this late really puts the team in a pickle.

Personally, I think that the guy is probably a bust ( his poor character is the tipping point), but really there isn't going to be enough time to evaluate what the team has in him. And then there is the guaranteed $1 million that the team is committed to paying him. If its close between him and someone else the money investment in him may incentivize the team to keep him.

Let's see how he fits in: He's not really a speedster (4.5 sec 40) but he has great size. So ideally he fits more the possession receiver mold than the stretch-the-field role. Though I understand that in the past he has filled the stretch role. The team presently has Boldin and Crabtree who obviously fit the physical size, possession type category. And Crabtree is injured. Having another would be nice obviously to man the Z position.

Patton, Hawkins, Collie are also possession types, lacking in elite speed, but probably having the size to fill in at the X.

Moore and Lockette are the teams only remaining stretch-the-field types. Lockette really being the only one with size and elite speed. Ideally X

Williams and Hall are made for the slot. Yes they've filled in at X, but it's not ideal really.

Let's say that we keep 6 WR. Who? I'd like to see (but I don't believe that this will be the case):

X : Lockette, Moore
Slot: Williams, Collie
Z : Boldin, Patton

Collie for his experience and production. Lockette for his unrivalled measurables: size, speed and ST contributions (and better character than Baldwin). It may prove over the remainder of the preseason that Lockette is not worthy, in which case pick one of the others. Even Baldwin if he surprises.

PS : Hall, Jacobs
Patton, hall, Moore, collie, Baldwin, and Hawkins all ran a 40 yard dash in 4.48 to 4.56
In order
Lockette 4.34
Williams 4.40
Patton 4.48
Baldwin 4.49
Moore 4.49
Hawkins 4.49
Collie 4.56
Hall 4.56
Difference is Baldwin ran a 4.49 at 230 lbs, dude can stretch the field easily
According to Branch, these WRs are eligible for the practice squad.

Chuck Jacobs--6'
Ricardo Lockette--6'2"
Quinton Patton--6'

Jacobs seems to be the guy most likely, thought Lockette may as well, be placed. Knowing Harbaugh's tendency toward vets, I would think the five guys who are locks are:

Boldin--6'1"
Williams--5'10"
Patton--6'
Moore--6'
Baldwin--6'4"

Then there will be one or two guys who holding down places for Crabtree 6 '1" and Manningham--6'.

Collie--6' (concussion danger--has started six games in his best year)
Lockette--6'2" (practice squad if they keep six WRs)

Practice squad seems likely for Jacobs

Odd guys out:

Hall--5'8"
Osgood--6'5"
Hawkins--5'11"

My preference would be to keep players who have the best shot as staying healthy...not Collie, for instance.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:49 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
According to Branch, these WRs are eligible for the practice squad.

Chuck Jacobs--6'
Ricardo Lockette--6'2"
Quinton Patton--6'

Jacobs seems to be the guy most likely, thought Lockette may as well, be placed. Knowing Harbaugh's tendency toward vets, I would think the five guys who are locks are:

Boldin--6'1"
Williams--5'10"
Patton--6'
Moore--6'
Baldwin--6'4"

Then there will be one or two guys who holding down places for Crabtree 6 '1" and Manningham--6'.

Collie--6' (concussion danger--has started six games in his best year)
Lockette--6'2" (practice squad if they keep six WRs)

Practice squad seems likely for Jacobs

Odd guys out:

Hall--5'8"
Osgood--6'5"
Hawkins--5'11"

My preference would be to keep players who have the best shot as staying healthy...not Collie, for instance.

Agreed on many fronts here...like how you broke it down.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Patton, hall, Moore, collie, Baldwin, and Hawkins all ran a 40 yard dash in 4.48 to 4.56
In order
Lockette 4.34
Williams 4.40
Patton 4.48
Baldwin 4.49
Moore 4.49
Hawkins 4.49
Collie 4.56
Hall 4.56
Difference is Baldwin ran a 4.49 at 230 lbs, dude can stretch the field easily

Yeah but he changes directions like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

There's a HUGE difference in quickness from guys like Patton and Collie to Baldwin, he's a long strider that has struggled with contact, if you let him get down the field and accelerating, then he's a nice vertical threat, but he's not a guy who's going to create separation easily.
Patton, Baldwin, Hall
Jacobs looked like he was playing much faster than the KC guys trying to cover him. I wouldn't be heart broken if jacobs makes the 53 at the expense of some guys who haven't played yet or haven't caught a pass yet. Guys like moore, osgood, collie, and lockette have a previous history we can look at to see if they are capable WR's.

The wr's so far are limping into this season. So far, jacobs looks like he can play the part. I doubt he makes it due to special teams or something other than the ability to get open and catch a pass.
Originally posted by fister30:
Jacobs looked like he was playing much faster than the KC guys trying to cover him. I wouldn't be heart broken if jacobs makes the 53 at the expense of some guys who haven't played yet or haven't caught a pass yet. Guys like moore, osgood, collie, and lockette have a previous history we can look at to see if they are capable WR's.

The wr's so far are limping into this season. So far, jacobs looks like he can play the part. I doubt he makes it due to special teams or something other than the ability to get open and catch a pass.

If looking at previous history, Collie is currently the most capable and proven healthy WR behind Boldin. He was a #3 in Indy only because the guys ahead of him were Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon.
I think they keep Osgood as the 6th and place Hall and Jacobs on the PS. Osgood is ST's ace and possible red zone target. Could put Collie on PUP so he gets fully healthy and then see what plays out. Maybe Baldwin realizes his potential on the 2013 Superbowl champs.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I think they keep Osgood as the 6th and place Hall and Jacobs on the PS. Osgood is ST's ace and possible red zone target. Could put Collie on PUP so he gets fully healthy and then see what plays out. Maybe Baldwin realizes potential on the 2013 Superbowl champs.

Put him on the PUP for what. he's fully healthy right now.

Also, I don't see anyway Osgood makes this team. He's 33 years old and after playing WR for about a decade, has a few more catches than AJ Jenkins does. I think depending on what Patton, Collie and Baldwin show in these next 2 games, Moore could end up as the ST with both Lockette and Osgood getting cut. I don't see them keeping a guy who can't perform as a WR just for special teams purposes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]

I think we will only keep 5. Boldin, Moore, Williams, Baldwin and Patton.

If we do keep 6, I think Osgood has the best chance due to his ST play, but would have to show that he is one of the top 2 ST'ers on the team.

Collie is injury prone and might not be 100% back from his PCL injury. His best chance IMO, is to show he's capable of starting, which I haven't seen the evidence.
Doesnt play ST which hurts his chances. I do think some team will claim him on waivers however.

I really like Hall, but he has limited value. I don't think he can line up outside and we have many players that can play in the slot. ( Boldin, Williams, VD, ETC )
He can do returns on ST, but is clearly behind LM, Williams and Cox. I am pretty sure no one will sign him to their 53 because of these reasons. Its why he
was available to us late in the season when we signed him to the practice squad. Im sure we will put him on our emergency list in case of injury.

Lockette and Jacobs are just PS candidates IMO
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fister30:

If looking at previous history, Collie is currently the most capable and proven healthy WR behind Boldin. He was a #3 in Indy only because the guys ahead of him were Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon.

I hope past performance is a consideration in their evaluation. We can hope for a higher level of production but we can expect what they have done in previous seasons.

Agreed. Collie is the most capable receiver sans Boldin when he is healthy. I still think he makes the roster, and he is healthy right now. He didn't have a PCL injury last season, it was a torn patella tendon. He's healthy and if Harbaugh would put him into the game before the third quarter and not pass on only third down, he could better showcase his abilities.
[ Edited by K1ngCoopa24 on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
Put him on the PUP for what. he's fully healthy right now.

Also, I don't see anyway Osgood makes this team. He's 33 years old and after playing WR for about a decade, has a few more catches than AJ Jenkins does. I think depending on what Patton, Collie and Baldwin show in these next 2 games, Moore could end up as the ST with both Lockette and Osgood getting cut.

Definitely possible. Although Harbaugh has alluded to Collie not being fully healthy in the past which leads me to believe he can pull that card if he chooses.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Definitely possible. Harbaugh has alluded to Collie not being fully healthy in the past which leads me to believe he can pull that card if he chooses.

LOL, you can't just make up an injury to put a guy on the PUP, that's absolute nonsense.

Collie had a knee injury last year, he's now fully recovered. He had some concussion issues in the past but that was over 3 years ago.
Share 49ersWebzone