LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, he went to my alma mater, U of Texas. So he did go to college, but it seems reading contracts wasn't one of his majors. 20 pages ago I suggested Tarrell should get his 10% back from his agent,( $800K, could that be right?), and have 9ers pay him his $1.2 for showing up on 2nd day. That is a win /win for tarrell and 9ers, and 9ers look good in doing so. It is a loss for the agent. That said:

Honestly, I like ABs suggestion of extending, where tarrell gets more cash money than $2mil, but extends for 3 yrs. Bang, it's done, we get a good deal, Brown gets his money, everybody goes away a winner. All NFL players learn to read their contracts.. Another win.

This, 100% , also cause it includes me,
AB, you are a riot...you got a good belly laugh out of me.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
My old man always taught me to count my money myself and never let another man or woman hold your money. Case in point regardless of who TB hired to do the footwork on his contract, he should know better than anyone the qualifications he needs to meet in order to get paid... point, blank, period.
Then again this could all be smoke and mirrors. Maybe we just found a creative (under handed) way to save two mill in cap space, and we will work the 2mill back into an extension with TB.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
AB, you are a riot...you got a good belly laugh out of me.

I cant keep myself from posting, lol. Glad I got ya to smile and laugh ole buddy. Hope all is good with you.
When I see someone say that Tarrell Brown should have read the contract, I think:

Perhaps this is a true thing; my father always told me to read everything that you put your name on.

On the other hand, I think, That's what he paid that worthless a*****e of an agent for, and that guy just cost him two million dollars.

I would keep him shackled in the basement and remove patches of his skin over a long period of years until I had enough human leather to make a hot air balloon with it, so I think he got lucky with just being fired.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for 24plus25er.
Originally posted by xtm059:
When I see someone say that Tarrell Brown should have read the contract, I think:

Perhaps this is a true thing; my father always told me to read everything that you put your name on.

On the other hand, I think, That's what he paid that worthless a*****e of an agent for, and that guy just cost him two million dollars.

I would keep him shackled in the basement and remove patches of his skin over a long period of years until I had enough human leather to make a hot air balloon with it, so I think he got lucky with just being fired.

You pay a lot of people to do a lot of things for you in this world, but that does not mean that you can be ignorant and blind about anything you pay someone to do for you. The agent handles the footwork and other issues that may arise in you professional life, but that does not mean that you remain ignorant to what's going on with YOUR money. This is the same reason T.O. went broke, "You play football, and we will handle the money." SMH. I just don't get it. My wife handles the bills, but please believe I go over everything after her, with fine attention to detail.
One more thing... I don't even see how the team can say they did not know. I think even the crappiest of companies know how much they pay an employee, rather they are on salary or an hourly employee. The only reason you wouldn't know is if you had no intentions on paying them in the first place. I'm not mad at the team for this because the liability is more on the shoulders of the agent, but at the end of the day losing out on 2mill is not going to make your player any more productive. To be honest at this point I don't want TB on field if this is not resolved before week 1.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
One more thing... I don't even see how the team can say they did not know. I think even the crappiest of companies know how much they pay an employee, rather they are on salary or an hourly employee. The only reason you wouldn't know is if you had no intentions on paying them in the first place. I'm not mad at the team for this because the liability is more on the shoulders of the agent, but at the end of the day losing out on 2mill is not going to make your player any more productive. To be honest at this point I don't want TB on field if this is not resolved before week 1.

Harbaugh might have been speaking from his perspective as a coach and those under him. They are not so concerned with that side of the operation as they are winning football games. I am sure the money team was well informed though and they obviously took advantage of the situation.
They don't go over the implications of every player's contract every day. It's not like the paychecks went out and no one knew why Brown's was 2 mill short.

The team did find out about it when they went through the financials they deal with come training camp, and that's how it came to light. It's absolutely reasonable that no one of note knew about the escalator heading into offseason workouts.

The clause wasn't directly tied to this offseason's workouts, it was a % of workouts over the length of his contract type of stipulation that could very easily go unnoticed until the accountants/lawyers etc get to that stage of the financials where they dig into the finer details of current contract situations and plug in everything to tick off the boxes of what stipulations have been met.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM ]

sign iupati NAO
Originally posted by pdizo916:
sign iupati NAO

It's in the works but they said it's no big hurry. Probably be done by the end of the season. I think it's almost guaranteed to get done its just a matter of time. Don't see Iupati wanting to go anywhere else. I agree though, depending on how much they will give Brown of his 2 mil he lost or if they plan on extending Brown at this time now would be a good time to extend Iupati. Front load some of that and eat up most of that 7.5 million in cap space we have left. He's signed for 1 mil this year and 1.6 in 2014 since he is still on his rookie contract. We could add on 2015, 16, 17, 18... add like 6 million onto his pay this year and next and make it lower for 2015-2018 so we more cap room for Aldon, Kap, Miller, Culliver, Hunter, Crabtree or whoever we want to extend.

And side note on Brown the guys made like 10 million in 7 years (including this year) and was a starter for 6? of them. He should have made 3-4 times that so I wouldn't blame him for wanting to get paid after this year. Since he will be 29 before he plays next year I'd offer him 2-3 years and like 15-18 million. I think he can get 4-5 years at 20-25 million so wouldn't be surprised if he's gone.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:12 AM ]
This is a wonderful lesson for all players! Just as it is when you hear that someone is broke because their agent or lawyer managed their money to zero. You can trust someone to mow your lawn but it's a good idea to check once in a while to be sure it's being done. In this case the agent may have been really good for years and let Brown down but I wouldn't be willing to assume this.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we should all send thank you letters to Brown's former agent. the silver lining in this mix up may be that the team has the opportunity to re-sign Brown thru 2014 on the cheap.
Nice to see Harbaugh try to get TB his money...but, what bothers me about all this is why didn't Tarrel know. Understand he fired his agent, but that's only part of the issue. As a player, you have to know what's in the contract you signed...where the incentives are that can earn you more $$. I don't get it...
Share 49ersWebzone