LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 197 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1-Boldin
2-Williams
3-Moore
4-Patton
5-Collie
6-Baldwin

Chuck Jacobs and Lockette on the practice squad. Come at me bro's.

I like it. Let's look at it in real formation-terms:

X (outside, left) = Moore, Baldwin (Williams)
Y (slot) = Williams, Patton, Collie
Z (outside, right) = Boldin, (Baldwin)

I'd be more inclined to swap out Hall for Collie as they are the same exact player but Hall has no injury history AND plays ST (returner as well). Collie will have to be light-years ahead of him as a WR to overtake him but rght now, Hall has been our pre season game MVP thus far. Also, Baldwin has no clue re: our playbook. Lockette is years ahead of him. Baldwin will be #7 while he learns the playbook as we need players who can step onto the field right now. Lockette is also a stellar gunner (over Baldwin).

So I'd be more inclined to this...for now:

X (outside, left) = Moore, Lockette
Y (slot) = Williams, Patton, Hall
Z (outside, right) = Boldin, Baldwin

Note, Williams can play all three WR positions and will take many at the X. Hall has also lined up at all three this pre season. Lockette and eventually Baldwin, can and will play both outside positions. Williams, Patton and Hall should tear it up in the slot. 4 of the 7 are also very good ST players (Moore, Lockette, Williams and Hall).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If we're truly going to keep the "best 53", I can't believe we would keep WR's over other players at other positions.
Also, this team doesn't rely on its WR's nearly as much as most teams.

This is a great point...with VD, McDonald, Celek and even Gray, we may only see 5 or 6 WR's tops esp. knowing Manningham will be back in 6 weeks.
NCommand, Baldwin isnt PS eligible, he has too many accrued years, and played in too many games.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
NCommand, Baldwin isnt PS eligible, he has too many accrued years, and played in too many games.

Thanks AB...figured as much.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
#1 Boldin
#2 Baldwin
#3 Williams
#4 Moore
#5 Patton
#6 Lockette

IMO Lockette hasn't done anything to prove he deserves a spot on the team
If they keep Lockette over Collie then they really don't understand how to evaluate WRs....
Originally posted by NCommand:
I like it. Let's look at it in real formation-terms:

X (outside, left) = Moore, Baldwin (Williams)
Y (slot) = Williams, Patton, Collie
Z (outside, right) = Boldin, (Baldwin)

I'd be more inclined to swap out Hall for Collie as they are the same exact player but Hall has no injury history AND plays ST (returner as well). Collie will have to be light-years ahead of him as a WR to overtake him but rght now, Hall has been our pre season game MVP thus far. Also, Baldwin has no clue re: our playbook. Lockette is years ahead of him. Baldwin will be #7 while he learns the playbook as we need players who can step onto the field right now. Lockette is also a stellar gunner (over Baldwin).

So I'd be more inclined to this...for now:

X (outside, left) = Moore, Lockette
Y (slot) = Williams, Patton, Hall
Z (outside, right) = Boldin, Baldwin

Note, Williams can play all three WR positions and will take many at the X. Hall has also lined up at all three this pre season. Lockette and eventually Baldwin, can and will play both outside positions. Williams, Patton and Hall should tear it up in the slot. 4 of the 7 are also very good ST players (Moore, Lockette, Williams and Hall).

lol 7 WR's.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
lol 7 WR's.

Agreed...6 most likely (like last year) and it was 5 the year before. And that is with Manningham coming back after week 6. So one of the outside or inside guys will be cut at the expense of ST...most likely Hall or Lockette. Lockette is eligible for the PS again. Baldwin "should" make the 53 but will probably never be used b/c 1) he wont know the playbook and 2) we don't use the WR position "that" much. We may end up being VERY run-heavy with 2 and 3 TE-sets to start the season. Even with the 5 WR sets I've seen this pre season, only 1 of those 5 was an actual WR.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
If they keep Lockette over Collie then they really don't understand how to evaluate WRs....

This. Collie has almost 2000 yards receiving, or almost 2000 more than Hall+Lockette+Moore combined. On a team filled with young, inexperienced receivers, he's a veteran that has playoff and Superbowl experience, if healthy, he's just as good as Manningham, but working out of the slot mostly. He has very dependable hands and simply finds ways to get open. I would take him in a heartbeat if he's fully healthy. All of this and he's still only 27, the same as Lockette and Hall.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

This. Collie has almost 2000 yards receiving, or almost 2000 more than Hall+Lockette+Moore combined. On a team filled with young, inexperienced receivers, he's a veteran that has playoff and Superbowl experience, if healthy, he's just as good as Manningham, but working out of the slot mostly. He has very dependable hands and simply finds ways to get open. I would take him in a heartbeat if he's fully healthy. All of this and he's still only 27, the same as Lockette and Hall.

I hear that! It's still a tough one for me though b/c one hit and he's done. Also, Collie adds zero ST ability (big issue for us right now). And Hall has been the preeason game-MVP and has been praised all off season by players (for what that's worth). Collie just arrived and still has a long ways to go to learn the playbook. That said, he does have real experience and certainly looks the veteran-part. He seems to have intangibles too. I think if he balls out and shows the versatility Hall has been showing (Hall has lined up at all three WR positions thus far) he may just earn that 53 outright despite the aforementioned. What a battle this has been...and continues to be!
Trading for Baldwin this late really puts the team in a pickle.

Personally, I think that the guy is probably a bust ( his poor character is the tipping point), but really there isn't going to be enough time to evaluate what the team has in him. And then there is the guaranteed $1+ million that the team is committed to paying him. If its close between him and someone else the money investment in him may incentivize the team to keep him.

Let's see how he fits in: He's not really a speedster (4.5 sec 40) but he has great size. So ideally he fits more the possession receiver mold than the stretch-the-field role. Though I understand that in the past he has filled the stretch role. The team presently has Boldin and Crabtree who obviously fit the physical size, possession type category. And Crabtree is injured. Having another would be nice obviously to man the Z position.

Patton, Hawkins, Collie are also possession types, lacking in elite speed, but probably having the size to fill in at the X.

Moore and Lockette are the teams only remaining stretch-the-field types. Lockette really being the only one with size and elite speed. Ideally X

Williams and Hall are made for the slot. Yes they've filled in at X, but it's not ideal really.

Let's say that we keep 6 WR. Who? I'd like to see (but I don't believe that this will be the case):

X : Lockette, Moore
Slot: Williams, Collie
Z : Boldin, Patton

Collie for his experience and production. Lockette for his unrivalled measurables: size, speed and ST contributions (and better character than Baldwin). It may prove over the remainder of the preseason that Lockette is not worthy, in which case pick one of the others. Even Baldwin if he surprises.

PS : Hall, Jacobs

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Personally, I think that the guy is probably a bust ( his poor character is the tipping point), but really there isn't going to be enough time to evaluate what the team has in him. And then there is the guaranteed $1+ million that the team is committed to paying him. If its close between him and someone else the money investment in him may incentivize the team to keep him.

Let's see how he fits in: He's not really a speedster (4.5 sec 40) but he has great size. So ideally he fits more the possession receiver mold than the stretch-the-field role. Though I understand that in the past he has filled the stretch role. The team presently has Boldin and Crabtree who obviously fit the physical size, possession type category. And Crabtree is injured. Having another would be nice obviously to man the Z position.

Patton, Hawkins, Collie are also possession types, lacking in elite speed, but probably having the size to fill in at the X.

Moore and Lockette are the teams only remaining stretch-the-field types. Lockette really being the only one with size and elite speed. Ideally X

Williams and Hall are made for the slot. Yes they've filled in at X, but it's not ideal really.

Let's say that we keep 6 WR. Who? I'd like to see (but I don't believe that this will be the case):

Collie for his experience and production. Lockette for his unrivalled measurables: size, speed and ST contributions (and better character than Baldwin). It may prove over the remainder of the preseason that Lockette is not worthy, in which case pick one of the others. Even Baldwin if he surprises.

Baldwin is a lock.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Very well thought-out! I love Jacobs and Hall on the PS. If Collie gets hurt, Hall is the first man up!

I haven't even considered Patton backing up Boldin out at the Z. This could be fascinating b/c if he can beat press, physically, he, like Boldin, could slide inside to the slot and dominate there as well, keeping defenses off balance. Nice! I love your salary points as well...salary most likely won't be an issue as we are well under the cap now and don't anticipate bringing anyone else in that would count against it (maybe an OT...please!). I genuinely believe the best 53, esp. AT the WR position will make this team...no matter what draft position or salary.
As much as I wanted Lockette to work out, I just don't see him making the roster. I hope they can keep him on the PS one more year. And, I'd like to see them keep Jacobs on the PS as well.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
As much as I wanted Lockette to work out, I just don't see him making the roster. I hope they can keep him on the PS one more year. And, I'd like to see them keep Jacobs on the PS as well.

For sure. Call Lockette up for Seattle :) games and continue to develop he and Jacobs (who looks like he really has something)!
1. A.Boldin
2. K.Williams
3. M.Moore
4. J.Baldwin
5. C.Hall
6. Q.Patton

PS: R.Lockette, C.Jacobs

X: Moore(If Williams start at slot on 3wr set), Patton
Slot: Williams, Hall
Z: Boldin, Baldwin

Believe it or not, C.Hall makes the team. Even Kaep said that Hall is always open, and he's been flawless in OTAs, practices, and the last 2 preseason games. J.Harbaugh always says the best players makes the team regardless of draft status or what not.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone