LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 372 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 8749:
After all, he did have Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice. The greatest coach and the greatest WR of all-time.

he won two superbowls without jerry.

And one without Walsh.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Montana was the best. THE Best. Let us not overlook that the premise of this isn't even if he is the best. To keep this in perspective these a$$ clowns argue that the dude who delivered 4 Lombardi trophies to San Francisco was overrated. That's just insanity.

and this same f**king IDIOT doesn't have bradshaw on that list THAT HAD THE GREATEST DEFENSE ever AND two good receivers and a great RB. Bradshaw had more to work with overall than did Joe. MAN THAT GUY IS A f**kING IDIOT.

I don't even like the raiders but he has tim brown as OVERRATED?!?! That muther f**ker isn't in the hall of fame YET he's overrated........
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Jul 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM ]
Check it out. Every media outlet has to have one (or more) schmucks who is controversial, liberal, leftist, rightist, stupidest. These guys definitely fall into one of these categories (you choose which one). Now, they probably have a stiffy for some other QB's, I don't know. I doubt if they ever really watched Joe play any other games than the NFCCG vs Dallas where Joe was still humpin' to get his team to the SB despite his mistakes (how many games did it take Young to get a ring?) And I would like these gentlemen to name a QB who took the a$$ kicking that Joe took from the Reggie White/Jerome Brown, et.al Eagles in '89 IN Veterans Stadium on that turf covered concrete and come out on top. Never even heard of these two imbeciles.
[ Edited by NinerTy on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]
He is overrated by 49ers fans. When you talk about the 49ers beating the 92/93 Cowboys with Montana, despite their piss-poor defenses/weaker overall team than Dallas, that's overrating him. When you talk about the 49ers 7 or 8-peating with Joe, that's overrating him. I guess people forgot the games against the Giants in 85 and 86, or the Vikings in 87? The regular season games where he stunk vs. the Bears and their 46?

When you trash Steve Young and praise Joe, and claim that he is "hands down the GOAT," you are overrating him.

I suggest checking out the subreddit, "r/S**t49erfanssay" (only replace the two stars with the obvious letters). http://www.reddit.com/r/s**t49erfanssay/
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:
He is overrated by 49ers fans. When you talk about the 49ers beating the 92/93 Cowboys with Montana, despite their piss-poor defenses/weaker overall team than Dallas, that's overrating him. When you talk about the 49ers 7 or 8-peating with Joe, that's overrating him. I guess people forgot the games against the Giants in 85 and 86, or the Vikings in 87? The regular season games where he stunk vs. the Bears and their 46?

When you trash Steve Young and praise Joe, and claim that he is "hands down the GOAT," you are overrating him.

I suggest checking out the subreddit, "r/S**t49erfanssay" (only replace the two stars with the obvious letters). http://www.reddit.com/r/s**t49erfanssay/

Do you have any clue what "overrated" means? It doesn't sound like it.

Ranked #4 player and #1 qb of all time...yeah he's definitely overrated...

Overrated means something is rated by people higher than it should be. So you post that he was rated 4th all-time and the #1 QB of all-time to somehow show he's NOT overrated?

Classic. I take it you ate paint chips when you were little?
  • Garce
  • Veteran

Overrated means something is rated by people higher than it should be. So you post that he was rated 4th all-time and the #1 QB of all-time to somehow show he's NOT overrated?

this dude is a troll

I think the point Donnie was trying to make is that it's not just 49er fans who rate Joe as the best of all-time. The NFL Top 100 rankings was compiled from a panel consisting of current and former NFL coaches, players, executives, and members of the media. He's not being overrated by a biased group of 49er fans. It is the national consensus that Joe is the #1 QB of all-time
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think the point Donnie was trying to make is that it's not just 49er fans who rate Joe as the best of all-time. The NFL Top 100 rankings was compiled from a panel consisting of current and former NFL coaches, players, executives, and members of the media. He's not being overrated by a biased group of 49er fans. It is the national consensus that Joe is the #1 QB of all-time

No, he accused me of not knowing what "overrated" means, then showed me that he's rated ridiculously high, ironically proving he doesn't know what "overrated" means.

No, he accused me of not knowing what "overrated" means, then showed me that he's rated ridiculously high, ironically proving he doesn't know what "overrated" means.

Doesn't change the fact that Montana was voted #1 QB by his contemporaries. Sure, 49er fans are guilty of praising him like he's some kind of deity, but he's not overrated. He IS the greatest QB of all-time.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM ]

Doesn't change the fact that Montana was voted #1 QB by his contemporaries. Sure, 49er fans are guilty of praising him like he's some kind of deity, but he's not overrated. He IS the greatest QB of all-time.

I don't agree. What makes him the greatest of all-time? The supposed "clutchness?" What goes unsaid is the fact that he played the rest of the game, too. Why did he even need to come back in the first place?

Besides which, quarterbacks don't win championships, teams do.

From a pure passing standpoint, there were lots better. Steve Bartkowski could have been Joe Montana, but he was stuck in Atlanta.

If you polled ALL sports fans on who the best QB of all time was, Joe Montana would win. It has nothing to do with 49er fans overrating him.

You said Montana is overrated by 49er fans. I'm showing you the NFL Top 100 which is not done by 49er fans, get it???

I don't agree. What makes him the greatest of all-time? The supposed "clutchness?" What goes unsaid is the fact that he played the rest of the game, too. Why did he even need to come back in the first place?

Besides which, quarterbacks don't win championships, teams do.

From a pure passing standpoint, there were lots better. Steve Bartkowski could have been Joe Montana, but he was stuck in Atlanta.

LOL there goes your credibility. You may leave the thread now.

Good troll username though. I found it amusing.

thank you
Share 49ersWebzone