There are 130 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
niners gotta fix this to keep the good vibes in the locker room
If Brown is in the 9ers plans for the next few years, it seems like a short extension full of reasonable incentives for this year would do the trick - a few interceptions for $250k, 65% of snaps another $250k, etc
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Brown, you mad bro...

I don't blame him. That's like your lawyer telling you, "hey you don't need to show up for court today, it's just paperwork stuff", then next thing you know a policeman is showing up at your door and handcuffing you for not showing up.

No it's worse than that. It's like the lawyer forgot to tell Hernandez that there was a 1 year probation plead deal on the table, but instead the case went to trial
I'm thinking the team should renegotiate Brown's contract for this season to get some of that money lost back to him, not all of it of course, but it would go a long way to having him resign with the team long term instead of bolting for the highest bidder.
The office should not have to notify Brown of anything. Its his job to know what's In His contract. That's his and his agents job. He is a professional football player not a highschool student who has to have the office call him for missing school.
Now with that said the Niners could "help" him regain some of this money in a new deal that's fair to both parties. But if they just bend over then other players will try to take advantage of issues in the future.
Dude is gonna get PAID after this year either way!
Originally posted by Bodhi:
I'm guessing the reason why Brown fired his agent is because his agent didn't make it clear that he needed to show up. If the agent had made it clear then Brown would have been at camp on time.

What kind of agent is so out of touch with his client that he doesn't see a problem when Brown is practicing alone in Texas even though it will cause him $2 million?

Brown's job is solely to get ready for the NFL season and be the best player that he can be. The agent's job is to handle the contract and he's the one who failed

I'm guessing you are arguing for the sake of arguing but perhaps it's a matter of my expecting all human being to be responsible for their own lives. Life's lessons can be tough...but Brown is still the guy who has his own interests at heart more than any other.

It makes me sad that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was broke shortly after retiring from the NBA, but it was his responsibility to make wise decisions in life. He didn't and his money was "stolen" by crooked agents and others. The crooks should go to jail but the player should also take personal responsibility for his mistakes...which Jabbar did. I think Brown will as well. He has fired his agent and is now trying to put things together...no doubt paying more attention to his contract in the future. He hasn't blamed the 49ers or cried about it so maybe lesson learned?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not so sure.

The more I think about this, the harder it gets to understand.

I feel bad for Brown, but the team has to proceed with caution.

How are the players who participated in the off season workouts to get their money going to feel if Brown gets his money without participating.

I can't wait to see what eventually happens.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Not so sure.

The more I think about this, the harder it gets to understand.

I feel bad for Brown, but the team has to proceed with caution.

How are the players who participated in the off season workouts to get their money going to feel if Brown gets his money without participating.

I can't wait to see what eventually happens.
This is very true. Either Brown got some really bad advice or didn't read the fine print. It does suck to lose that kind of money but with his play this year, he has an opportunity to earn every bit of it back and then some. This may be a really good thing for him, as that fire he had to earn a big contract may have just exploded through the roof.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Brown, you mad bro...

I don't blame him. That's like your lawyer telling you, "hey you don't need to show up for court today, it's just paperwork stuff", then next thing you know a policeman is showing up at your door and handcuffing you for not showing up.

No it's worse than that. It's like the lawyer forgot to tell Hernandez that there was a 1 year probation plead deal on the table, but instead the case went to trial

• Bodhi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'm guessing you are arguing for the sake of arguing but perhaps it's a matter of my expecting all human being to be responsible for their own lives. Life's lessons can be tough...but Brown is still the guy who has his own interests at heart more than any other.

It makes me sad that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was broke shortly after retiring from the NBA, but it was his responsibility to make wise decisions in life. He didn't and his money was "stolen" by crooked agents and others. The crooks should go to jail but the player should also take personal responsibility for his mistakes...which Jabbar did. I think Brown will as well. He has fired his agent and is now trying to put things together...no doubt paying more attention to his contract in the future. He hasn't blamed the 49ers or cried about it so maybe lesson learned?
But what is the point of having an agent if you're going to take complete responsibility for your contract? Brown could have saved hundreds of thousands over the course of his career by just not having one

The lesson learned was that he needs to be more careful with who he hires, not that he needs to take a course in contract law so that he can manage his own contract

Originally posted by Bodhi:
But what is the point of having an agent if you're going to take complete responsibility for your contract? Brown could have saved hundreds of thousands over the course of his career by just not having one

The lesson learned was that he needs to be more careful with who he hires, not that he needs to take a course in contract law so that he can manage his own contract

Exactly! But as for taking a course...perhaps a reading course would be in line...he doesn't have to be a rocket scientist or a lawyer.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for Pillbusta.
The agent is responsible. The agent didn't do his job. T Brown job was to play football. Brown did his job well. The agent dropped the ball. No excuse to be made for overstreet
No excuse for the agent...no excuse for Brown.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The agent is responsible. The agent didn't do his job. T Brown job was to play football. Brown did his job well. The agent dropped the ball. No excuse to be made for overstreet

Brown should of been at 49ers HQ. He should of read the contract, he is to blame also. The 49ers aren't gonna fork over $2M to say we're sorry you and your agent are dumbasses.
niners better not give brown s**t unless it's a contract extension that puts some cash in his pocket and locks him up for a few years. not the teams responsibility to compensate brown when he didn't live up to his end of the contract
Share 49ersWebzone