LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
LOL there goes your credibility. You may leave the thread now.

Good troll username though. I found it amusing.

You probably don't even know who that is, so where exactly is your credibility?
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:

Playing for the Falcons wasnt the only reason why Steve Bartkowski didnt win 4 Super Bowls. His career 55.9% comp.% and 75.4 QB rating had something to do with it. Not to mention that threw nearly as many picks as he did TD's...
Originally posted by Furlow:
This guy is trying to play the "what if" game, so I'll bite...

What if Roger Craig doesn't fumble in the 1990 playoff game against the Giants, and Montana doesn't hurt his elbow? We would have beaten the breaks off the Bills. That would have been a three-peat. 1991 he was out the whole year, and the Redskins won it all. Would have likely been another Niners championship. 1992-1995 was the Cowboys-Niners rivalry, and Steve Young choked badly in 1992 and 1993. So let's say they kept Montana and he played all of those years. Montana and the Niners would have basically been at the doorstep of the Super Bowl from 1991 to 1995. So you're talking about anywhere from 5 to 10 Super Bowl titles.

Montana was cold, calculated, and efficient. His style of play embodied everything about the QB position - get your teammates involved, run the clock, keep your opponent off balance, win the game. It seemed boring at times. I'm sure teams would walk off the field saying "this guy sucks how did we lose?" many times. But that was the genius of his play. He was a stone cold assassin, a straight up ninja in cleats.

Let's not forget the rules changes in 1995 (no chucking out of bounds) and 1996 (illegal contact) made it much easier to pass the ball. Many of the QB's mentioned as better than him played a lot of years after 1995, when Montana was retired.

So even in this fantasy "what if" world that the writer is talking about, Montana is still the greatest QB of all time!

Loved the way you put this; I totally agree. Joe cool was the greatest and is not even close to being overrated. If anything he deserves more credit. I'm still mad at Rodger Craig for losing that NFCC game. With Joe Montana the 9ers should have won more than 4 Super Bowls.
Originally posted by Furlow:
This guy is trying to play the "what if" game, so I'll bite...

What if Roger Craig doesn't fumble in the 1990 playoff game against the Giants, and Montana doesn't hurt his elbow? We would have beaten the breaks off the Bills. That would have been a three-peat. 1991 he was out the whole year, and the Redskins won it all. Would have likely been another Niners championship. 1992-1995 was the Cowboys-Niners rivalry, and Steve Young choked badly in 1992 and 1993. So let's say they kept Montana and he played all of those years. Montana and the Niners would have basically been at the doorstep of the Super Bowl from 1991 to 1995. So you're talking about anywhere from 5 to 10 Super Bowl titles.

Montana was cold, calculated, and efficient. His style of play embodied everything about the QB position - get your teammates involved, run the clock, keep your opponent off balance, win the game. It seemed boring at times. I'm sure teams would walk off the field saying "this guy sucks how did we lose?" many times. But that was the genius of his play. He was a stone cold assassin, a straight up ninja in cleats.

Let's not forget the rules changes in 1995 (no chucking out of bounds) and 1996 (illegal contact) made it much easier to pass the ball. Many of the QB's mentioned as better than him played a lot of years after 1995, when Montana was retired.

So even in this fantasy "what if" world that the writer is talking about, Montana is still the greatest QB of all time!

Loved the way you put this; I totally agree. Joe cool was the greatest and is not even close to being overrated. If anything he deserves more credit. I'm still mad at Rodger Craig for losing that NFCC game. With Joe Montana the 9ers should have won more than 4 Super Bowls.
Playing for the Falcons wasnt the only reason why Steve Bartkowski didnt win 4 Super Bowls. His career 55.9% comp.% and 75.4 QB rating had something to do with it. Not to mention that threw nearly as many picks as he did TD's...

Someone who has no clue how different football used to be. Let me clue you into the history of the NFL.

Those numbers were very good for that era of football.

Basically, if you didn't play for the 49ers or Bengals (two teams Walsh left his mark on), you weren't completing 60% of your passes in those days.

It's the system.

Johnny Unitas completed only 54.6% of his passes for his career. I guess he must have sucked, right?

What's funny is, after the Falcons moved to a more modern system, Bartkowski was completing 60%+ of his passes every season. There wasn't a single throw Montana could make that Bartkowski couldn't.
[ Edited by GarciaStinks on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:21 AM ]
Then winning the Superbowl four times must be overrated as well.

Yeah, sounds stupid, doesn't it?
This the problem with oversaturation in the sports media market. Too many people needing to be heard, so they resort to the ridiculous.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I saw the article when I happened to visit NFL.com a couple of days ago. I didn't click on it, and I navigated away from NFL.com as well. NFL.com should have a lot going for it...but its relentless effort to be even more mediocre than ESPN just makes me want to avoid it all together.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vermonator:
Then winning the Superbowl four times must be overrated as well.

Yeah, sounds stupid, doesn't it?

This is a common argument from fans of teams that have never won anything...that winning the "championship tournament" is overrated..maybe even a fluke.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
This the problem with oversaturation in the sports media market. Too many people needing to be heard, so they resort to the ridiculous.

shock jocks

There's a guy on the local Detroit sports radio he's from NY went to MI state and is a total NY yankees/giants and MI State homer

called Joe Montana the most overrated qb of all time a few years ago and had people calling in left and right b***hing at him
he does it for ratings it's dumb and annoying

In his four Super Bowls, Montana completed 83 of 122 passes for 1,142 yards and 11 touchdowns with no interceptions, earning him a passer rating of 127.8. Montana led his team to victory in each game, and is the only player ever to win three Super Bowl MVP awards. Montana also holds the record for most Super Bowl pass completions (83) and pass attempts (122) without throwing an interception.

when montana is under pressure or on the highest stage, no one is better than him. THIS is why montana is the greatest of all time. comparing him to guys now days whos receivers cant be touched is ridiculous. completely different era. the dude saying montana had to comeback in clutch games because of his performance is full of it. if the defense doesnt stop the offense how is that montana's fault?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:

he has more posts and more little red boxes than you. your comparison of bartowski to montana is very revealing to the amount of football knowledge you have. as a matter of fact, i believe i have a thimble that it will fit very nicely into
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
In his four Super Bowls, Montana completed 83 of 122 passes for 1,142 yards and 11 touchdowns with no interceptions, earning him a passer rating of 127.8. Montana led his team to victory in each game, and is the only player ever to win three Super Bowl MVP awards. Montana also holds the record for most Super Bowl pass completions (83) and pass attempts (122) without throwing an interception.

when montana is under pressure or on the highest stage, no one is better than him. THIS is why montana is the greatest of all time. comparing him to guys now days whos receivers cant be touched is ridiculous. completely different era. the dude saying montana had to comeback in clutch games because of his performance is full of it. if the defense doesnt stop the offense how is that montana's fault?
of course this is the truth. The only time we ever remember joe messing up in the many post season games he played was the first dallas game when he threw four picks,,, but he made the big throw when he counted. after that he was pretty much flawless
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Gentleman, gentleman, we must tear down the Gods of yesteryear to make way for our new phallic symbols, which we call the new "greats." Is it wretched to do such things? Why, yes! Of course it is, but alas we do it anyway. Tomorrow the youth, your seeds, will cast down the Tom Brady's, the Larry Fitzgerald's, and Adrian Peterson's of the world in favor of their new pantheon of gridiron greats. The most learned of men and women, though, will know the truth and will fight for it. Yet, they will be shouted down by the all-too powerful warrior: popularity.

If you wish to stop this vicious cycle of deceit and tom-foolery, I suggest you invest in birth control. Or beat the living hell out of your children until they understand who and what Joe f**king Montana was and always shall be: a living, albeit a bit of a dick, deity.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by fropwns:
Gentleman, gentleman, we must tear down the Gods of yesteryear to make way for our new phallic symbols, which we call the new "greats." Is it wretched to do such things? Why, yes! Of course it is, but alas we do it anyway. Tomorrow the youth, your seeds, will cast down the Tom Brady's, the Larry Fitzgerald's, and Adrian Peterson's of the world in favor of their new pantheon of gridiron greats. The most learned of men and women, though, will know the truth and will fight for it. Yet, they will be shouted down by the all-too powerful warrior: popularity.

If you wish to stop this vicious cycle of deceit and tom-foolery, I suggest you invest in birth control. Or beat the living hell out of your children until they understand who and what Joe f**king Montana was and always shall be: a living, albeit a bit of a dick, deity.
bravo!
Share 49ersWebzone