LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It looks as if the team will do right by this. If I were the front office, I would want to make sure I don't act too quickly and forgive Brown because it may cause fairness issues for other players in the league who "accidentally" miss team trainings. They probably just want to cover all ramifications before they just give Brown the money.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It looks as if the team will do right by this. If I were the front office, I would want to make sure I don't act too quickly and forgive Brown because it may cause fairness issues for other players in the league who "accidentally" miss team trainings. They probably just want to cover all ramifications before they just give Brown the money.

I would use this as an opportunity to negotiate a long term deal.
Originally posted by boast:
we should all send thank you letters to Brown's former agent. the silver lining in this mix up may be that the team has the opportunity to re-sign Brown thru 2014 on the cheap.

LOL no. Yes now both parties have incentive to do an extension. But if the niners get greedy and try to get him for too low he will just play out this mistake and get PAID next year in FA. $2M is not enough of a reason to do something stupid like sign for way under market value. If he has a big season this year he will be the Goldson of next years FA class.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
LOL no. Yes now both parties have incentive to do an extension. But if the niners get greedy and try to get him for too low he will just play out this mistake and get PAID next year in FA. $2M is not enough of a reason to do something stupid like sign for way under market value. If he has a big season this year he will be the Goldson of next years FA class.

I don't know - a good will move of making sure he gets his $2 mil to sign a decent extension might make sense to him if it's not too far under what he thinks he MIGHT be able to get next year. But you're right - if nothing happens and he has a big year, he's next year's Goldson. That's why most analysts are pretty sure the Niners first round pick next draft is the best available corner.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we should all send thank you letters to Brown's former agent. the silver lining in this mix up may be that the team has the opportunity to re-sign Brown thru 2014 on the cheap.

"cheap" may have been a bad choice of words. possibly getting an extra year out of him is what i meant.

"cheap" may have been a bad choice of words. possibly getting an extra year out of him is what i meant.

I doubt he does a 2 year extension. He is 28 and this will probably be his one chance at a real big contract, so he will look for 4-5 years with a big signing bonus. If he reups for 2 more years when he becomes a FA again when he is 31 he probably doesn't get as big of a contract. He is in his prime, his best bet is to wait this out and go to FA unless the 9ers give him a big extension but they can't afford to do that.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/28/harbaugh-says-team-didnt-know-about-tarell-brown-workout-clause/

Florio is a douche.

He is a big time douche. Can't stand him, got a big job, now thinks he is better than everyone else.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=59282

Harbaugh gets it.

Yep. I hope they get it right, and extend him like i have been saying, not a long long term deal, maybe 4 yr total.

AB, did you read his site back before NBC bought it? I'm sure it was a lot better then. I'm guessing he has a lot more pressure to produce with NBC buying it a number of years back, him being on SNF, and all that. Either got a huge ego or is under pressure to keep the clicks coming. He's not far from turning it into TMZ though. Then again a lot of the sites like ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox, and even the NFL's official sites have gone that TMZ route. All about advertisement money and clicks. I had nfl.com on a higher standard but they let me down too. Tebow this, Tebow that... Hernandez, look what Kaepernick is wearing to the ESPY's, blah blah.

As for Brown the 2 mil could hurt in that if we don't give him some or all of it he might be forced to go get a bigger pay day elsewhere. Might also help and that we bend for him a little and in return he re-ups with us for a reasonable price as a thank you. I wouldn't blame the guy for going to get paid though. He's made like 10 mil in 7 years (including this year) and think he started 6 of them. He's way under paid. Goldson was at like 11-12 for his entire career as well and deserved more whether or not people liked him or not. A guy starts for 5-6 years he should be making more than 2 mil on average, especially playing at a pretty high level. I think Brown is a little safer bet than Rogers was and is a few years younger but still don't want to go 4-5 years. I'd be fine with 2-3 at say 5-6 million a year. Wish he would have been reasonable with us but he went and got what the market called for. Griffin got 5, 35 and Goldson was better IMO but then again Titans fans said Griffin really fell off after signing it, Goldson could as well. Anyways, something like 2 years 12 million or 3 years 15 I'd offer Brown... I'd say max would be 3/18... 4/20 would be ok but probably be pushing it with all our FA's we have upcoming. Not saying he doesn't deserve that but just have too many younger guys to sign before over paying him top dollar or close to it. I think he could go out and get 4-5 years and 20-25 mil so depends on if he wants to win or get paid.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM ]
Gore_21 I remember somewhat, Florio is just a giant douche, he is arragont too.

As for Brown, extend him.
I'm certain the Niners FO, who are VERY sharp, will do something proactive w/TB to help him recoup lost $. It has all the potential to be a Win-Win solution.

I'm hoping their good faith will prompt him to sign a deal that works well for all concerned.

I doubt he does a 2 year extension. He is 28 and this will probably be his one chance at a real big contract, so he will look for 4-5 years with a big signing bonus. If he reups for 2 more years when he becomes a FA again when he is 31 he probably doesn't get as big of a contract. He is in his prime, his best bet is to wait this out and go to FA unless the 9ers give him a big extension but they can't afford to do that.

But he is one knee tear away from losing all that value. He will take a huge risk playing a full season for the minimum. We can play on that point and lock him up for a fair deal for both parties.

Niners have all the leverage at this point because he messed up. I'm not saying we should screw the guy, but pay him a fair starting CB amount.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

But he is one knee tear away from losing all that value. He will take a huge risk playing a full season for the minimum. We can play on that point and lock him up for a fair deal for both parties.

Niners have all the leverage at this point because he messed up. I'm not saying we should screw the guy, but pay him a fair starting CB amount.

That is every football player. Goldson did fine, it is the right thing to do. Plus knee tears don't mean what they used to. Used to be a career ender, now it is 8 months recovery.
Great back and forth between Matt Maiocco and and Mike Florio on PFT Live this afternoon. Florio basically got MM to confess that based upon what he knows and has heard internally, the 49ers did nothing to give T. Brown a heads up on the stipulations regarding the contract escalator.

Best tidbit, per Maiocco:

MM: "I don't think there is any question that under Eddie's watch, the 49ers would have found a way to overtly or covertly get that money into Brown's pocket."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/06/pft-live-49ers-talk-with-matt-maiocco-pft-planet-calls-and-tweets-3/
Whatever happened, all 3 are to blame then, 49ers, Brown and Overstreet(Now fired by TB).
Maiocco said that the Niners review those incentives after they are to be earned and that perhaps they should change this practice. But I still say it is the agent and the players responsibility to ensure that the player gets paid. It is the team's responsibility to acquire great talent at good value in order to win championships
Once I forgot where I parked my car at Home Depot. Maybe it's kinda the same thing. Only with two million dollars.
Share 49ersWebzone