LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins dropping passes and Kyle Williams fumbling.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tigolbitties:
I hope you are right. He is really not doing much different than last year. He drops a lot of passes. I really hope that he shows up during the preseason. Until then, I am labeling this guy rashaun woods 2.0 . Maybe if jenkins doesn't work out, him and rashaun can go fishing.

Guilty until proven innocent?!? Honestly i dont give two s**ts about how he performs in the pre season. Regular season and post season is all that really matters.
AJ is gonna do fine. If he does bust out and get cut it will only prove that Baalke is a human being and not a football loving AI sent back from the future to make the 49ers the greatest team in history.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
AJ is gonna do fine. If he does bust out and get cut it will only prove that Baalke is a human being and not a football loving AI sent back from the future to make the 49ers the greatest team in history.

I actually think hell do really well also. id almost bet hes gunna have a mediocre pre season, be announced as the #2 wr at the beggining of the regular season fans will be pissed and when he shows hes a really good receiver during the regular season fans will pretend they never said he was a bust or rashaun woods 2.0 or any other bs theyve come up with so far.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

I actually think hell do really well also. id almost bet hes gunna have a mediocre pre season, be announced as the #2 wr at the beggining of the regular season fans will be pissed and when he shows hes a really good receiver during the regular season fans will pretend they never said he was a bust or rashaun woods 2.0 or any other bs theyve come up with so far.

Yeah I could definitely see thag happening. What I remember last PS was him getting behind the safety to his side and making it look easy, just didn't have the ball thrown his way. People meed to stay away from Cohn, as others have said, he crucifies the kid.
With Jenkens it's not about his hands, or route running but his core strength. I have said before that he might have been maxed out already strength wise. The real test will be how he holds up in full contact drills. Drops don't bother me I know he has good hands. What is troubling is that he has again spent time on the ground with little or no contact this early in camp. Lone Wolf- do you really think that Harbaugh really would start Jenkins if he has a mediocre pre-season. He is not a veteran who has already proven he can play in the NFL. Until he does people are justified to remain sceptical. They are saying Reid has to earn his starting position but you think they should just give it to Jenkins regardless of how he plays in preseason. You might think that's BS, but the only BS I see is your prognostications based on wishes rather than any observable reality.
Originally posted by willtalk:
With Jenkens it's not about his hands, or route running but his core strength. I have said before that he might have been maxed out already strength wise. The real test will be how he holds up in full contact drills. Drops don't bother me I know he has good hands. What is troubling is that he has again spent time on the ground with little or no contact this early in camp. Lone Wolf- do you really think that Harbaugh really would start Jenkins if he has a mediocre pre-season. He is not a veteran who has already proven he can play in the NFL. Until he does people are justified to remain sceptical. They are saying Reid has to earn his starting position but you think they should just give it to Jenkins regardless of how he plays in preseason. You might think that's BS, but the only BS I see is your prognostications based on wishes rather than any observable reality.

Actually i do, because iirc we had two wr last year that played alot better in the pre season then more then a few receivers that made the active roster, and now they are on other teams because they went to the practice squad. If you want observable reality dont depend on the pre season to get it. Teams dont play full strength, backups on the o and thw d play more then starters, and i believe there still hasnt been a single team that has gone 4-0 in pre season and won a super bowl in the same year. The pre season is nothing more really then a chance for fans and the national media to make observations and ther judgements on a team or players coming season. Harbaugh is going to make the call based more on strength in practice, knowledge of the playbook, how a player fits in the open position, etc, not based on performance in games that mean about as little as the pro bowl. I understand fans are going to remain skeptical until he "proves" he can play in the NFL its still no reason to go full retard when he has a few drops in the first full contact practice of training camp. Most of the skepticism is going based off of assumption though because hes only had one real game nfl play to judge him on and that was a dropped pass. and i just find it hard to label someone a bust off of that.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Jul 28, 2013 at 3:30 AM ]
The one thing we can be sure of is that the reporters who are commenting on the practices have NO CLUE on how to evaluate what they are watching. Going off what they are reporting, several posters are able to apply their expert cognitive skills to reassure some of us less able readers of the obvious: That so-and-so is only at camp because he was lucky enough to have been drafted, the higher the more probable, but, you'll see, they'll be busts. Can't catch, no touch on this passes, etc. Their rationalizations are even more hilarious. My personal favorite: "No core strength". . . . sorry, not trying to be mean, it just stuck me as funny. Probably, it was said tongue in cheek,

Last season the most blatant example that comes to mind is our present starting QB. The reporters had him at #4 on the depth chart. Reading what MM had to say (and this went on well into the season): Hell it was debatable if he deserved a spot on the roster at all. Only there because he was a #2 pick by the Niners. Otherwise he would have been released long ago. Inaccurate, has trouble catching on to the schemes, looks lost out there. I n training camp it was a foregone conclusion that Tolzien had left him behind in the dust as #2. Tolzien's ony real competition was coming from JJ. Many of the posters on the WZ were picking up the same refrain.

Surprise: Come the end of training camp, Harbaugh revealed that there had never been an question that Kaepernick was #2. Neither of the other two had shown anything in the way of being able to unseat him. Everybody's (including our intrepid reporter's) objections miraclulously vanish. No acknowledgement of "perhaps I was wrong". Nope . . . never happened. There were other examples of "scrubs" who were only making up the numbers miraculously making the squad.

History repeats itself. The reporters are the same. And they haven't gotten any smater or more insightful. And I dare say some of our posters haven't learnt their lesson. We're a couple of days into camp, with a single day of padded practice, but some already know and we're hearing "I told you so's". Come on, guys!
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:41 AM ]
Jenkins dropping passes during camp is one thing, but dropping them during pre-season would be a big concern because definitely you don't want to see that during a game.

Let it play out. If he is down in the depth chart, we'll know why.

For those who think Jenkins has only ONE game experience is wrong. He has appeared ingame and on the field in a few games, including the Packers game. Whats telling to me is his lack of targets in those games and the way he was skipped over to get on the field in the NFCCG for Chad Hall. He has not done the little fine details it takes to create separation, to get his head around to concentrate, to accept the physicality of how to play receiver and be willing to have contact as an advantage to making plays on the ball.

He is going to have problems if he continues to lack the concentration to bring in the ball knowing hes going to get hit.

Its very telling when AJJ is on the field and we see Kaep dropping back only to tuck the ball and scramble how well Jenkins is doing against his defensive opponent, whether its speed, separation, or the confidence he's earned or not for Kaep to make the throw to him. A lot of Kaep scrambling with AJ on the field will not be a good sign this year
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Not worried about the drops. Early into training camp and first day of pads. Anyone who has worn them will tell you the same thing: It takes a little to get adjusted to them. You get so used to catching balls without them on, when you put them back on it restricts your movement a bit.

you mean he should have been used to catching the ball without pads on for the whole summer and spring. you're a great poster but a football player does not forget how to catch the ball when the pads go on. Period
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Jul 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
According to reports at least we hear AJ Jenkins is dropping passes. But at least he is lining up with the first unit. Kyle Williams seems just as fast and explosive and getting behind people but he is back to his fumbling ways. It's good to hear that AJ Jenkins is lining up with the first unit and Kyle Williams apparently has his speed and quickness back but the other aspects are concerning.

I still cannot believe you're actually serious...
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Not worried about the drops. Early into training camp and first day of pads. Anyone who has worn them will tell you the same thing: It takes a little to get adjusted to them. You get so used to catching balls without them on, when you put them back on it restricts your movement a bit.

you mean he should have been used to catching the ball without pads on for the whole summer and spring. you're a great poster but a football player does not forget how to catch the ball when the pads go on. Period

I didn't say you forget. I said it takes a little adjusting to get used to it again. Hence why even Boldin was dropping balls yesterday. It shouldn't make you drop every single ball or anything but yeah it can definitely cause you to drop a couple as you get re-acclimated to them.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I can't believe of all the draft eligible kick returners we couldn't find one that can actually catch the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone