There are 144 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
this whole thing they're doing on overrated/underrated players is stupid. 49ers fan or not I don't get how someone could say Montana is overrated, 4-0 in superbowls and never threw a pick...and he destroyed Marino and Elway in those superbowls.
Hawker84 just stated that Dan McGwire and Rick Mirer were both better than Montana.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
he would never say brady is overrated. Man, i would call him a certain gay slur if my warning wasn't so high.

I resent Brady due to SpyGate being when Brady was just developing. He's very good now, but I think less of him for the way he developed.

As for Joe? He was great, and definitely not overrated. But... he wasn't flawless.

True, he was only 4-0 in SBs with a ridiculous passer rating and 0 INT. f**kin bum
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
some things are not worth answering
Completely different sets of receivers and running backs for 1 and 2 versus 3 and 4.

Highest all time QB Rating in Super Bowls - nobody will ever beat that.

Intangibles off the scale.

Did Elway, Marino and Moon have stronger arms? Sure. So what. So did Jeff George and Jim Drunkenmiller. Strong arm doesn't really help unless you really know how to play the game.

Nobody was cooler in the pocket. I've seen very few QB's who seem to have ice water in their veins like he did. Actually, Kaepernick may have some of that.
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
Hawker84 just stated that Dan McGwire and Rick Mirer were both better than Montana.

That's got to be sarcasm. He's smarter than that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No no everyone we're just homers, so this gotta be true.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No no everyone we're just homers, so this gotta be true.

• Veteran
After all, he did have Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice. The greatest coach and the greatest WR of all-time.
[ Edited by 8749 on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 8749:
After all, he did have Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice. The greatest coach and the greatest WR of all-time.

he won two superbowls without jerry.

What a waste of a read. But he did point out something interesting. Superbowls aside, if you compared Young vs Montana, Id agree that Young was the BETTER athlete and the better quarterback skill for skill. Joe Montana's edge (besides championships) was his ability to come back from behind and put up great performances come playoff time. Young obviously lacked this key component. He was great during the season, but always short when it counted (for the fans from the post Montana/Young era, think Peyton Manning). In terms of athleticism and pure quarterbacking ability, Id go with Young.
Wow. That has to be one of the worst things I have ever read. Whoever wrote that makes Grant Cohn look like Matt Maiocco.
To them "overrated" means he gets praise as the GOAT, but didnt have the regular season numbers of a Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. Montana was into winning, not statistics. What makes a QB great is how he performs in the clutch, when the team needs a comeback, and during the playoffs. Montana was the best EVER in all 3 of those situations.

also, Dashon Goldson might be the most overrated 49er ever. At least in the last decade. Couldnt cover, didnt know his assignments, racked up late hits in costly moments, etc. He hit hard and forced some fumbles, but he was a detriment just as often as he was an asset. Almost a poor mans Troy Polamalu, who incidentally might be the most overrated NFL player of this generation.

Im glad the 49ers understood how mediocre Goldson really was, and let TB pay him stupid longterm money.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Everyone please send a nice comment to those fantastic writers.
dont know about you guys but this part pisses me off more than anything else:

He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group?

So its now Joes fault he could connect with his offence while the other mentioned QBs couldnt do so with theirs? Its the 49ers players fault to not only stay with a good thing in Montana but re-sign with the 49ers? Its the 49ers for letting these players re-sign with the team instead of finding other players that might might-not fit in what Walsh was trying to accomplish and new targets for Montana to throw at?

Why is it that he was only good because he was surrounded by a great cast of players? These players might have not kicked on in another team, they may not have ever reached the heights they are known for today, if they had gone to another team. While other teams were looking for the next Rice, Jones, Craig and Walsh, Montana was making it happen in a whole new offense Walsh was putting together year after year.

Montana didnt just jump in on a team that was ready to go to the SB and were the toast of the NFL and Im sure neither did the other QBs mentioned in the article. Montana started at the bottom and could do everything Walsh was looking for in a QB that could run his new offence, the difference is that the 49ers, yes Mr. D, saw a good thing and bent over backwards to keep the important parts together, unlike his counterparts in other teams who couldnt find the next Walsh so decided to bring in a salary cap.
Share 49ersWebzone